WNW Roland D VIa

mammut08

Hey all,

I am in with the Wingnut Wings Roland D VIa. These WNW kits are a joy. No struggles with building, instead its all about finishing.

IMG_4045_zps0fbf60b6.jpg

I think I am going to paint it up as Emil Kock's Jasta 32b aircraft. The well defined planks will make masking the stripes oh so much easier.

IMG_4050_zps19844d8a.jpg

Ok, so I a starting with painting the interior wooden surfaces. Here are the paints I am using to create a natural wood finish.

IMG_4052_zps70405c14.jpg

Step 1. I sprayed a 10:8:3 mix of Vallejo white:light brown:yellow as a base coat. Individual planks were then oversprayed with lighter or darker mixes of the base coat and then a thin mottleing of Tamiya redbrown was oversprayed to add just a little more tonal variation to the finish. It looks messy now, but it will all come together nicely.

IMG_4074_zps4e2d6783.jpg

Step 2. I dabbed on small dots of burnt umber oil paint. Then, with a moistened brush I dragged these lengthwise down the interior of the cockpit. I repeated the process until most of the paint was removed and I was left with a subtle woodgrain effect.

IMG_4079_zps1f6ff30e.jpg

IMG_4087_zpsd8812820.jpg

Step 3. After waiting about 24 hours for the oils to dry, I applied a burnt umber wash to add some depth to the interior detail.

IMG_4091_zps1096d803.jpg

Step 4. Finally, the cockpit interior was oversprayed with a 50/50 mix of Taniya clear orange and clear yellow. This layer brings all the previous ones together nicely and results in a nice varnished wood effect.

IMG_4104_zpsf8046a9f.jpg

And here is the cockpit interior with framing laid in place.

IMG_4105_zps67967400.jpg

That's what I got today. I will try and do something about the photos. I think I need better light so I can get a deeper depth of focus.

Dave

Really nice wood grain effect there Dave! Ill have to try overs-praying with clear orange and yellow like that..........looks really nice.......

Ever try adding Japan Drier to thin your oils with? Takes the oil drying time down to just a few hrs.

:popcorn:

Hey All,

First, Brian, thanks for the head's up on Japan Dryer, I will give it a try. Ok, so a few updates on the Roland. I have been making my way through the interior. I painted the engine compartment using a similar series of steps to those used to finish the cockpit.

IMG_0144_zpsf22afd8a.jpg

The next three photos show the mostly completed cockpit. I used EZ Line for rudder cables and brass wire for the control rod on the left side of the cockpit. Otherwise all else is OOB. I still neet to add the switches to the instrument dials and I have some touching up to do with the ammo shutes.

IMG_0224_zps7663dca6.jpg

]IMG_0211_zps14fc24f8.jpg

IMG_0236_zpsabc179ed.jpg

Next up, building and painting the engine.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Edited by mammut08

Wonderful start Dave! I really like the wood grain painting effect, something I have yet to try myself but will have to learn when I get to the propellor on my DVII. This group build should result in a spectacular looking flying circus.

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf, Dr. Dave and SinuheH, thank you for the comments, I am glad to participate - this is my first group build. I see lots of great aircraft here and I am finding Great War aviation fascinating.

Ok, so a little update. I have spent the week buiding/painting the engine. Since the Roland has a high cowel that obscures most of the powerplant, I have not invested in any fancy superdetailing. I will save the Taurus upgrades for my Alby kits. The engine was painted with Vallejo paints and washed with oils. Here are a few pics:

IMG_0280_zpsfb17fa8a.jpg

IMG_0283_zpsadb334c9.jpg

IMG_0285_zps5320f896.jpg

.... and a couple with the engine installed in the interior framing:

IMG_0286_zps94e78ff4.jpg

IMG_0289_zps0872482f.jpg

Thats all for today. I now have the fuselage closed and primed. Next up, stripes!

Everyone keep up the good work.

Dave

Its update time!

Ok, after a humbling masking incident, I have decided to go with a simpler paint scheme than the horizontal stripes.

IMG_0336_zps33d9c3bb.jpg

Mine will be in overall medium blue - I see no evidence for lighter undersurfaces in the referece picture provided by WNW. A word of warning to those with this kit in the que. The engine cowling provies a less than perfect fit between the various pieces. You will either want to leave the side pieces off or be prepared to do some work sanding, filing and bending a bit to get a reasonable fit.

To start, I sprayed the fuselage with a medium blue mixed from several blue shades of Vallejo Air paint. Exterior fittings where shaded with a darker blue overspray.

IMG_0308_zps1f60a92a.jpg

IMG_0313_zps162fb4a8.jpg

I also masked-up some tailplane framing and oversprayed this with the darker shade as well. The end effect gives depth to an otherwise flat surface.

IMG_0311_zpsc03f8bcf.jpg

I next picked out the exterior fittings with a couple lighter shades of blue. Here again, I am attempting to give the fuselage as much depth as possible.

IMG_0320_zpsb897242f.jpg

The fuselage was then given a filter of burnt umber oil paint and the exterior fittings given a thicker wash of the same color.

IMG_0322_zpsc99a3021.jpg

IMG_0327_zps6dce2a81.jpg

IMG_0328_zps3a8147e8.jpg

The next step will focus on decaling the wings. I have started by painting the upper and lower surface intermediate blue and pink. These colors are close matches to shades found in the lozenge camo and should help to hide any decaling errors.

IMG_0293_zpsa74ab2f3.jpg

Thats all for now. Thank you for looking.

Dave