Another Fokker Finished!

Wolf Buddee

Just a couple of pics to show some things I've noticed on the cylinder heads. After assembling the cylinder head halves I found that there was a lot of excess material between the cylinders that needed to be carefully cleaned out. I used a #11 blade to do that and then ran a thin strip of sand paper around the cylinders to tidy it all up. The cylinders have two coolant passages, one on top and the other on the bottom right side. The bottom coolant passage is not moulded round as it should be but it's not a really big deal. The top coolant passage is round but the clamps that secured the pipe sections together are only moulded on one side. I'm going to remove the moulded ones and make new clamps that go all the way around. On the bottom passage I'll just add partial clamps. They won't be seen later anyways but you know..........AMS, LOL! The accompanying pics should clarify my text.

Cheers,

Wolf

Fokker-20_zpsaf4b0831.jpg

Fokker-21_zpsc769f1a1.jpg

The clamps are on! I cut the clamp material from a very thin piece of sheet styrene using a fresh #11 blade and a steel ruler for a straight edge. The fasteners were cut from hexagonal rod using a small cutting jig so they were all exactly the same length. I used a single edge razor blade to make the cuts. That's a trick I learned from Mark (dodgem37) here on LSP. Thanks Mark, even this old dog can learn new tricks, LOL. :whistle:

Now it's off to the paint shop to spray the upper cylinders gloss black. Using gloss black will eliminate the need to gloss coat later for the application of the decals. It should also provide a slightly different tonal quality, even when the flat coat is applied, in comparison to the black I'll use to paint the lower portions of the cylinders which are moulded to the crankcase assembly. Colour photos should be next...............

Cheers,

Wolf

Fokker-22_zps055063e0.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Hi Wolf,

Looking very nice, Great Ideas For attaching the Taurus parts. I like the clamps you made ,I noticed they were missing after I had My engine already painted so that`s a detail I didn't add. .The more FokkerDVII`s built here and all the details everyone does the better they get ! Keep posting your Ideas ,I`ll be watching .

Willi

Hi Wolf,

Looking very nice, Great Ideas For attaching the Taurus parts. I like the clamps you made ,I noticed they were missing after I had My engine already painted so that`s a detail I didn't add. .The more FokkerDVII`s built here and all the details everyone does the better they get ! Keep posting your Ideas ,I`ll be watching .

Willi

Thanks Willi, I've been watching your progress as well and you're going to have a very striking looking DVII when you're done. I love the the extra details you added to your build of the Mercedes engine and luckily most of it will be visible so it was really worth the extra work. I've been following your lead Sir!

Cheers,

Wolf

Those clamps make the lower coolant pipe look in-the-round. Good show, Wolf.

5X you say?

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark, a little extra work but I think it'll look good when painted up. The 5X, I'm assuming you mean the magnification on my lamp? Believe me, I need every bit of it!

Cheers,

Wolf

Hey Wolfe, any chance of getting a close up pic of your clamps with the Hex fastner?

Looks great!

Maybe Chuck. The upper cylinder assembly is in the paint shop right now and with everything painted gloss black there's not much to see. I'll shoot more pics when it's all finished.

Cheers,

Wolf

I like it! The engine detail is looking awesome Wolf! Even with the Taurus Model stuff that I'm adding, I don't think my engine will come anywhere close to yours. I really like the detail.

Matt :party0023:

I wouldn't be so sure of that Matt. We're both working with the same stuff so I can't imagine they're going to look much different. Have fun painting all those minuscule fasteners on top of the rocker box assembly or on the rocker arms. Sheeesh those things are small.

Cheers,

Wolf