Fokker D.VII (Alb)

scvrobeson

You're both probably right. I've had some problems with Solvaset being too hot before, but Catograf decals are pretty amazing. They're like the WNW of decal producers.

I've got a ton of progress done today with my day off. I applied the lozenge decals on both the wings and fuselage today, and got it ready for the painting of the blue and the big personal markings. I'm really loving how these decals go on, and how great they look once on. I had a couple of problems with air bubbles, but with Solvaset, they settled down well enough.

Enough of my ramblings, here are the photos, which should illustrate the work better.

FokkerDVIIAlb070_zps59cd9d16.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb071_zps590ef19b.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb076_zps3352456f.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb075_zps19925e22.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb073_zps254c7493.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb072_zps99246786.jpg

Getting these things to settle around the wingtips was quite the challenge, but with a hairdryer, and some Solvaset, it eventually all went down okay.

Also got the lower wing all done as well, that was much easier than the top wing.

FokkerDVIIAlb068_zps90e509ba.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb069_zpsa59510b8.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb061_zps3e88f8c0.jpg

Later on today, I was able to get the fade coat on the fuselage lozenge. The instructions say a very thin coat of Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth, so I made a mix of about 10% paint to 90% thinner. When misted on, it really muted down the colors, and looks pretty good

FokkerDVIIAlb062_zpsf2c689e3.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb066_zpsc8c10e1e.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb063_zps9c74a3ef.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb064_zpsab70ba5d.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb065_zps24f632ad.jpg

Getting it adhere down to the stitching on the bottom was quite a pain, but I got it all down eventually. Now to dry-brush the sticking in order to make it pop out. Should be fun.

I'm going to close this post with a picture though. The instructions say to paint the whole top decking blue, but I'm not sure about that. The pictures that Wingnuts includes in the instructions seem to show that the very top deck is black, not blue. What do you guys think about it? Black or blue?

FokkerDVIIAlb077_zps1f1a37f5.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb078_zps5087822c.jpg

I also got the front panels installed. The pictures do seem to show that it was completely faired in, even though the instructions say that's for a different option. I attached the parts, and laid on a couple of layers of Mr. Surfacer to smooth it out, then sanded it to smooth it out.

FokkerDVIIAlb067_zpse9e9932b.jpg

And a teaser of what's to come in the next couple of days.

FokkerDVIIAlb059_zps4766c250.jpg

Thanks everyone for reading in on this. I know this was a long post, but I hope that you all enjoy it. I'm having a blast with this one, and hopefully I'll be able to get it done soon. I'm really getting farther and farther along, next will be the rest of the decals, and then weathering everything down. Then final assembly!

Hope to be back soon. All comments, critiques, observations, fixes, reviews are welcome. Thanks everyone!

Matt :party0023:

Looks great, Matt! I especially like the way your mist coat toned down the lozenge. Looking forward to seeing what comes next. :tumble:

Thanks for the support dad. I'm glad you like the work. Hopefully your build comes out well too, so we can display them together.

Black sir!

That's what I've been thinking. But trying to decode almost century old film is difficult, especially figuring out where the shadow ends and the actual paint color begins. It's a quandary.

Thank you for stopping in and helping out with my dilemma.

Wow Matt, those lozenge decals laid down beautifully with the rib tapes lining up perfectly with the stitching. If you had trouble with any of them you'd never know by looking at 'em now. I also like the brown glaze effect on the fuselage and I expect that you'll be doing the wings too, no?

As far as trying to interpret the colour of the upper cockpit decking, based on the tonal value of the colours you do know, I would think it was black myself. The upper decking looks to be the same colour as the centre of the fuselage cross. What ever colour you eventually go with, it'll be pretty hard to dispute you choice.

Have you started on the engine yet?

Cheers,

Wolf :popcorn:

I`m not sure black . Most Fokker DVII had the top decking Fokker green . It`s a shade lighter then RLM 82 dark green . That`s my two cents

Id have to agree with that. Ive seen that dark Fokker green applied on the upper forward decking as well as the lower area between the wings even occasionally.

Wow Matt, those lozenge decals laid down beautifully with the rib tapes lining up perfectly with the stitching. If you had trouble with any of them you'd never know by looking at 'em now. I also like the brown glaze effect on the fuselage and I expect that you'll be doing the wings too, no?

As far as trying to interpret the colour of the upper cockpit decking, based on the tonal value of the colours you do know, I would think it was black myself. The upper decking looks to be the same colour as the centre of the fuselage cross. What ever colour you eventually go with, it'll be pretty hard to dispute you choice.

Have you started on the engine yet?

Cheers,

Wolf :popcorn:

Thank you very, very much Wolf. That's a huge compliment coming from such a master builder as yourself. Yes, the wings have been glazed over by now, I just have not had the time to take the pictures and post them up. It was just done with a hyper-thin mix of Tamiya Flat Earth XF-52, like the instructions ask for.

That's what the problem is with the top decking though, is that because the picture is almost 100 years old, there really is no one out there that can give us a definitive answer, and since trying to decode orthrochromatic film is like walking through a mine-field blindfolded, I try and avoid it. But that top decking does look very, very dark; which is what led to think it would be black.

yes, actually, I began work on the engine this evening. Getting the cylinder bank together, and I've started adding the Taurus Model parts. They really are great, but super fiddly. I have no idea how I'm going to be able to remove the rocker arms without destroying everything else in the process. I will try and get some pictures up tomorrow during my break so all can see.

Thank you for stopping in and commenting on my build.

Matt

Amazing work on the lozenge decals. Simply superb !

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn:

Thank you Peter. The lozenge decals were tough to get on, but everything eventually went down okay. I'm just happy to have them done, they are stressful to get on there.

I`m not sure black . Most Fokker DVII had the top decking Fokker green . It`s a shade lighter then RLM 82 dark green . That`s my two cents

Hey there. Thanks for the input. I had actually thought about the Fokker green, but in looking at the photos, and comparing it to the kit option that actually uses a lot of Fokker green, this does still look a too dark for it. It does look closer to the fuselage cross shade than the darkest color of the wing lozenge, which would be about Fokker green. That actually looks closer to the color on the sides, which is blue.

I'm going to keep investigating this problem before I commit to paint. Especially since I have to figure out how to mask off all of the detail that sticks out above the top decking before I can paint anyway.

Thank you very much for stopping in and commenting. I appreciate the help.

Id have to agree with that. Ive seen that dark Fokker green applied on the upper forward decking as well as the lower area between the wings even occasionally.

Hey Brian. It was applied on the lower wing usually on planes from the Fokker factory from what I can figure out, the ones that also had the purple and green camo painted on the engine area. I will look into the Fokker Green, maybe spray some test shots with blue and black, and blue and green, and see which looks like the right amount of contrast based off of the photo. I will be sure to post whatever happens though, so everyone can see it.

Thanks for reading in. I'm enjoying your B-25 log. I'm going to use it for tips when I build my own in the next few months, once the Fokker and Schwalbe are finished.