Another Fokker Finished!

Wolf Buddee

Simply outstanding work Wolf!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, I'm really liking you 262 as well!

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf

Appreciate the info, as I never knew you used Tamiya lacquers, as I've only used their acrylics and it's become my standard paint these days.

Thanks Peter, I seem to get along quite well with Tamiya lacquers. I get the spray cans and decant the paint in to 35mm film canisters. I let the paint de-gas first, then add a little lacquer thinner and spray out of the ol' airbrush. De-gassing is greatly sped up by holding the film canister with paint in a small container of fairly warm water. The warmed paint actually sprays nicer too.

Cheers,

Wolf

Looks great!

Thanks Ron' she's gettin' there!

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Wolf,

In one of your early posts you mention using "detailer liquid"s, can you be more specific? I have been trying to attain the look you achieved with your cockpit, yet I cannot find a fully satisfying wash liquid to make it happen.

Dave

Hi Dave, the washes I use are made by a company called "The Detailer" and the washes come in a multitude of colours. They thin with water and clean up with water as well. My favourite concoction is a 50/50 mix of black and brown, a little dish washing soap added, and thinned with distilled water. I apply the well thinned wash with a fine paint brush and once dry I remove any excess wash with another fine brush and water. Really works well for me.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

ChuchT, are you talking about using Tamiya's reg. paints with lacquer thinner ? I've used Tamiya's lacquer thinner only (no common brands) and it does work great, and leaves a very hard finish. Do you use other brands of lacquer thinner?

Will

Yes I am.

I have used both gunze mr leveling thinner and gianotes thinner with regular Tamiya paint and achieved great results. It gives a super smooth surface that adheres well and drys hard.

Good stuff!

• 3 weeks later...

Soon Ron, very soon. I haven't stopped working on the kit but I've had a bear of a time with some of the paint work and I've had to deconstruct and then reconstruct some of the engine details. If I hadn't been at the bench so late last night I might have gotten some pics posted but that'll happed tonight.

Cheers,

Wolf

I managed to get enough done to warrant a few more pics of the progress I've made on my DVII. I thought this part of the build would go fairly quick but I managed to have all kinds of fun with the paint work. The Humbrol enamels didn't quite like being over-coated with Tamiya's semi-gloss lacquer spray. I wound up with a really rough finish which required multiple rubbing down sessions with Mirco-Mesh polishing cloths. The light over spray on the fuselage balken kreuz really reacted badly to the Tamiya lacquer so more sessions of smoothing out the finish was needed with multiple light coats of semi-gloss clear coats to blend everything in. I mostly use MM enamels and over-coats of Tamiya lacquer clears without any problems but it was a different story altogether with the Humbrol colours. The port side upper engine cover on my kit was warped and required lots of clamping to fit properly. The other engine covers fit like a glove and the large side engine covers are only drop fitted in place at this time. I'm still trying to decide whether I'm going to leave them off to show all the beautiful engine detail. When I went to dry fit the flash guards over the rocker box assemblies I discovered that the holes in the PE portion of the flash guards were spaced slightly narrower than the fastener details on the Taurus models rocker boxes. That required removing all the appropriate fasteners on the rocker boxes and then re-gluing them back in place once the flash guard assembly had been attached with 5 minute epoxy. Currently the tail plane and rudder assembly are just sitting in place as I still have to run the control cables from within the fuselage to the control horns. I think I'm going to try the GasPatch models 1/48 scale turnbuckles for the tensioners where the control cables attach to the control horns. Obviously there's still lots do do but I'm gettin' there.

As always comments and critique welcome

Cheers,

Wolf

Fokker-39_zpscf7b5bb9.jpg

Fokker-40_zpse9856378.jpg

Fokker-41_zps3064a388.jpg

Fokker-42_zpsdc8699ee.jpg

Fokker-43_zps465afdc0.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Crikey! :blink:

That is one of the most realistic looking exhausts I think I have ever seen Wolf. :bow:

Everything that I can see about this build smacks of quality. The fit of all parts looks to be square and true, the paintwork, smooth, crisp and flawless. Unless there are glaring errors hidden on the underside that you're not showing us, I can't find a single element that I'm not blown away by!

Stellar work dude! :punk: