Another Fokker Finished!

Wolf Buddee

Yup....Doesn't get much better than this,perfect paint and details as per usual Wolf.wonderful to see it take shape.

One question,what is the material being used for rigging?, iffin one may ask.

Thanks Bill, very kind words. Hopefully you'll get a chance to see it this fall and then you'll be able to see all the imperfections. The rigging material for the aileron controls is an elastic thread that I bought years ago from AeroClub. It has it's applications but I'm not sure I'm too happy about having used it here. It's tricky trying to get it pushed in to a small hole and then apply ca. It handles much like a wet noodle. I'll probably cut it off and use monofilament line instead. Once glued the monofilament line can be nicely tensioned with careful application of a little heat. I'll do the same for the landing gear assembly. The rest of the rigging material is EZ Line.

Cheers,

Wolf

:wow: :bow: :bow:

:wub: :wub:

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL....

what more is there to say..... :wow:

Thank-you MARU5137, always a pleasure hearing fro you!

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf

Totally blown away. Just gorgeous work. What a treat to see

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

As always, thank-you Peter! I noticed that you don't have either your Albatros or your Fokker DVII listed as being "on the bench"? What's happening with those?

Cheers,

Wolf

Very Sharp! Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Dave

Thanks Dave, slowly but surely she's gettin' there eh?

Cheers,

Wolf

Wow, very well done

Much appreciated Ron! Quite literally I couldn't have gotten this far without your help. As you know, still lots to do........................ :frantic:

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks for your comment on the aileron rigging line. I've been pondering which to use on my D.VII - EZ Line or mono. I also think EZ line, and similar products, perform like a wet noodle, and mine sometimes picks up a static charge and flees my tweezer points. It's like chasing a compass needle around...

Thanks for your comment on the aileron rigging line. I've been pondering which to use on my D.VII - EZ Line or mono. I also think EZ line, and similar products, perform like a wet noodle, and mine sometimes picks up a static charge and flees my tweezer points. It's like chasing a compass needle around...

The way around that is to have a little bit/pool of thin CA ready and dip the tip of the EZ Line in it before threading. The flat Prym rigging for the Brit airframes really doesnt need it.

I used that method about a zillion times (seemed like it,anyway) on my FE.2b build. Worked well sometimes, and others the CA made the end of the EZ Line curl....

I think, for me, EZ Line is very good for some applications, but overall I am returning to mono and "turnbuckles". Maybe someday I will get proficient at rigging. That is a good reason to build even more models!

I used the flat British Prym rigging for my DH-2 in combination with EZ Line for the control lines. Ive tried my hand at mono myself..............im just WAY too ham-fisted to ever use it with success. I just kept putting my filangies through the mono, breaking it most every time. For all its faults EZ Line and Prym seem the easiest thing for clumbsy guys like myself.

I probably would have thrown the DH-2 in the trash had I tried to use mono. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Playin' vis za machin gunz! I could also call it an exercise in photo-etch Origami. The fuselage, lower wings, landing gear and tail feathers are all done now. I still have to finish applying all the decals to the upper wings and ailerons but I thought I might as well get the Spandau machine guns done and mounted. I had both the very detailed Aber set for the guns as well as Master's offerings and I decided to use the more simple Master set for this build. I just didn't feel like folding and gluing at least a dozen or more pieces for each gun when I could simply glue one kit piece and 6 Master brass pieces to complete a Spandau assembly. I had one gun done (the one you see here) when I started to remove the kit charging/cocking handle assembly from the WnW sprue. I saw it drop and it should have landed in my apron but it apparently had other ideas and it was gone. At least 20 minutes of gutter crawlin' turned up nothin' and I had no choice but to break open the Aber set and start over if I wanted two complete guns. I cut off the kit piece and the fun began. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but these pieces are tiny. I left 1/48 scale because 1/32nd was easier to see.................ya right! :blink: I used 2 part 5 minute epoxy to glue everything together which worked really well and gave me lots of time to make adustments for fit and position. Now all I have to do is finish the 2nd gun, primer, and paint them both and glue 'em in to place. What could possibly go wrong?.......... :whistle:

Fokker-48_zpse463188c.jpg

Fokker-49_zps852f3a10.jpg

Fokker-50_zps99e3543f.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Wolf, that looks absolutely fantastic! Your work has that indefinable 'X-factor' that really makes it stand out. It's not crazy scratch-building or eye-catching weathering, just precision, skill and craftsmanship taken to the ultimate level. Brilliant!

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Wolf

Gorgeous work on the Spandaus ... just spectacular and to think you though things would go smooth as silk - no as long as the Carpet Monster is alive and well.

The images of the Fokker in all her glory: one amazing flying machine. Stellar work Buddy, just stellar!

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

Wolf..just realized that you're building an Albatros manufactured Fokker D VII,and I'm building an Albatros that has just turned into a real Fokker .

Shattering lozenge decals are a lot of fun. Your build is looking "Top Shelf" my man. :thumbsup: :popcorn: