Fokker D.VII (Alb)

scvrobeson

Matt

Sweet! Nice progress on the Fokker - just love the face on the front cowl.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter! I really like the face too, that's why I decided to do this scheme over the one with the white cowl and tail.

I should have some pictures up this afternoon or evening, in between watching the Michigan game.

Matt :party0023:

Matt

Looking forward to the last photos as well.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks Peter. Here are the photos right here. Looks like I have to go scrape the seams off of the gun bodies, but I'm glad Guy pointed that out. I'll handle that tomorrow after school.

FokkerDVIIAlb130_zps8ab93c61.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb129_zpsfb40fada.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb128_zps90bc41fd.jpg

The first job over the last couple of days has been doing the prop. It was first given a coat of Tamiya Flat Flesh, then the lighter grain was done with MiG German Ochre paint. Once that dried up, I masked off the laminations, and then went over with Burnt Sienna oil paint. Once that had dried, which took about 12 hours, I gave everything a light mist coat of Tamiya's Clear Orange, to make the wood look varnished. I still have to add the decals and prop boss painting, but that can be done tomorrow. I think it looks good, thoughts?

Also been working on the engine, trying to get it looking good. I wish I had a better camera to show how the rocker arms look, but I promise that Taurus did a great job. I did have to trim a couple of the valve stems, but that was easy to do.

I also got the cylinder decals applied, and a few decals applied to the main body of the engine. There is still a lot more to add before I can get into the weathering stages of the engine, and making it look just right.

FokkerDVIIAlb121_zpscf297458.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb122_zps42f6367a.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb123_zpsb8763767.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb124_zps6ef860fb.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb125_zpsf39a532c.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb126_zpsc937952f.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb127_zps57fd73b7.jpg

The last photo shows a small pipe I added, because it's in all of the reference photos I have. I'm not sure why Wingnuts didn't include it, but I'm sure they have their reasons. It was simple to add with some small solder and a couple of holes.

I hope that everyone is enjoying this build. It's really moving along now, it's in the home stretch. Once this one is done, I can start turning my attention to my big Nationals build, and finishing the -262. Which I actually worked on tonight, and it's all on its own landing gear now! So that one is another step closer to finished.

Guest Peterpools

Hi Matt

Love the prop and the Mercedes. Everything is nicely coming together and looking real good.

Keep 'em coming

Hi Matt

Love the prop and the Mercedes. Everything is nicely coming together and looking real good.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks Peter. Now that the prop has been decaled, and the prop boss painted, it's now officially done. So now it's just down to the Mercedes, and then adding the mud and oil stains to finish it off. And I also removed the seam lines from the gun bodies and touched up the paint. Happy to have that fixed now, that mistake would have ended up haunting me.

The engine looks great, and the propeller looks like it's carved from laminated wood. Keep up the good work :m0152:

Thanks Dad. The prop isn't correct, here should be 7 laminations. But it's good for my first try. And would take an expert to point out the flaws, so hopefully there isn't one of those at the contest.

Matt

Well, the engine is another step closer to done. I got the spark plug wires, and the magneto wires all done up, so the engine is almost ready to install. It also got it's first wash on it, just a basic little coat of Burnt Umber. I still have some more wires to add, to make the engine look correct.

FokkerDVIIAlb131_zpse2f09747.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb132_zpsd0cd4378.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb133_zps41015d35.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb134_zps74bc51e2.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb135_zps4eb1ad7f.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb136_zps63d23473.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb137_zpsac99d555.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb138_zps6dfdcf1f.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb139_zps6a301287.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb140_zpsb8ab5a09.jpg

That's all for now. I hope that everyone is enjoying this build, it's really on the last couple of steps. Same with the Me-262, both are right on final approach. I think that there still needs to be some more weathering, but that won't be done until the last clear flat coat goes on.

Thanks to everybody who has been reading in, I'm gald you all like it. All comments and critiques are welcomed.

Excellent work Matt. Really impressive engine and prop!

Kev

Thank you very much Kevin. Now the trick will be getting to all fit into the front of the fuselage with no problems. These kits are designed with such tight tolerances that hopefully the extra wiring won't throw everything off.

It looks splendid Matt, good job. The wash really makes the detail pop and the plug wires add a brilliant colour contrast.

Thank you. Yes, they are very bright, but they've been washed as well now to tone them down, they were a bit too bright compared to photos. I think it needs maybe one more wash though, a dark greasy oil wash to really make it look like it was leaking fuel which was apparently very common.