Fokker D.VII (Alb)

scvrobeson

Matt, Excellent work.... :goodjob:

Thank you very much Maru. I'm glad that you like it. Most of the credit for this build though does need to go to Wingnuts for their amazing kit design. I can only work with the pieces that are given to me, and they gave everything for this kit. Except for some reason a couple of cross-braces in the engine compartment I still need to scratch-build.

Matt :party0023:

Don't forget to tune it,so it sounds right! Incredible.

I will make sure that everything is tuned up right. I actually think that following the Taurus instructions will actually get the timing gear lined up perfectly just like on the real plane. That's just one of those tiny details I think that can really set a build apart from others.

Aces on the prop and Mercedes.

Looking real good

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thank you Peter, as always. I've really enjoyed this build, I'm kind of sad to see it finish up. But I have other models to build, namely a giant box that is staring at me from the corner of the model room.

Thanks for reading in, hope your D.VII can get finished at some point.

This is an outstanding build.congratulations in the outstanding workmanship, the detail and the realism. Simply stunning

Thank you very much Jeremy. There is still a lot of things to get done on it, but it is slowly getting closer to the finish. I'm going to be happy to put this one in the case once it's done, and maybe my Dad's will join it in there.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Lover those Giant boxes! Yup, As the Spit is now in the painting stages, the Fokker is getting ready to be finished.

:rolleyes:

Matt

Lover those Giant boxes! Yup, As the Spit is now in the painting stages, the Fokker is getting ready to be finished.

:rolleyes:

Thanks Peter! The giant box build will be balanced out with some smaller builds just for the sake of my sanity. But it will be started soon.

That's great the the Spitfire and Fokker are working well for you. I am interested to see how both of those go along.

Well, let's call this the penultimate post. Everything is as of now assembled and rigged, and it's just down to getting some mud on the wheels, and the final satin coat on it. Since these planes came from the factory very glossy, they didn't get to a dead flat state. They would always have some kind of gloss to them.

Getting the engine in caused a couple of headaches, but I found that by taking off the front mounting pins on the engine bearers, all of the assemblies would fit together perfectly. Even with all of my added wiring, it all went together fine.

Here are the photos, there will be some captions to explain things as we go.

FokkerDVIIAlb141_zps7375b34a.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb142_zpsd4eed2ea.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb143_zpsf97c26b6.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb144_zps8f8f546c.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb145_zps706f65aa.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb146_zpsc2de0ac2.jpg

Various views of the engine assembly, and other stuff around the front. I even got the little copper pipes in for the pump on the front. Those were hard to wrestle into place, but they look good when they're on there.

FokkerDVIIAlb147_zpsf8733300.jpg

This little strip on the top is supposed to represent the luminous radium that sometimes appeared on these wings. It was cut from the light green lozenge sheet, and applied in the correct position.

FokkerDVIIAlb148_zps19cbf857.jpg

This dark smudging appears on every photo of the D.VII that I have, apparently it was just the engine oil leaking out. It was added with Tensocrom Oil, if anyone is interested.

FokkerDVIIAlb149_zps78f46fb0.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb150_zpsc26c5827.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb151_zps44bb4c30.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb152_zps52315097.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb153_zpsb36fe921.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb154_zps458e5dbd.jpg

The basic weathering on the lower wing, it just needs some mud and dirt now to make it look right.

FokkerDVIIAlb155_zpsd91a976b.jpg

That it all for this update. I hope that everyone has enjoyed this build, and that the next pictures will be the final ones. Luckily, the weather has been great lately, so I can get some sunny pics once it's done.

Thanks to everyone for reading in. All of your comments and critiques are amazing and well-needed, so please continue with those. They are very welcomed.

Edited by scvrobeson

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Sweet! Stellar work on the Fokker and a joy to follow your build.

Hopefully in a few weeks (right after the Spit is finished), I'll finish up my Fokker as well.

Terrific work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Matt

Sweet! Stellar work on the Fokker and a joy to follow your build.

Hopefully in a few weeks (right after the Spit is finished), I'll finish up my Fokker as well.

Terrific work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Peter. I can finally say that the D.VII is finally done, and the pictures are here to prove it. I got it coated with a mix of Model Master Semi-Gloss and Flat clear, to accurately represent the finish of this plane. Since the planes were delivered very glossy, they never got dead flat, they always retained shine. I also added some mud to the under-carriage, taking some brown pastel and some white spirit, and getting that put on. Bit lighter than I would have wanted, but it gets the point across.

FokkerDVIIAlb156_zps7da725b1.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb157_zps5e3f5425.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb158_zps1d869774.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb160_zpse3622250.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb173_zps4a399080.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb166_zps4c7b1417.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb171_zps8d68cef2.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb169_zpsf1e03fa4.jpg

More pictures will be put up in the RFI gallery, and the Wings of the Great War gallery.

Thank you to everyone who has been following along on this journey with me, you have all been amazing help. Thanks to anyone who read in, commented, offered advice, and did anything to make this build move along. If anyone is in the California area this weekend, this will be at the Silicon Valley Kick-Off Classic in Santa Clara. Now onto my next big project, which will be revealed shortly.

Very nice indeed Matt! A most impressive model.

If you don't mind, wait for either Brian or Lou to put your photos in the GB gallery, as they can upload them directly to the LSP server, after which they're immune from the usual Photobucket shenanigans.

Kev

Very nice indeed Matt! A most impressive model.

If you don't mind, wait for either Brian or Lou to put your photos in the GB gallery, as they can upload them directly to the LSP server, after which they're immune from the usual Photobucket shenanigans.

Kev

Thanks Kevin. I will wait for it then. I couldn't even find the gallery, so hopefully I can't mess it up. Do I need to send in pictures, or will they be taken from this thread? Also, would you guys want me to submit this for an article for the webpage?

Thanks for reading in man, I"m glad you like it.