WNW Albatros DV Alfred Lenz

DrDave

I got started on Friday night and tonight is Weds. Just to prove WW1 modelling does not have to be at a glacial pace.

P1010141_zps0e68bdf4.jpg

This will be Alfred Lenz's blue kite with camo wings, using Pheon decals.

I am using some cheats. The build will be OOB pretty much, with turnbuckles and the AM decals.

I wont be wiring the engine or adding details above what is seen with the cowling on. Ditto the cockpit. I am not faffing about with a cushion. I do not see how a man could fit in these seats in a flight suit of sheepskin with a cushion!

I used Tamiya buff with a thin brush of W&N acrylic water cased oil, raw sienna. Over future. It dries within 24h and can be handled once futured. This is how the prop is done. The Spinner covers the centre plate.

P1010135_zps05517d6c.jpg

I might do some control wires in the cockpit.

The wheels and cowling are Alclad Aluminium, future, Gunze RLM02, future, then Tamiya flat blue, then future. This is buffed with a polishing stick to bring out scuffs and highlights.

P1010139_zps1b8fac87.jpg

P1010134_zps8e3b1e6b.jpg

P1010136_zps43f9241e.jpg

P1010133_zps6dc54caf.jpg

The wings are painted Misterkit albatros blue, then future, then greyed and darkened shades are misted in the troughs between tapes. After future again, this is buffed using a very old polishing stick which makes the ribs pop out bright and blue and the troughs darker.

P1010142_zps8bc37f61.jpg

P1010132_zpsf7c12063.jpg

P1010137_zpscef28e56.jpg

The exhaust has had about 3 shades of Alclad pale burnt metal, Iron and Copper.

P1010140_zps100ce10a.jpg

Honestly quite the most cack handed sausage fingered build I have had for a long time! I have messed up a lot in the cockpit. The rudder bar has gone completely and one seatbelt strap is lost. I gave in and closed her up anyway. The engine is better but with the top wing and cowl on little can be seen anyway. It's a good job I get my enjoyment out of the finish and overall effect, which is trompe l'oeil anyway I always end up with 2 builds of the same kit and the second is less rushed and better finished. I will be keeping wnw in business. Anyway it looks fine so long as no one looks inside! The wings are painted with mister kit albatross mauve and pale green. It's a bit pale for my taste but it will get a finish of smoke to darken it.

P1010167_zpsb729db74.jpg

P1010168_zps3fdc3a74.jpg

P1010169_zpscbc0fe5c.jpg

P1010170_zpsd7f64bf9.jpg

P1010171_zpsc93e91e1.jpg

Edited by DrDave

P1010172_zpsc605dd05.jpg

Juicy stash shot!

P1010175_zps6abea5a4.jpg

Tail is on, now covered in Tamiya flat earth and a very rough camouflage coat. I hope this will just show through when I spray the blue. I'll decal a cross on the fuselage.

Wing roots in wood grain.

P1010176_zpscc9ded78.jpg

P1010177_zpsc0b5de49.jpg

By the way, please feel totally free to offer criticism or advice, constructive and/or otherwise.

Guest Peterpools

Dave

Super progress on the Albatros Fit and finish are looking real good. Not sure if it a bit too late but on my Fokker I decided to use the molded Spandaus and used a pin wash in each barrel air vent. Just adds a bit more 'pop' to the MG's.

Of course, you're way ahead of my Albi, still suffering from wing fit problems.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn:

I finished her last night!

I will post some photos this evening.

Quite the trickiest of my wnw builds so far due to my own errors. I should have fitted lower wing turnbuckles before putting the upper wing on as its a tight corner close to the wing root.

I got the wing to fit by fixing the outer struts first and then clicking in the cabane struts, but it wasn't easy. One centre section of a cabane popped doing this.

Taught me a lot this build. I think the gas patch buckles look over scale on a single seater. I might try the 1/48 size instead. Do they fit EZ line?