Foiled HKM B-25J Strafer - 345th BG Air Apaches - Lady LiL

Out2gtcha

Still a crap load of dirty sticky MS glue residue and finger prints to clean up…..

I also have a TON of little boo-boos to fix, panels lines to fix, and especially, rivet lines still to replace. (the thick foil has hidden some of the replacement rivet lines, and they will have to be added back) -

DSC01435.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

I also managed to knock out and finish up all the wing panels too:

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01439.jpg

DSC01442.jpg

DSC01445.jpg

DSC01448.jpg

I'm off to beddy by for some much anticipated rest.

More this week guys as its now on to cleanup, then touchup then it might be time for some paint soon. :D

Cheers,

Edited by Out2gtcha

By all means Ken, go for it!!!

Thanks Brian. Here is the link to the resurrected wing tip foiling post from a while back. http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=30062 Maybe this will help answer some questions. I am also re-doing a post I made on compound curves on an F-104 that I had Kev remove due to a conflict I had at the time. That will be later this week probably.....

OMG it looks like it's made from individual aluminum panels (I suppose in reality it IS). Looks fantastic Brian, now I'm SERIOUSLY considering foiling my Tamiya P-51D instead of painting it. Only thing that I am not sure of exactly is graining the foil, or adding different patinas to it. I know you mentioned it here somewhere, will have to look through the thread again to find it.

Brilliant stuff Brian! :bow:

Thanks Brian. Here is the link to the resurrected wing tip foiling post from a while back. http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=30062 Maybe this will help answer some questions. I am also re-doing a post I made on compound curves on an F-104 that I had Kev remove due to a conflict I had at the time. That will be later this week probably.....

Thanks for that Ken, Im sure all including myself can benefit from a refresher over any of your articles. :D

BRILLIANT !! One beautiful bird..............Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv!

Looking good.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Well, that certainly blows my build out of the water. The foiling looks excellent, the B-25 looks really pretty in metal like that.

Keep up the great work Brian

Matt :party0023:

Thanks Matt, but i definitely wouldn't go that far. Your 25 looks really well done, and again its down to each to their own style and how they feel comfy completing things.

The kind words are appreciated though. :D

OMG it looks like it's made from individual aluminum panels (I suppose in reality it IS). Looks fantastic Brian, now I'm SERIOUSLY considering foiling my Tamiya P-51D instead of painting it. Only thing that I am not sure of exactly is graining the foil, or adding different patinas to it. I know you mentioned it here somewhere, will have to look through the thread again to find it.

Brilliant stuff Brian! :bow:

Thanks Frank! Yes, there a multitude of things you can use to grain the foil, both prior and post application. You can use 600 and up sandpaper that will garner a used and quite "rubbed or polished down" look.

You can use from XX to XXXX steel wool and that gives a very cool buffed type aluminum look.

I used Crest "Pro Health" toothpaste that is exceptionally grainy, and produces a duller and much more worn gray/titanium colored patina.

Simply brilliant Brian :thumbsup:

Just remind me, when you grain the foil, you say you use toothpaste, but what do you use to apply it?

Cheers

Derek

Thanks Derek, nice of you to say.

In combination with a few drops of water for the panel your working on, i used the best tool I have in my arsenal...............

Index_finger.JPG

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again all for the very kind and positive responses. I am letting things cure a bit with the foil, and I expect to get moving on masking the nose paint up very soon................then its on to final assembly of the wings and fuse, then the detail stuff will be added like upper turret, wing fences, antenna ect, ect.

Thanks and cheers,

Holy crap! The area immediately behind where the twin 50 cal. MGs protrude for the tail gunner must have been interesting to foil given all the compound curves. I can't visualize how you did that without wrinkling the foil. Unbelievable!

Cheers,

Wolf

Brian

Simply speechless! Gorgeous work, Buddy, just gorgeous.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks bud! Still lookin for more Jug updates.................*AHEM* (lol)

Holy crap! The area immediately behind where the twin 50 cal. MGs protrude for the tail gunner must have been interesting to foil given all the compound curves. I can't visualize how you did that without wrinkling the foil. Unbelievable!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks for the kind words Wolf. Very carefully......... Actually, there is a panel line (hard to see in some pics) that separates the port and starboard side panels from a bottom panel on that surrounding area for the tail gunners section. In this case, I just dint grain the foil ahead of time, since with these kind of odd compound curve areas, I let the curve itself dictate how the foil flows, then grain it afterwards following the lay of the panel. If that makes sense.

I definitely still need to go over some of the panels that remain a bit too shiny for the look im after...............which is pretty much what the main upper wing panels look like - a dull titanium/gray look.

Im having second thoughts on shooting a flat coat over the foil even if the 1:1 birds NMF is DEAD flat, I love the gray oxidized look that the toothpaste gives the foil, and may just apply that to any shiny panels instead of flat coating the whole thing.

If I do that I will make up some simple masks for the stars and bars decals since Im planning on using the ones from the Lady LiL Zotz set instead of paint masks.

You make all this seems too easy.....i wish... :whistle:

sharp results my friend....fantastic one

shep

Thanks Shep, very nice of you to say.

Its been a HUGE trial this.................its just a LOT of bird to foil...........and I mean A LOT. Foiling 1/2 of the Mitchel's wing, is about equivalent to foiling the entire wing of my last foiling project P-40. BUT the main brunt of all the foiling is complete now, so its just down to touch-ups, then its on to paint and weathering. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More progress...............

I have let the final foiled panels set up for a few days, and have now commenced paint! Yay!

Eli's/Zotz Lady LiL set comes with gold paint masks included to paint the yellow on the 345th BG falcons head, as well as the OD anti-glare panel.

This is always a stressful time, as I have never used any of Zotz paint masks, and did not know how "sticky" the stick would be on their paint mask material. (The mask material I am used to using over foil - normally Ad Astra - witch uses a very friendly and workable mask material, especially for foil)

So, in this case, when I removed the gold paint masks from their backing, I found the stickiness was quite a bit more substantial than other previous material Id used. This might have caused an issue if used right off the backing over foil, since all foil is, is effectively tape, with adhesive on the back. Basically what you are doing effectively is putting "tape over tape" when applying paint mask material over foil. The adhesion of the underlying layer of "tape" (the foil) is only as good, and only remains bonded to the model as long as the adhesion of the upper layer of "tape" (the paint mask) is less than the layer below it.

So when I removed the mask material, I (as odd as it sounds) cleaned the inside of my forearm (free of hair) with 90% alcohol, and stuck the paint mask on my arm briefly to take some of the tack down. Surprisingly this worked quite effectively, and reduced the stickiness of the mask to the point where it would not endanger pulling up any foil. Sounds weird – worked awesome.

I just used some plastic low tack Pactra masking tape & some liquid mask to mask up the rest of the anti-glare and side panels.

I shot this paint directly over the grained and thoroughly cleaned foil, with no primers clear metal or otherwise. I have had great luck with enamels directly over properly grained foil, so this is what I did.

On to business then –

In the paint booth getting the yellow on –

DSC01452.jpg

DSC01453.jpg

After getting the fuse out of the paint booth for the yellow, I quickly (and luckily) used some delicate masking (so as not to touch the fresh yellow paint) to protect/shield the previous yellow layer, and spray the OD anti-glare panel, which utilized part of the Zotz paint mask.

I was happy, and pleasantly surprised to find that very little of the foil was disturbed by the paint masks and tape, when all the masking was removed.

There was also not a lick of chipping on the paint either, which I was very happy about. The masks were very nice, but VERY hard to apply straight as I had to utilize several reference points on the nose to get them aligned.

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. The paint demarks are just a tad rough but the yellow/NMF demark will be covered with a black stripe decal, and the OD/NMF is slightly less than perfect but is acceptable for such a weather-beaten plane –

DSC01456.jpg

DSC01455.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01458.jpg

The OD looks odd with the cutouts that the Zotz paint masks make, but as you can see, the upper part of the 345th falcon head decals conform to the paint mask outlines nicely, and I hope they go on as well as it looks like they are going to -

DSC01460.jpg

I'm going to let the paint over foil harden off for a few days, and then I will start applying the nose decals in the specified order including the Vargus “Lady” herself.

Stay tuned!

Thanks for dropping in on me and cheers,

Thanks Geoff!

I think Im going to head down today and see if I can touch things up a bit on some of the paint demarks then start experimenting with some decal application.

Cheers for now guys,

Guest Peterpools

Brian

WOW! Spectacular work on the masking and paintwork. Nothing like watching a pro at work!

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

BTW, Still making slow but steady progress on the Jug