Encore Fokker F.I

csavaglio

That'sam awesome photo.....much appreciated. Looks like I prob went too heavy ok the streaking, but too late now. The rudder is definitely white and not yellow. The cowl matches the metal lip just behind it, so unless that was yellow too, I'd still bet olive for the cowl.

C

That'sam awesome photo.....much appreciated. Looks like I prob went too heavy ok the streaking, but too late now. The rudder is definitely white and not yellow. The cowl matches the metal lip just behind it, so unless that was yellow too, I'd still bet olive for the cowl.

C

The most interesting thing to me is the fact that the entire forward fuselage is dark, and that's not a shadow effect. It also seems to be a different color than the cowl, or vice versa.

The only parts that would be solid color, unless painted that way, would be the metal coaming, which isn't really all that visible from that angle. Looking at other photos on the web, it looks as though the streaking is probably darker on the sections just behind the cowling, but it's definitely streaked.

Check out the 3rd photo down here....

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/103_17.htm

I believe it is the shadow effect, at least partially. You can see the shadow starts right where the cutout on the center wing meets the fuselage and you can see about 3/4 of the way toward the bottom wing that the difference in shade starts to bend to the rear. If the photo was taken around noon, and judging from the shadow directly below the tail, it probably was, then I think this is what the shadow would look like. A similar demarcation shows up in other photos, but in different places on the fuselage....to me, looks like angles in relation to the sun's position.

A similar pattern looks to be there on some photos of 102/17....

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/images/Fokker%20F.I%20102.jpg

And another later Dr.I....

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/images/Dr1_115-17_01.jpg

Keep in mind that the upper wing is very far forward and staggered.......between the upper and middle wings, most of the area in front of the cockpit would be shadowed.

Then again, I'm a total amateur at photo interpretation and could be way out there.

I love this sort of discussion. In the second link you provided, I see two things. Specifically; of the two men standing on the far right, the nearer man is casting a shadow on the man to his right, as well as the fourth man from the right (in front of the wheel), meaning the sun is above and behind his left shoulder. Also, the lower wing leading edge shadow is behind the leading edge of the lower wing itself, confirming sun position. Considering that, I'd have to say area behind cowl is in full (even if it's overcast), illumination, and is still uniformly dark, though probably streaked as you pointed out.

http://www.fokkerdr1...ker F.I 102.jpg

OK, I don't want to come off as smug here (I think I do that sometimes), but I think that in the photo I provided, the shadowy appearance adjacent to the 103/17 is a consequence of the inward bend to the fuselage along that horizontal line. The apparently uniform darkness (not necessarily a solid color, just very dark), I don't believe is a shadow. If it were, the fuselage would be casting an equally dark shadow, which it is not.

Kevin,

I think these discussions are how ideas come about and are very good. I agree that the front is probably darker....but I do think it's streaked, going by other photos of that aircraft and even looking close at yours. It could be because of how it was streaked at the factory, but I don't think it was any kind of color applied after production....if I recall, this airplane only existed for a few weeks before Voss' famous flight.

I've seen a few profiles where it showed the streaking darker at the front. It goes against what most people accept it as though.

Another interesting point here is that the wheel covers are uniform. I noticed this in photos of 102/17 also. Production tripes had the typical Fokker pattern on the wheels....2 different colors outer and inner. I wonder if the wheel was solid olive green. That's how I plan on finishing mine.

Chris

I have no idea regarding the wheel covers. It wasn't altogether uncommon for the wheel covers to be painted in unit colors. There are many interesting profiles in the Jagdstaffeln book, do you have it?

Jagdstaffeln_zps471d82fc.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well, I got moved in, started my new job and have been spending every spare moment trying to undo the "professional" work the body shop unleashed on my old Vette.

Anyhow, I'm back at it and finally sitting down at the workbench. Since I'm well on my way with the little tripe, I figured I'll get my feet wet again with this before I dig back into the U-2.

Photos to follow when I've made some progress.

C

Ok, guys, here you go. The engine is OOB with some plug wires added and styrene rod pushrods. Couldn't be simpler....although aligning the cylinders was a challenge. Alclad and Tamiya paint, with a oil wash from AK.

The decals are Cartograph and work great. Coming along....

C

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

Edited by csavaglio

• 3 weeks later...

Good job!

However, normally we like to have the mods grab these and stick them into the GB build galleries only because we like to get the images attached and uploaded to the server as apposed to just using a link from normal pic hosting site...................that way the pics are permanently there in the GB gallery.

Normally the mods are quite busy so I do some volunteering in the GB arena to help out.............

If you can, can you see if you delete your post entry in the GB gallery and Ill grab your pics and upload them to the server.

Cheers,

*EDIT*

I didnt realize I could just edit things in the GB gallery, so I just took your post and removed the URLs and uploaded the pics straight onto the server...............done!

Great end result on the F1!

Heres the final result:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=43699&do=findComment&comment=475269

Edited by Out2gtcha