Hobby Boss P-61B out

Dave Williams

So would "Times a Wastin" (Snuffy Smith) be doable with this kit? I ask because the Monogram 1/48 kit was one of the first I can remember buying for myself about (mumble, mumble) years ago, and I thought I might take a crack at recreating my youth but in "aging adult" scale!

eoyguy,

You could do Suffy's 'Time's A wastin' P-61A ('595') from the kit by simply shortening the the fuselage nose by a scale 8" and build it as per the kit instructions (BTW, the photograph below is a P-61A, not a P-61B as stated).

smithswidow-1.png

I have not seen a photograph of the oft dipicted P-61B ('405') of the same name, but that is also 'doable'.

HTH

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Thanks Derek

So if my elementary math skills are correct, that would be a real world 1/4 inch, yes?

Cheers

Jason

And of course waiting for someone to do he decals, though I am guessing the thought process will be wait, they will probably release the A version with those marking next???

Thanks Derek

So if my elementary math skills are correct, that would be a real world 1/4 inch, yes?

Cheers

Jason

And of course waiting for someone to do he decals, though I am guessing the thought process will be wait, they will probably release the A version with those marking next???

Hi Jason,

8" in 1/32 scale equates to 6.35mm or 1/4" in old money.

You could be right about the markings - I have absolutely no idea if they shall release an A version or not? (If you really want one in those markings, then it is custom decals or masks for the time being).

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Thanks again, Derek. Unless someone does an aftermarket set for that scheme (cough, Zotz, cough) I would probably try scanning and scaling up the Revell decals and printing them on decal film myself, but the last set I saw was so out of register as to be unusable. Plus there some white in there that would be problematic. Oh well, I can wait and see what comes of it.

Cheers

Jason

Thanks again, Derek. Unless someone does an aftermarket set for that scheme (cough, Zotz, cough) I would probably try scanning and scaling up the Revell decals and printing them on decal film myself, but the last set I saw was so out of register as to be unusable. Plus there some white in there that would be problematic. Oh well, I can wait and see what comes of it.

Cheers

Jason

Jason,

If you are going to the trouble of making your own decals for this kit, then I would skip the Revell decals completely and look at scaling up (or down?) the colour plate nose art image of 'Time's A wastin' from this book as a starting point, as it is accurate:

9781855327252.JPG

HTH

Derek

Hi Tim, thanks. 2 things. I didn't see "Times a Wastin" on their sheets, and is there a 1/32 Jaguar out or about to be released? They have decals for them already.

Derek,

Thanks on the advice on the decals. I will probably just wait and see how it plays out on the aftermarket front. I'm guessing that someone will release them since they could either be used on this kit with minor mods, or (assuming there will be another kit of the A version), they would be suitable for that kit as well.

Cheers

Jason

Edited by eoyguy