Sign in to follow this  
Nessus

Say about 20 guns, some on the surface, some on the towers....

Well, since finishing this last year with parts from Eric G, I have been more of a lurker than a contributor.

DSC02598-1.jpg

So on the bench is a 1/48 Y Wing from Blue Moon. This resin kit was originally mastered by Alfred Wong and marketed by SMT until SMT received a cease and desist from Lucasfilm. I am unaware if the Blue Moon version is still available. The kit is cast in a blue resin and comes with the brass rods for the various exposed tubes and water slide decals. I had to purchase new brass from the LHS as the kit supplied pieces were oversized. The kit also comes with the necessary T stock to create the engine vector ring supports.

DSC02690.jpg

As with any resin kit, there can be some amorphous detail (although this is becoming less likely with 3D printed masters but the casting process can do all sorts of wonderful things to a great master!). Specifically some of the detail immediately aft of the engine domes needed to be removed and replaced. 16 small styrene tubes with lead wire rings. Thankfully I've made 2, so there are only 14 more to go! The cockpit section also had non descript detail and panel lines, so I shaved off the detail and have overplated it with thin styrene. Once this is squared up, I will rengrave and then replace the detail.

I didn't get a pilot, so he is from the old Monogram Su-25 with the face dremelled out and replaced with the face from a blister gunner for the Mongram Catalina. Brass tubing replaced the barrels for the nose and ion cannons. The head for the R5D4 astromech is a rocket pod from the Su-25.

DSC02692.jpg

The base will be a bunch of resin tiles representing the Death Star surface. These are of mixed quality from an aftermarket source, although the better ones are also available from Starship Modeler. To help them along a little I've added various greeblies here and there, including parts from the Su-25, a Monogram P-38, a SD Gundam, the AMT X-wing, Tamiya JGSDF Type 90 and Wave Option parts.

DSC02691.jpg

Comments, criticisms, other welcome. And yes I know, my photography sucks.

Edited by Nessus

Awesome! I'm glad to see so much sci-fi content in this forum. I was afraid when we launched it that it would be nothing but 1/48 jets! Looking forward to more of this mate.

Kev

To be honest, the list of sci if kits I have is way longer than my arm and far outstrips my 1/32 or larger real world collection. Mind you, I do have a 1/24 studio scale Mike Salzo v3 x-wing waititng in the wings and a 1/350 rebel blockade runner from A New Hope as well.

To be honest, the list of sci if kits I have is way longer than my arm and far outstrips my 1/32 or larger real world collection. Mind you, I do have a 1/24 studio scale Mike Salzo v3 x-wing waititng in the wings and a 1/350 rebel blockade runner from A New Hope as well.

Good selection :thumbsup:

So things have been a little slow with training for and then riding a 100 km mountain bike race last weekend - which unfortunately ended in tears, not through injury but because my rear derailleur exploded and basically prevented a strong finish (well actually any finish!). So now I'm not only modelling and drinking fine Australian red wine (I have a cellar of about 1000 bottles) to drown my sorrows, I'm also trawling the net for replacement parts and trying to decide whether to change drivetrain formats. Thankfully my bike frame is ok.

Anyway, the front hull is now overplated with styrene and has been rescribed. Styrene shapes have been used to replace lost/soft details.

DSC02700.jpg

And a shot from the rear:

DSC02699.jpg

The left exhaust is primed and in place, the final guide ring t-strut is in place. I've also added the two brass tubes at the rear of the kit prominent in at least one of the filming miniatures.

Along with this, my R5D4 is coming along and should be ready for priming shortly.

Edited by Nessus

So things have been a little slow with training for and then riding a 100 km mountain bike race last weekend - which unfortunately ended in tears, not through injury but because my rear derailleur exploded and basically prevented a strong finish (well actually any finish!). So now I'm not only modelling and drinking fine Australian red wine (I have a cellar of about 1000 bottles) to drown my sorrows, I'm also trawling the net for replacement parts and trying to decide whether to change drivetrain formats. Thankfully my bike frame is ok.

The Y-wing looks great. I have a few of the Fine Molds kits in the stash (including the Millenium Falcon) and as others have mentioned, it's great to see other subjects come up.

Sorry to hear about the derailleur exploding. I had that happen to a brand new 8spd XT riding the bike home from the shop. At leastbthey warrantied it. If you're running Shimano, the new clutch type rear derailleurs are getting great reviews. I haven't tried one myself yet. What kind of bike do you ride? I just picked up my fourth Ibis, a Mojo HD and a Surly Pugsley last fall.

Carl

On this particular day, I was riding my Scott Spark 20 (26" wheels - and no, I won't be getting a 29er!) which was running 3x9 SRAM X0, so my Nugget Gold rear derailleur is no more and they are OOP.

So I have to either bite the bullet and jump to 2x10 or try and find a replacement 3x9 rear mech (which are around, just not gold ones!).

So just today I scored a 42/28 175 mm GXP X0 crankset for US$175, so it looks like I'll be going down the 2x10 path. (Mind you, torpedo 7 has 170 mm GXP XX 42/28 for AUD$250 - absolute bargain!). I'll probably stick to SRAM as I like the positive shift - unfortunately the last XT shifters I bought for my son were so soft touch you never knew where you were in the cluster, so I swapped them out for X0 as well. There ended my previous MTB relationship with Shimano.

Nothing against Shimano, my hardtail (an original GT Xizang Ti LE) and other dually (original GT LTS Team with Ti swing arm) both run 3x9 XTR M960/1 which is the dual shifter version and they are outstanding.

And my road bike, a BMC SL01, runs Ultegra 6700 with Dura Ace C24 rims, which is again faultless.

So after an interminable struggle with Photobucket, some minor areas of progress to report, and again apologies for the photo quality in advance!

DSC02702.jpg

The cockpit is decked out using plastic card and some copper wire.

DSC02704.jpg

Painted up with a pilot! The pilot comes from the Monogram Su-25 kit, but one of the arms is from one of the maintenance workers from the old Monogram P-61. Helmet is modified with Tamiya putty and the face is from a Monogram PBY-5A blister gunner. He even has a yellow tinted perspex visor.

DSC02709.jpg

With the canopy frame on. Glazing was cut from an old Hasegawa Tritool box and has been covered with liquid mask. The blue is straight intermediate blue and is too dark - I will fix that later.

DSC02708.jpg

There are 16 of these white rods space evenly around the domes, each with 5 lead wire rings - that nearly drove me nuts. I've also dressed up the area behind the head as there were some pretty ugly looking mould lines. I used sheet styrene and Wave option parts to add some interest there but unfortunately don't have a photo of that area.

Edited by Nessus

Now with the all important yellow flash on the front hull section. The decal was used to make a frisket mask (nothing wrong with the decal quality - they were printed by JT Graphics).

DSC02711.jpg

The green dots are liquid mask.

After painting the canopy and nacelle rings blue, that will be it (more or less) for the colour work. After that its all weathering, which will start with oils to discolour certain areas, rather than just relying on a heavy wash.

Edited by Nessus