Kinetic Hawk RAAF, FINISHED!!!!!!!!

ericg

Some more modelling fun for the day, in between casting lots of resin.

The leading edges of the intakes are a darker colour than the inside and the outside of the intakes. I think it must be a protector strip or something. Using the technique as above, this process was much easier to do.

null_zps4f67d605.jpg

I also have noticed that the leading edge of the tail is also darker so masked it of and sprayed it.

null_zps24fa08f9.jpg

Some painting fun... NOT!

null_zps74154050.jpg

Here are the main undercarriage legs before the application of an Archer dry transfer placard...

null_zpsaad5258c.jpg

and after.. These dry transfer placards are very cool.

d6e34b5b-921f-46d3-8097-2cd540efb9de_zps

Just toolin' around to see how it looks, really starting to enjoy this build. I still need to adjust the bombs slightly into position.

null_zps8bef1ba2.jpg

WOW! Really nice work Eric... I always believed that the realism is in the small details and you definitely have an eye for that!! And, the skills to make it all that much more realistic!

Great job mate!

Cheers

Alan

Well I have started the decal process, which I always enjoy.

First I layed down a nice coat of Future

null_zps6adffff8.jpg

I purchased the Hamilton Hobbies decal sheet, mainly for the 76 Squadron band on the tail. Here is the kit cartograph band that I have cut out (to help with positioning compared to the Hamilton decals. The colour of the kit band is very different (and wrong) compared to the Hamilton ones.

null_zps40ff6511.jpg

I am trying to use the kit decals where possible as they are Cartograph after all. I feel the Hamilton decals are neccesary for the finish of the kit as they contain some stencils that the kit decals miss. There are some register issues though and for this reason I am using alot less of them than I would have liked to.

Here is the 76sqn Panther head (kit decal) applied to the Hamilton band.

null_zps1dad1156.jpg

I thought I would give the Maketar mask set (RAAF roundels) a go as I haven't used a masks before. The kit decal roundels are way too dark and will not look right applied to the model. I was going to use the Hamilton set but they are a bit too fuzzy for my liking... so I decided to mask em. Impressed with the process so far, although my colour choice was too light a shade of grey. I have since scrubbed the pain off and will re-apply once the touch ups dry.

null_zpse3d5dfb8.jpg

null_zps0618ed9b.jpg

Thin paint and low pressure is the name of the game here

null_zpsf75ec93a.jpg

As I said before, a bit too light. I think the closest colour I am going to get is going to be Tamiya fine surface primer (grey), so I will give it a go tomorrow.

null_zpsc2b887fe.jpg

I spotted some placards on a walkaround that I thought would look good (and my good mate Whitey also picked up on them) so I thought I would try some of the Archer dry transfers. (If you can read what they say, you are WAY to close to my model... !!)

null_zps2bc44f30.jpg

So here are the results of using the Maketar RAAF roundel set. Overall, I am very impressed with this method of applicatino of the national markings and would highly recommend them to anyone. They are actually very easy to use and have th eobvious benifit of being able to conform to any surface. My reference pics have the leading edges of the wing roundels going over 2 of the vortex generators, and I reckon that alone would have caused all sorts of problems with the traditional decal.

For the record, the roundels are painted with the nice grey colour of Tamiya fine surface primer.

null_zps7a44f58f.jpg

null_zpsbda4b0c8.jpg

null_zpsb05127db.jpg

null_zps1aaa442e.jpg

I finally decided on a tail number, that being A27-22

null_zps7208ebd4.jpg

I have used a combo of the kit decals and Hamilton Hobbies decals, mainly for the stencils. They sort of compliment each other in that where the kit decals are missing a stencil, the Hamilton sheet has it and vice versa. The small black line is a detail that I have seen in lots of walkarounds that I thought would look good. I cut up some black decal and applied it.

null_zpsa728c9be.jpg

Here is one place that you will need the Hamilton decals, the NO STEP signs in the kit are the wrong colour and dissapear as soon as they are applied.

null_zpsc83c5e33.jpg

Brilliant Eric, just brilliant! You've certainly done this kit proud and it's not even finished yet!! As a 'lazy modeller' sitting here in the UK what I'd like now is for you to list out all the 'conversion and addittional' bits you've put on it - don't want much do I?

Now how about some progress on your Hunter T.7??

Best wishes,

Steve S.

Hi Steve,

Good question. I have done the following (off the top of my head)

Scratchbuilt instrument panels

New throttles

Modified Control Sticks

Modified nose leg

Changed some details on the main gear legs and added brake lines

Added raised rivets under the rear of the fuselage and parachute pack housing

Scratchbuilt inner and outer pylons

Scratchbuilt gun pod

added 2 new aerials

Scratchbuilt CBLS 200 pods

added a highly modified Matterhorn circle det cord to the canopy

Scribed a whole heap of missed panel lines

scratchbuilt the two horizontal antenna's eather side of the tail

Removed the vortex generators aft of the outer wing fence

And I still have lots to do!

The Hunter is on the Shelf of Doom until I can match accurate colours of the Cam.

Eric.

Since I am all about tweaking this kit (and in this late stage I shouldn't be doing stuff like this... ) I really have something for sight gauges, so I had to come up with something creative to depict the one that is on the right hand side of the fuselage.

Here is the kit fuselage, notice the small raised ring above and to the left of the Danger Hot Air decal.

null_zpsbb8f58d2.jpg

Decal no. 156 is supposed to go over the top of it, I am pretty sure it is too big and there certainly wont be any depth to it.

null_zpsfbb6422e.jpg

I drilled out the raised circle, ensuring there was enough of a ring left. I then punched out the decal to size, as well as a disk of thin plastic card, and some silver decal, all the same size. I then very carefully removed some of the yellow portion of the decal, leaving some of the vertical black line. and this is result.

35f06e09-6432-4a7d-b1af-1a113a073d45_zps

this small disk then drops straight into the hole drilled previously. Once i have finished with the final clear coat on the model, I will then pop a drop of clear glue into the hole to simulate glass.Notice by removing some of the yellow, I have given it a level below full reading.

null_zpsfaa16e13.jpg