Anyone ever (Scratchbuilt or) built a 1/32nd C-130?

Radders

As title really, with Iains Connie and Toms B-29, which are both insanely large + the HK B-17 close by, it got me thinking about the Italeri 1/48th C-130 and how big a 1/32nd one would be?

Interested to see if anyone has ever scratch built one before as I can't find no into on a vac one etc?

Radders.

No, but I am working on the Testors/Italeri 1/48 kit of the AC-130A Spectre for a pal of mine who was a flight engineer on one in Vietnam during the bloodletting days. Maybe I should take photos of the progress.

In 1/48 the wingspan is a smidgen over 33 1/8 inches (84.2 cm).

In 1/32 scale the wingspan would be an iota under 47 3/4 inches (126.9 cm). I do not know about you guys but I would never try to use plastic for a model that big in 1/32. However, I can see making it of wood and then covering it in plastic sheet. But then I have been around a while and prefer the materials and techniques that I mastered back when battleships had sails (you didn't know I sailed with John Paul Jones, did ya?).

There is a paper card model of the C-130 Hercules by a company called Fly (probably in Poland). It is their kit #70 and is in 1/33 scale. I paid $35.00 for it years ago. I do not know if it is still available. The beauty of the paper card models kits is that they are all flat cardboard and one can get it onto a copy machine and make an enlarged copy to 1/32 scale. Then use the copy as a pattern to cut the parts out of sheet plastic. Personally, I would include carbon fiber rods or beams as spars to reinforce the wings and tail and keep them from sagging. Yes, there are areas where one would use either carved wood or maybe half a pound of putty to get the curved surfaces to actually be curved. But this is a scratch build so a scratch builder would have no problem and no objection to doing all this work. He would probably enjoy it.

Stephen

As title really, with Iains Connie and Toms B-29, which are both insanely large + the HK B-17 close by, it got me thinking about the Italeri 1/48th C-130 and how big a 1/32nd one would be?

Interested to see if anyone has ever scratch built one before as I can't find no into on a vac one etc?

Radders.

ahh.....it "scratched" my mind :hmmm: :hmmm:

In 1/32 scale the wingspan would be an iota under 47 3/4 inches (126.9 cm).

Not quite. The full size C-130H has a wingspan of 132' 7" (40.4 m), so that comes out to 49.71875" (1262.86mm) in 1/32 scale.

In any case, it'll be a bit large for a display model...

D

Not quite. The full size C-130H has a wingspan of 132' 7" (40.4 m), so that comes out to 49.71875" (1262.86mm) in 1/32 scale.

In any case, it'll be a bit large for a display model...

D

Yep, you are correct. No wonder I never could balance my checkbook. :shrug:

Stephen

It would be big, but perfectly doable. My 1/32nd B-29 has a span of 54" or there abouts so a Herc of the same scale would be slightly smaller.

If it was done it'd be most likely a vac job using 1.5/2mm plastic. Again my B-29 is 1.5mm and is perfectly stable. Either that or as suggested build the main structure from wood or thick plastic card and then skin it with plastic sheet.

Either way, it would be an impressive model!

I'd certainly give it a go, if a vac were available. I'd definitely go for an AC-130 gunship though! There's an amazing build going on over on the ARC forum (and others) of a 1/48 gunship by a guy called Bob Waltman but unfortunately his photobucket account has expired or something because his images keep disappearing. You can still google his name & find some pics to get an idea of the level of his talent - translate that to 1/32 and you'd have a show stopper!

Cheers for the replies just thinking out loud as I'm toying with my next project after the Hudson (Coming on nicely btw!). Might look into these FLY card kits and go from there. They got some interesting subjects though in 1/33rd scale here.

1/33rd Tu-22 anyone? http://www.gpm.pl/eng/index.php?akcja=produkt&edycja=6345 :D

Edited by Radders