Foiled HKM B-25J Strafer - 345th BG Air Apaches - Lady LiL

Out2gtcha

Thanks John. :) I have thought about that as something different to do. :D

Not sure how well my little camera takes video, but it does take HD video, and I do have little tripod, so stay tuned..............

It just might happen!

Brian,

I wrestled with the paint-over-foil issue for a long time as well. Then I found that Tamiya makes a Metal/plastic primer that virtually eliminates the problem. And, it is clear. I have used it on P-51 anti-glare panels with no graining and the adhesion is really good. It is simply called "Metal Primer".

Ken

Edited by foiler

Brian,

I wrestled with the paint-over-foil issue for a long time as well. Then I found that Tamiya makes a Metal/plastic primer that virtually eliminates the problem. And, it is clear. I have used it on P-51 anti-glare panels with no graining and the adhesion is really good. It is simply called "Metal Primer".

Ken

Gunze makes a similar product called, oddly enough, Mr Metal Primer. I've been using it on the white metal parts of my Speed Spitfire build.

Kev

Brian,

Ken

Cooooool. I really might have to try that. I always seem to grain my foil, and the paint over straight foil seemed to work so well on my P-40 that Im thinking about trying the same procedure.

I think I might have to take a run up to Hobby Town........................... :hmmm:

Thanks for the explanation about it. I'm sure once it's all under the paint, it will look awesome. The rivets should stand out nicely on the surface.

Hope the foiling and paint goes well.

Matt :party0023:

Way to go Brian – :doh: Dam missed the start but nice to catch up with loads of pictures – one day when am feeling really brave I will give this a try!!!!

But mean time keep the lessons coming. Can’t wait to see your movie debut in “How to foil the Brian way” :popcorn:

Happy Days – Taff :D

Thanks guys. :D Cheers!

More progress..............................

Got a large chunk of the empennage foiled. Again these are pretty much virgin foiled panels, and have yet to be touched up, weathered and in some spots, some panels/areas on the top may get some flat to replicate the harsh Philippine climate and baking sun. Some of the shinier ones will get toned down with flat as well. This will also help bring the multi tone finish all together in the end as well -

DSC01412.jpg

DSC01414.jpg

DSC01415.jpg

DSC01411.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

Also completed some other harder, to cover areas like the waist gun surround since they have some compound curve to them as well. All the wrinkles seen are all on the window mask area to be cut out and removed later -

DSC01410.jpg

Also got a jump on finishing the leading edges of the wings, and some of the wing to nacelle transition areas that have compound curves to them (I like to get the hardest parts to foil over 1st) -

DSC01416.jpg

DSC01417.jpg

DSC01418.jpg

Tiz all for tonight ladies..............its off to work for me. :( Boo!

More foiling will take place in the coming days..............stay tuned!

Cheers,

Brian, looks fantastic!

Kev

Double Ditto :punk:

Thanks guys! The foil is still way too shiny in parts atm for all the oxidation on the Lady during her combat stint, so I will either have to re-grain some shiny panels or will have to apply a flat coat after all the weathering and decals have been applied.

I have conquered most of the harder to foil compound curve panels so far, so most of the major panels left to foil should be easier to do than the previous ones I have been working on.

Cheers,