Hobby Boss P-61B out

Dave Williams

Great advice. Can you recommend any drawings which illustrate this?

Hi Andy,

The photgraphs in my other postings here will help you a lot. This drawing represents the early P-61A pretty well with the metal/plexiglas radome as supplied in the HB kit.

P-61A%20(ra).jpg

All that you need to do is reduce the length of the kit fuselage back to the front of the nose wheel bay forward bulkhead (this is the 8" fuselage plug extension of the P-61B over the P-61A, which works out about 6.35mm in 1/32 scale). The kit radome is then attached to this forward nose wheel bay bukhead line and you have a P-61A! The kit main gear doors are single piece, which is correct for the P-61A, but not the P-61B.

Depending upon which particular theatre of operation you wish to make your Widow as, you will have to decide whether you need to use the top turret or not. Only the first 37 P-61A's had the turret installed (and these all went to the PTO). The turret was not installed again until close to the end of the P-61B production run (last 44 aircraft I think off the top of my head, but I shall need to check that out). So, if you wish to make an ETO, MTO P-61A, you'll need to delete the turret and plate over the turret position.

HTH

Derek

Price aside, that's an impressive looking kit with what appears to be a ton of detail, I will be definitely saving up for this one! One question to those who know the plane, and looking at the spruce pics and instructions on 1999.co.jp, are the ailerons really that short? They look almost comical on the wing

Hi Dave,

I couldn't reply to you in time as I was busy replying to anothe P-61 post. As Dave quite rightly points out, the wing tip ailerons were only really auxiliiary to the aircraft's retractable wing spoilerons which were the main ailerons. They were used more for trimming and gentle roll than anything use.

Don't do what HB (and Great Wall) have done with their upper wing spoilerons on thier display models and have both fully deployed and/or reversed!

Regards

Derek

I'll have to wait and see on this one, but I'm glad to see the technical assistance coming out so soon; this is a great kit to be released, and it's good to see the corrections available for those that want to do them. i'm sure that the P-61 gurus will have much more to say when this is more commonly found.

I'll have to wait and see on this one, but I'm glad to see the technical assistance coming out so soon; this is a great kit to be released, and it's good to see the corrections available for those that want to do them. i'm sure that the P-61 gurus will have much more to say when this is more commonly found.

I agree Mike - I am certainly looking forward to getting one of these babies by either hook or crook! (it is great to actually see this aircraft realised in plastic in our scale at long last).

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Thanks for the reply Derek, very much appreciated, prefer the A - will you be doing a set of wheels too?

The main wheels that I am making for the B-25 will also be appropriate for the P-61 as well ;) (The nose wheel may be close, but I do not believe that it is 100% correct for the P-61, so I shall need to check that out; in which case, I will be making a P-61 specific set of wheels).

Cheers

Derek