Another Fokker Finished!

Wolf Buddee

Wolf, the greatness just goes on and on.

If I could point out one thing that is not directly related to your skill. That dragon decal looks superb,what is the general decal quality like?

And, I know, you put the decal on the kit. Great skill, man! When I try it, there will be more wrinkles :)

Cheers

Don

Gentlemen, thanks for all the kind responses to my last post. I've been working on getting all the decal work done on the top wing and tonight managed to get most of it done. A gloss clear coat will be sprayed and the the MicroSculpt fabric effect decals will be applied. Once those are dry a semi-gloss clear coat will finish it all off. Hopefully I'll have some pics soon.

Cheers,

Wolf

Very, very, very nice!

So if I understand it right that MicroSculpt fabric effect are decals to be put onto the Lozenge decals?

Regards

- dutik

Thanks dutik, yes the MicroSculpt fabric effect decals are laid on top of the lozenge decal. Twice the work but I really like the effect.

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf, the greatness just goes on and on.If I could point out one thing that is not directly related to your skill. That dragon decal looks superb,what is the general decal quality like?And, I know, you put the decal on the kit. Great skill, man! When I try it, there will be more wrinkles :)CheersDon

Thanks Don. The decal quality is brilliant. As good as any aftermarket decal sheet you can get. The dragon decal is amazing in detail and went on without any problems. I'm finding the need for a decal solvent such as MicroSol to be minimal. Heat from a hair blow dryer helps quite a bit too.

Cheers,

Wolf

• 3 weeks later...

Twirly bit done! This is one of the last things I needed to finish before I could call the build done and the one thing I was looking forward to the least. I just couldn't wrap my head around how I was going mask off the laminations, how many laminations I would mask, and how the laminations would look front to back. I managed to figure out how to mask the front (which was very time consuming) but by the time I got to the back, the back laminations just didn't look right. After studying a whole bunch of pics on the web I finally came up with the pattern you see in the pics. One thing I did to ease painting was to remove the front hub detail. I first took an impression with two part dental material and used that to cast a new hub in resin. Before removing the front hub from the prop I used the the hub as a guide to scribe a circle in to the prop face. This line would allow me to align the resin prop hub in exactly the right location after painting. You can see the scribed circle in the first photo. The prop was painted with MM wood and the laminations were painted with Tamiya Linoleum Brown. In retrospect I should probably have gone with a slightly lighter colour for the laminations. What do y'all think? After the painting was done I applied wood grain decal which essentially is just the grain on a slightly orange clear film. That was fun too......... :whistle: Finally the prop manufacturer's logos were added and the whole works sealed in with Tamiya's semi-gloss clear lacquer. Hopefully enough bench time tomorrow will allow me to finish the beast off altogether and I can call 'er done.

Cheers,

Wolf

Fokker-61_zps12c5f88d.jpg

Fokker-60_zps71221897.jpg

Fokker-59_zps16cba9cf.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee