WNW Roland D VIa

mammut08

Beautifully done! Taking the time to do the paint on layers and filters like that adds so much depth to it..very nice effect and very hard to achieve, especially with a solid color. Just love the way the blue came out. Keep up the great work.. can't wait to see how this one turns out!

Cheers,

Jerry

Hey Guys, thank you for the kind works. I think everyone here is doing a fantastic job with this group build. In my case, the WNW kits seem to bring out my best. A quick update and then I am off to work. I have almost completed the lower wing. After decaling, both surfaces were oversprayed with a thinned dust color. I then masked the rib tape and each was oversprayed with dark gray/brown. Finally, I applied a burnt umber filter. Once I add the wing crosses, then its just a few more filters and a wash or two to blend everything together and I will be done with this part of the build. Here are a couple of photos.

IMG_0346_zpsb857a002.jpg

IMG_0345_zpsd94c30ce.jpg

Thanks for looking and everyone keep up the good work.

Dave

Hey Guys, . I think everyone here is doing a fantastic job with this group build.

Dave

I agree Dave, this whole group build is extremely entertaining.

Nice work on the wing. You've created alot of depth with your use of shading. Good job.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for looking. I will try and post an update this weekend. At this point the fuselage is looking very weathered, as are the wings. I am in the assembly phase, and it seems thare are lots of bits and bobs that need painting.

Dave

Hey All,

Time for a few updates. School has been getting in the way a bit. Seems my graduate students all want to defend theses this time of year. Ok, so I have the upper wings painted and weathered - I might have over done it a bit. In this case, I toned down the decals with an overspray of dust - I think I might use an oil filter next time - rib tape masked and then oversprayed with a dark brown mist to give some depth to the wings. Here is a picture of the upper wing:

IMG_1250_zps99de2c75.jpg

And here is one with the radiator in place:

IMG_1275_zpsc2a64390.jpg

I have also done a bit of work on the fuselage - weathered with oils and pastels. I am going for a heavily used look.

IMG_1252_zpsa5982887.jpg

And finally, here is my try at painting up the propeller. I first sprayed it a light brown and then used one of Radu Brinzan (RB Productions) wood grain stencils to impart some texture to the first layer of paint. I then masked the laminations and then over sprayed the prop with a darker brown, followed with a second application of the stencil, this time using a dark red brown tone. Finally, a coat of 50:50 mix of Tamiya clear orange and yellow, decals and a gloss cote of future.

IMG_1269_zps4804fcaf.jpg

That's all for now. Seems I have entered the "odds and ends" stage of the build lots of little things needing different colors of paint.

Dave

Dave, beautiful work on the prop! I'm getting ready to paint mine right now and I hope it comes out half as well. The filtering on the wing lozenge looks outstanding! Keep up the great work.. Can't wait to see the wings on this baby!

Cheers,

Jerry

Hey all,

Thank you for all the positive comments. Kevin, I can tell you that I have far from nailed this one. When I look at some of the other builds here I can only feel humble in my efforts. I can say that finishing the propeller was surprisingly easy. In fact, masking the laminations was easier and looks much better than my attempt at painting it free hand. Sinuhe, feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions about your build.

Dave