Fokker D.VII (Alb)

scvrobeson

What Kevin said! :thumbsup:

I just finished off the upper cylinder assembly myself and I can concur, those parts are, as you put it, microscopic! I'm hoping that once my engine is done the rest will progress a little quicker. There's still quite a bit to do one the engine but for me the hardest part is done. Good luck with yours Matt!

Cheers,

Wolf

What Kevin said! :thumbsup:

I just finished off the upper cylinder assembly myself and I can concur, those parts are, as you put it, microscopic! I'm hoping that once my engine is done the rest will progress a little quicker. There's still quite a bit to do one the engine but for me the hardest part is done. Good luck with yours Matt!

Cheers,

Wolf

Then you are a luckier man than me. I think the hardest part on mine will be getting all of the extra wires added in, and that extra frame onto the fuselage. I agree with you though, those tiny little Taurus parts are microscopic, but they do seem to make things look better, so I guess that's a plus with them. The engine is really the last hurdle since everything else is mostly done on here.

Thanks for reading in Wolf. I'm really admiring your build, it's top-notch work.

Matt :party0023:

Hey Matt, I'm not sure you caught my latest post on adding the Taurus Model's stuff but you're going to want to shorten the valve stems in order to get the rocker arms to sit correctly. You should have gotten two extra valve spring assemblies too. I got one extra open valve (compressed spring) and one extra closed valve (relaxed spring). With two of them I managed to break off the valve stem but I drilled out the top of the assembly and replaced the stem with fine stretched sprue. Fitting the rocker arms is real fiddly too, fine needle nose tweezers and lots of holding my breath.

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Peterpools

Hi Matt

Awesome progress on your Fokker. I just read Wolf's post on the valve springs and thought they were a bit too tall.

Super work on the exhaust .. love the look and feel.

I need to get my act in gear and finish up my Fokker but what model time I had this weekend, was spent on the Spitfire. Hopefully, I'll get back on track and get her finished.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

Hey Matt, I'm not sure you caught my latest post on adding the Taurus Model's stuff but you're going to want to shorten the valve stems in order to get the rocker arms to sit correctly. You should have gotten two extra valve spring assemblies too. I got one extra open valve (compressed spring) and one extra closed valve (relaxed spring). With two of them I managed to break off the valve stem but I drilled out the top of the assembly and replaced the stem with fine stretched sprue. Fitting the rocker arms is real fiddly too, fine needle nose tweezers and lots of holding my breath.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks for the tip Wolf! I'm sure that will make things much easier when the time comes to add the rocker arms. I did actually manage to break both of the spares, so now I'm screwed if anything happens. I still need to dry-brush the springs with steel paint in order to make them look right. Right now, they're just black.

Thanks for reading in and offering help. Your build is really amazing.

H Matt

Awesome progress on your Fokker. I just read Wolf's post on the valve springs and thought they were a bit too tall.

Super work on the exhaust .. love the look and feel.

I need to get my act in gear and finish up my Fokker but what model time I had this weekend, was spent on the Spitfire. Hopefully, I'll get back on track and get her finished.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks Peter. There is still a bit of work to go onto the exhaust, probably some dark rust colored pigments, to make it look a bit more beat up. But it's getting close, and I'm happy with it so far. Now just to make the rest of the engine look right.

Don't rush yourself. Hurrying just leads to mistakes man. Enjoy your Spitfire build, and finish the Fokker when it gets done. I used your build for a lot of tips on this one.

Thanks for reading in buddy.

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Matt, much appreciated. Right now the Spitfire has become my main focus and has been a ton of relaxing fun. I'll follow your suggestion and finish the Spit first and then wind up the Fokker.

:rolleyes:

Thanks Matt, much appreciated. Right now the Spitfire has become my main focus and has been a ton of relaxing fun. I'll follow your suggestion and finish the Spit first and then wind up the Fokker.

:rolleyes:

That's great man. I've seen lots of Spitfires built up, and they do always look amazing. I wouldn't mind doing a Tamiya Spit at some point. Take your time on the Fokker, there is no rush to finish it. That's the good thing about just building for yourself.

Thanks for stopping in man. I'm glad that you like how it's been going

Well, she's now really in the home stretch. The tail is on, the top wing is on, the rigging is done, it's now just the engine and the final weathering to go now, and she's in the case.

I did a lot of patch work and repair on the wing lozenge decals, so I had to go back and re-do almost all of the weathering, but it came out okay in the end. Luckily you can still see all of the detail on it.

The engine is the last big project, but I've been culling photos in order to do it right with all of the correct detail and wiring.

FokkerDVIIAlb103_zps48f9779b.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb104_zps0bd7e5d4.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb105_zps536a9e7a.jpg
These guns almost killed me, but eventually with a lot of heat and bending, I was able to get them all together and aligned.

FokkerDVIIAlb106_zps0ffeb5eb.jpg

Basic weathering so far on the axle wing, this will get the characteristic oil stains later on.

FokkerDVIIAlb107_zps10ceb03a.jpg

Not sure about adding a windscreen. None of the pictures of my plane are clear enough that I can tell if I should add one or not?

FokkerDVIIAlb108_zps5c7be4a0.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb109_zps1aa523ea.jpg

Tail has been base-coated and shaded. Still needs a blending coat, and then the cross added to it before it can be glued in place.

FokkerDVIIAlb110_zps8081c600.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb111_zpsac06cf60.jpg

Just to prove that it is possible to get the seatbelts in after the fuselage is sealed. There was just enough room to drop them in with no trouble. And they bent to fit the seat after being heavily annealed before painting. They're Vallejo Dark Sand, with a Bunt Umber wash if anyone is wondering.

Also been plugging away at the engine, trying to get the basic parts attached before I go to town with the weathering and detailing.

FokkerDVIIAlb114_zps7739ad03.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb115_zps7079cd3d.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb116_zps183d3497.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb117_zps7d8eda2d.jpg

Getting the tiny little springs all attached was quite an exercise in madness, but the added level of detail really does help out and convince me that they were needed.

I also got the engine bay and front panel basically weathered, they'll still get some oil splashes and fuel leaks put on later, once I figure out how weathered the engine will be.

FokkerDVIIAlb112_zps186bf1f8.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb113_zpse7c92099.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb118_zps6aeebb4a.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb119_zps221467fa.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb120_zps8c3ce6f8.jpg

I really like the face on the front of the plane. Gives it so much more character and individuality.

That's all for this update. I'm going to see what I can get done on the engine this weekend, and maybe I'll have this thing all done by the end of next week?

Thanks to everyone who has been reading in and helping with this build, you've all been really great to offer such support.

All comments and critiques are welcomed.

Very nice Matt. You're making superb headway on your build now.

Very much like the oil spatter inside the bay. that is most convincing.

All of the extra attention is really paying off.

One thing that I did notice though. There appears to be what looks like seam line along the top of each gun breech. I'm not familiar with this era of aeroplane. Is that detail there on the full sized guns?

The seat belts look great. The colour looks like cloth to my eye and I'm glad there was enough room to plop them in without issue.

I'm eager to see how this looks when finished. Please keep us posted.

Cheers.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Sweet! Nice progress on the Fokker - just love the face on the front cowl.

Keep 'em coming

Very nice Matt. You're making superb headway on your build now.

Very much like the oil spatter inside the bay. that is most convincing.

All of the extra attention is really paying off.

One thing that I did notice though. There appears to be what looks like seam line along the top of each gun breech. I'm not familiar with this era of aeroplane. Is that detail there on the full sized guns?

The seat belts look great. The colour looks like cloth to my eye and I'm glad there was enough room to plop them in without issue.

I'm eager to see how this looks when finished. Please keep us posted.

Cheers.

Thank you very much for the great comments. I am really enjoying your F-15 build, I wish I could build the big jets like that.

You are right. I had never even noticed that seam line until you pointed it out. At least it was caught now instead of at a contest. I'll pop the guns off and fix that, thank you.

I'm glad you like the seat belts. They have a little more work to be done, but they're about 90% there.

I will be sure to continue posting pictures. I'm spending today working on the engine, so hopefully I'll get some pictures up later.

INCREDIBLE workmanship. :wow: Perfection in MY eyes. :bow:

Thank you very, very much. I'm glad you think so, I don't find my own work close to perfection, but I'm glad people think so. A lot of it is the Wingnuts kit, it really is top of the line. I've never seen such a high quality kit before, especially at that price point.

Thank you for stopping in.