Wolf Buddee

Another Fokker Finished!

I used that method about a zillion times (seemed like it,anyway) on my FE.2b build. Worked well sometimes, and others the CA made the end of the EZ Line curl....

I think, for me, EZ Line is very good for some applications, but overall I am returning to mono and "turnbuckles". Maybe someday I will get proficient at rigging. That is a good reason to build even more models!

I used the flat British Prym rigging for my DH-2 in combination with EZ Line for the control lines. Ive tried my hand at mono myself..............im just WAY too ham-fisted to ever use it with success. I just kept putting my filangies through the mono, breaking it most every time. For all its faults EZ Line and Prym seem the easiest thing for clumbsy guys like myself.

I probably would have thrown the DH-2 in the trash had I tried to use mono. :(

Playin' vis za machin gunz! I could also call it an exercise in photo-etch Origami. The fuselage, lower wings, landing gear and tail feathers are all done now. I still have to finish applying all the decals to the upper wings and ailerons but I thought I might as well get the Spandau machine guns done and mounted. I had both the very detailed Aber set for the guns as well as Master's offerings and I decided to use the more simple Master set for this build. I just didn't feel like folding and gluing at least a dozen or more pieces for each gun when I could simply glue one kit piece and 6 Master brass pieces to complete a Spandau assembly. I had one gun done (the one you see here) when I started to remove the kit charging/cocking handle assembly from the WnW sprue. I saw it drop and it should have landed in my apron but it apparently had other ideas and it was gone. At least 20 minutes of gutter crawlin' turned up nothin' and I had no choice but to break open the Aber set and start over if I wanted two complete guns. I cut off the kit piece and the fun began. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but these pieces are tiny. I left 1/48 scale because 1/32nd was easier to see.................ya right! :blink: I used 2 part 5 minute epoxy to glue everything together which worked really well and gave me lots of time to make adustments for fit and position. Now all I have to do is finish the 2nd gun, primer, and paint them both and glue 'em in to place. What could possibly go wrong?.......... :whistle:

Fokker-48_zpse463188c.jpg

Fokker-49_zps852f3a10.jpg

Fokker-50_zps99e3543f.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Wolf, that looks absolutely fantastic! Your work has that indefinable 'X-factor' that really makes it stand out. It's not crazy scratch-building or eye-catching weathering, just precision, skill and craftsmanship taken to the ultimate level. Brilliant!

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Wolf

Gorgeous work on the Spandaus ... just spectacular and to think you though things would go smooth as silk - no as long as the Carpet Monster is alive and well.

The images of the Fokker in all her glory: one amazing flying machine. Stellar work Buddy, just stellar!

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

Wolf..just realized that you're building an Albatros manufactured Fokker D VII,and I'm building an Albatros that has just turned into a real Fokker .

Shattering lozenge decals are a lot of fun. Your build is looking "Top Shelf" my man. :thumbsup: :popcorn:

"I saw it drop and it should have landed in my apron but it apparently had other ideas and it was gone."

I'm really glad to hear you say that Wolf. It's proof that one can be a brain surgeon

and a clutz at the same time :P

Your effort/frustration is paying off nicely tho I must say.

Wolf, that looks absolutely fantastic! Your work has that indefinable 'X-factor' that really makes it stand out. It's not crazy scratch-building or eye-catching weathering, just precision, skill and craftsmanship taken to the ultimate level. Brilliant!

Kev

Thanks Kevin, kind words indeed. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how much I'm going to weather this one. From the photos in the instruction booklet the aircraft was kept relatively clean. Somewhat less so once it was in French hands after the Armistace.

Cheers,

Wolf

Good night, Wolf! That is just too spectacular. Love everything you've done.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank-you Mark! I have to admit I was thinkin' the same thing when I was going through you Mustang thread yesterday. Hopefully you'll revive this build soon. Finish off yellow 14 first though......

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf

Gorgeous work on the Spandaus ... just spectacular and to think you though things would go smooth as silk - no as long as the Carpet Monster is alive and well.

The images of the Fokker in all her glory: one amazing flying machine. Stellar work Buddy, just stellar!

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter. The most frustrating part is that I don't have a carpet monster, it's a concrete floor! Didn't make any difference though, the part is gone. At least until I drop another part on my next build and there it'll be.................

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf..just realized that you're building an Albatros manufactured Fokker D VII,and I'm building an Albatros that has just turned into a real Fokker .

Shattering lozenge decals are a lot of fun. Your build is looking "Top Shelf" my man. :thumbsup: :popcorn:

Thanks Bill! The lozenge decals, WnW decals? They're enough work all on their own but shattering? That ain't no fun at all!

Cheers,

Wolf

Jeez that really is nice, very nice.

Kagemusha, thank-you for your kind words!

Cheers,

Wolf

oh man... pure magic. I would have never thought of adding the return spring on those Spandau's...

Thanks Jeroen. Yes, that return spring...........winding the copper wire for the spring was easy enough. Bending the wire at the end of the spring without deforming the last coil at the end of the spring was the real challenge.

Cheers,

Wolf

"I saw it drop and it should have landed in my apron but it apparently had other ideas and it was gone."

I'm really glad to hear you say that Wolf. It's proof that one can be a brain surgeon

and a clutz at the same time :P

Your effort/frustration is paying off nicely tho I must say.

Ok, that really made me laugh! Thanks for that Mike! Believe me I'm way more clutz than anything else, LOL!

Cheers,

Wolf

Looking great Wolf

Thanks Ron. She's comin' along slowly but surely eh?

Cheers,

Wolf