Kinetic Hawk RAAF, FINISHED!!!!!!!!

ericg

• 3 weeks later...

HI Carl, I built the Hornet ages ago and used an Aires cockpit, so there were plenty of spares.

Onto the Progress, I have advanced steadily on this build and have the fuselage closed up and the main wings on. I have started detailing the airframe according to my references to make it as detailed as possible to the RAAF machine.

Here are the huge gaps that are left after gluing the fuselage and wings together.

DSC01223_edited-2_zps0228aab9.jpg

There is a massive trench down the middle of the panel aft of the front wheel bay which will require alot of attention as it isn't supposed to be there.

DSC01222_edited-2_zps58ed67de.jpg

The slightly overdone raised rivet detail seems to be melted down around the panel aft of the airbrake housing, not sure how I will fix that.

DSC01226_edited-2_zpsb9f791c0.jpg

Onto the changes. The rear fuselage has a bump on it which I felt was a little soft, so I made a new `bump' from sprue. There are some glo panel formation lights that reside in this part of the fuselage as well so I fabricated the raised panel from thin tin that they sit on.

Before:

DSC01230_edited-1_zps5e42da80.jpg

After:

DSC01259_edited-1_zpsab24fee5.jpg

The nose of the Hawk also has some raised panels (maybe for the pilots beers?) that I wanted to replicate so I punched some plastic card cirlces and modified the nose to suit.

Before:

DSC01234_edited-3_zpsa7cb5e63.jpg

After:

DSC01262_edited-1_zps73c910aa.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Would have expected a little better fit from Kinetic but without a blink of the eye (I'm sure it took a lot longer then that) the fixes and corrections are done. Nice work on fixing the trouble spots and putting them behind you. :thumbsup:

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Hi Kagemusha, I just noticed! oh well, I figured that the plastic card panels would be easier to work and apply detail to as in this pic. I have also added another round panel to the right hand side of the nose cone:

DSC01284_zps69eae01f.jpg

I have added some of the panels required for the formation lights, these are on the photo etch sheet, but I wanted to do something different. I have also begun deleting some of the panels that weren't showing up in my references inmmediatly below the formation lights and will rescribe the correct ones. I also added the little strip on the lower strakes, as well as hollowed out the small tube that sticks out in front of the strakes.

DSC01287_zps62d82153.jpg

Here are the photo etch vents which actually settle into the plastic quite nicely once the join is coated with mr surfacer and sanded.

DSC01285_zpse62455a2.jpg

One are which I thought needed attention was the leading edge wing root join. Rather than rescride the very soft detail of this panel I thought it would be easier to do something else. As you can see it is very softly detailed and there should be a definate panel over the join.

DSC01275_zpsfa43bbe2.jpg

A template was made from paper, and traced onto thin aluminium

DSC01277_zpscd433334.jpg

I then preshaped the piece and then glued it to the join.

DSC01278_zpsb1778429.jpg

I then burnished the panel with various tools and then sanded it to make it nice and smooth.

DSC01281_zps4680b0a2.jpg

DSC01279_zps30d2ab5e.jpg

both finished they complete that area of the model nicely and will look great once primed.

DSC01290_zpse6e83230.jpg

Guest Peterpools

ERic

Your attention to detail and going the extra mile is amazing. The wing fillet was a perfect touch.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I have finally finished the instrument panels and coamings. I put 143 individual parts into the four major parts of the panel to make what you see here now. As usual I enjoyed this process, tuning many photos of the real thing into hopefully a 3d mini version. Now the hard part will be to paint it.

I went from these:

1ed1dff1-8887-4e5c-93a7-0b43a41d3b79_zps

To these:

DSC01317_edited-1_zps1a3ee6b3.jpg

Close up front panel

DSC01314_edited-1_zpsbee3771c.jpg

Close up rear panel:

DSC01316_edited-1_zps12999670.jpg

It all fits!

DSC01307_edited-1_zpsfdf3da9c.jpg

DSC01306_edited-1_zps747e3415.jpg

Close up of the front coaming