Fokker D.VII (Alb)

scvrobeson

Today was a big day in the Fokker's life, and I got a bunch done on it. The fuselage is now all together, and the seams are cleaned up nicely. Next step is tackling the engine assembly, and making that look as accurate as possible. As nice as the engine is OOB, there is a bunch of stuff that can and will be added to make it look proper, including the Taurus Model details.

FokkerDVIIAlb050_zps1703621d.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb051_zps54742edc.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb052_zpse424ff49.jpg

The aileron control cables have been run out through the fuselage from the stick, now I just need to figure out how to keep them out of the way of the painting, decaling, and weathering process until it comes time to add the upper wing. That will cause a few headaches down the line I'm sure.

FokkerDVIIAlb053_zps712fcd8d.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb055_zpsc2b0dc66.jpg

Luckily, the engine frames went in perfectly, and are nice and rigid. As long as I followed the directions and worked slowly, I didn't find a single problem with it at all. Guess using everyone else's builds as guides helped out.

FokkerDVIIAlb056_zps69e5a7d2.jpg

There were two small sink marks on the underside of the fuselage, but these were easily filled in with Mr. Surfacer and sanded smooth.

FokkerDVIIAlb057_zpsdf87492c.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb058_zpscdc99ed1.jpg

And a sign of things to come, i got the wings together and sanded down. There are a couple of spots on the upper wing that need to filled and sanded, then I can Future the wings and start adding the lozenge decals. That will be a fun part, adding those bright decals, and weathering them. I want it to look weathered, but not too beat up. I'll just have to figure out how to mask the ribs without removing the decals.

That's all for now. I hope that everyone is enjoying the progress. Hopefully I'll be back with some more work in the next few days. All comments, critiques, challenges are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks guys.

Matt :party0023:

Edited by scvrobeson

Matt, please tell me you at least added the lap belts on to the seat assembly. I can't imagine how you're going to add them now if you haven't already now that the fuselage has been closed up. The shoulder straps will be interesting enough and they will look good thrown over the cockpit opening but those lap belts............

Hopefully I'm not too far from closing up the fuselage on mine as well.

She's lookin' great Matt!

Cheers,

Wolf

Looking really good Matt! Be careful to add a paint layer before adding Future; others have commented that the lozenge decals lay down much better this way. Cheers, Tom

Thank you very much Tom! I didn't know that, but I will for sure do that. I'll toss down a layer of Gunze Sail first under the Future in order to help the decals. I do want them to lay down nicely.

Thanks for stopping in and offering the help with this build.

Matt, please tell me you at least added the lap belts on to the seat assembly. I can't imagine how you're going to add them now if you haven't already now that the fuselage has been closed up. The shoulder straps will be interesting enough and they will look good thrown over the cockpit opening but those lap belts............

Hopefully I'm not too far from closing up the fuselage on mine as well.

She's lookin' great Matt!

Cheers,

Wolf

Actually.... I don't want to scare you but I did not add the lap belts yet, I was planning to add them a little later. I think I can squeeze them in on the side of the seat. And the shoulder belts will be a breeze, they'll just drop right over the back of the seat. I just wanted to add the HGW belts, but I also am impatient, and didn't want to wait forever to close the fuselage, so it's kind of my bad.

I hope your fuselage closing goes well. I found that removing the stitching on the top of the rear bulkhead helped the fit out, just a heads up.

Thank you for reading in. Hopefully we can all see some pictures of your build, I am sure it is going amazing.

Guest Peterpools

Hi Matt

Nice progress on one of OTTO's cousins. Your Fokker is shaping up really well and your progress is amazing, as compared to how slow mine has been I was finally able to test fit the upper wing late yesterday and it looks like, I'm now in the home stretch). I hope the seatbelts go on without to much fuss but once everything has been glued up, it's a very tight fit. I haven't used the HGW belts yet myself but have a few sets ready fo my next build. I have been following the discussion abou the best way to glue them on and it seems using a good PVA glue is the way to go. Have you decided how you are going to attach them? I should have mention the two sink marks on the fuselage underside, as I was surprised to have found them myself.

Has your dad started on his Fokker yet?

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn:

Matt, masking over decals is SCARRY! Not saying this is a fool proof way, but lately I've been using an overspray of clear Krylon acrylic lacquer as a final finish. It can be a gloss or a mix of gloss/flat to achieve any surface you might desire. I decant it from the big cans and use it as-is in my airbrush (clean up with lacquer thinner) When good and dry (dries to the touch in just a few minutes) it seems to be a very hard and tough protector. I've mistakenly had to remask at times with Tamiya tape and post-its and a tape I get from Wally World called Frog Tape and so far (knock-on-wood) I've had no pull aways of the decals. I still, in paranoia, remove the tape VERY carefully, but nothing bad as yet. Use your own experiementing.

One note: when you decant the paint (and a lot of you may know this) DO NOT put a tight lid on it or you'll have a bomb. Give it time to de-gas!

Edited by WillScarlet

Matt, masking over decals is SCARRY! Not saying this is a fool proof way, but lately I've been using an overspray of clear Krylon acrylic lacquer as a final finish. It can be a gloss or a mix of gloss/flat to achieve any surface you might desire. I decant it from the big cans and use it as-is in my airbrush (clean up with lacquer thinner) When good and dry (dries to the touch in just a few minutes) it seems to be a very hard and tough protector. I've mistakenly had to remask at times with Tamiya tape and post-its and a tape I get from Wally World called Frog Tape and so far (knock-on-wood) I've had no pull aways of the decals. I still, in paranoia, remove the tape VERY carefully, but nothing bad as yet. Use your own experiementing.

One note: when you decant the paint (and a lot of you may know this) DO NOT put a tight lid on it or you'll have a bomb. Give it time to de-gas!

Thank you very much for the tips! I will have to try that out. I will probably coat it with Klear, and see what that does. But I do have to paint over and mask over the decals in a few spots, so I will have to do it anyway. Luckily though Wingnuts includes repair patches on the decal sheet, so hopefully I can repair any mistakes that might happen.

Hi Matt

Nice progress on one of OTTO's cousins. Your Fokker is shaping up really well and your progress is amazing, as compared to how slow mine has been I was finally able to test fit the upper wing late yesterday and it looks like, I'm now in the home stretch). I hope the seatbelts go on without to much fuss but once everything has been glued up, it's a very tight fit. I haven't used the HGW belts yet myself but have a few sets ready fo my next build. I have been following the discussion abou the best way to glue them on and it seems using a good PVA glue is the way to go. Have you decided how you are going to attach them? I should have mention the two sink marks on the fuselage underside, as I was surprised to have found them myself.

Has your dad started on his Fokker yet?

Keep 'em coming

Hey Peter, it's good that your build is on the downhill side as well, that's always a rewarding feeling. I think I can still drop them in down the side of the seat, there should be just enough space. I just picked up a set of HGW seatbelts for my big B-25, so I think I will grab a set for the Fokker as well. They look really, really nice.

The sink marks weren't too bad, just a little annoying. But I'm happy that they were easy to remove.

He has, but hasn't posted pictures. He started on the engine first, while I started with step 1 of the instruction booklet.

Thanks for reading in buddy.

Matt

Say Hi to your Dad for me

Will do. Thanks Peter for stopping in and checking on both of our builds. I've currently been fighting my way through the wing lozenge, and it's driving me up a wall. I'll get one section that lays down perfect, and then the next section will be full of little bubbles I can't seem to get rid of. But I've been using a hair-dryer and some Solvaset to get them to suck down, and it seems to be working. Hopefully everything else will go okay, and I can get to the weathering part of the decaling.

Hope to get some pictures up tomorrow, or possibly Monday.

Matt :fight:

Guest Peterpools

Matt

I had a bit of trouble on the first one myself but after a bit, figured out the best way for myself and the rest went down fine. For me, it was using enough Micro Sol and the last application was a light pass with Solvaset. Then hands off.

Keep 'em coming

Edited by Peterpools

matt

I had a bit of trouble on the first one myself but after a bit, fogured out the best way for myself and the rest went down fine. For me, it was using enough Micro Sol and the last application was a light pass with Solvaset. Then hands off.

Keep 'em coming

I'll try that on the fuselage. I just applied them with water, and then used some Solvaset and the hair-dryer if they didn't settle down. But I couldn't get rid of all of the bubbles, except for after a lot of coats of Solvaset.

I got the fuselage base-coated today, so I should be able to get some decals on tomorrow since I don't have school.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Solvaset is amazing but it needs to be used with care, as some decals wrinkle up very fast and need to just be left alone until they completely dry. Most of the WNW decals worked well with the Solvaset but a few seemed to react a bit quicker. Wonder why?