Fokker D.VII (Alb)

scvrobeson

Nice work so far Matt. If you like painting you'll love building the cockpit section of this model. I'm almost done that part now on my OAW build and the airbrush and detail brushes have really had quite a work out. One thing to watch for that I picked up on while dry fitting is to enlarge the openings at the top of the forward gun mounts. As moulded, the pins on the guns that fit on to those mounts don't fit in to the apertures very well and that'll make fitting the MGs later a little interesting, especially lining them up with the ammunition feed chutes.

I'll be following with interest.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you very much for the tip. I will look into that. You should post your build on here so we can all see it. If it's as amazing as your Spitfire, it will be a show stopper. I will hopefully be spending lots of time with the detail brushes to make sure the cockpit all looks right, because you really can see everything inside of there.

Thank you for stopping in. I hope that I don't disappoint with this build.

Matt :party0023:

I got a bit more work done on the Fokker. I am getting more work done on the interior, but in all honestly, I'm maybe about 25% of the way done with the cockpit work.

The decals were applied over a coat of Gunze Sail, although you really can't tell. I still need to do the stitching around the rear bulkhead and firewall, and start weathering the components. The decals look great, but a bit too clean for a battle veteran.

FokkerDVIIAlb019_zps41d1a9b1.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb020_zps1fb746b7.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb021_zps16c383e7.jpg

I also decaled the instrument panel, and started assembling some of the floor components. I still need to paint the fuel tank, and then I can add a bunch more parts to the sidewalls and floor.

FokkerDVIIAlb022_zps69675d8c.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb023_zpsc6b2d696.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb024_zps32c1f49f.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb025_zpsa7dc9f59.jpg

I also worked on the seat. I painted the cushions with Vallejo Brown Leather, and then drybrushed it with Vallejo German Yellow Ochre. I also picked out the buttons in the cushion with Model Master Gold enamel. Hopefully with the HGW seat belts, the seat will be finished up and look nice.

FokkerDVIIAlb026_zps2a5e904b.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb027_zps7986c769.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb028_zps85dbfa3e.jpg

Thanks for reading in everyone. I hope that you're all enjoying this build. This kit really is amazing, I can't wait to keep working on it.

Matt

Super work on the front office . Seems like yesterday, I was there myself.

Keep 'em coming

Thank you very much Peter! I have seen how your build has progressed, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm going to use it to help out with my build. I've been trying to read as many different builds as I can to find any potential issues I will have to work out.

Guest Peterpools

Hi Matt

Thanks to you and Ron, I'm back working on the Fokker and made some nice progress the past few days. Getting close to rigging and attaching the upper wing. :rolleyes:

Hi Matt

Thanks to you and Ron, I'm back working on the Fokker and made some nice progress the past few days. Getting close to rigging and attaching the upper wing. :rolleyes:

That's great that you've started working on it again Peter. Your build was coming along great, hope you can get some good progress done soon.

I got a ton of work done today, so I thought you all might like to see how it looks.

First thing I did was to paint the fuel tank, which sadly is completely invisible on the finished plane. But at least I know it's there. I first gave it a coat of Model Master Gold in order to represent the brass color. Once that was dry, I went back over it with Tamiya XF-61 Dark Green. Once it had a chance to dry, I scuffed it up with a Squadron Tri-Grit sanding stick. I used the black end of the tri-grit to scuff and weather the paint. I think it came out great, but you'll sadly never see it once it's installed in the fuselage.

FokkerDVIIAlb038_zps9cc3f550.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb036_zpsa360d569.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb037_zps1552c780.jpg

I also got some weathering done on the inside. I knew that the plane wouldn't get too beaten up, but I know that it would still get dirty. So I mixed up some Burnt Umber oil paint, and put in on the various pieces and recesses. On the lozenge sides, I splattered the paint off of the brush, to look like the weathering I've seen in these cockpits. And I really made sure to tone down the back bulkhead, since the decal just looked too bright for my taste.

FokkerDVIIAlb030_zps56bf5450.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb031_zpsee312e7e.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb032_zps8d313a19.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb033_zps0fdee4dd.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb034_zps0afceebe.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb035_zps39af27c4.jpg

This evening, after everything dried, I was able to get the cockpit frames all put together. I got all of the control lines and various rigging done with .15mm EZ-Line, my first usage of the stuff. Now I don't know why I waited so long, this stuff is so easy to use. I got the control lines all done, and run through the rear bulkhead before I assembled everything together. Putting the frames all together was very easy to do, Wingnuts really makes alignment and construction so simple. Most of the parts just press-fit together, and then I could run glue into the joint. I will add the seat belts once the fuselage is together, so I can drape them up over the side of the fuselage.

FokkerDVIIAlb039_zpsf68f1504.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb040_zps2c46ee1a.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb041_zps6a67ecf9.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb043_zpsdb073b04.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb042_zpsc9a49b3e.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb047_zpsec26d299.jpg

The last you'll see of the fuel tank, but I think it came out looking great.

FokkerDVIIAlb046_zps951ea863.jpg

And my not too beautiful, but very sufficient way of securing the control wires behind the back bulkhead. I guess I could have run them all of the way through the fuselage, but that would be a lot of wires laying all over the place in the back end of the fuselage.

FokkerDVIIAlb048_zps2f04ce8f.jpg

I also remembered to wood-grain the top of the fuselage. It isn't mentioned very clearly in the instructions, but it's very noticeable if not done. So I made sure to do that before I could put the fuselage.

That's all for now. I hope that everyone is enjoying how this build is going, and are enjoying reading my progress. I hope to be back soon with some work done. Any and all comments and critiques are of course welcomed and encouraged. I know there's a thread going on about this, so I want to make it very clear that I am okay with critiques in my builds. It's the only way to learn and improve.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Some incredible progress on your Fokker and I totally agree the fuel tank and a lot of the interior work will be hidden forever. I went just the opposite, did a Alclad finish, on the tank, worried about fingerprints and in the end, just the fuel caps can be seen. Nice work on the interior and the weathering all blends together so well.

Looking real good. Keep 'em coming

:popcorn:

Matt.. She's coming along beautifully! I can only echo what Kevin has said.. You're painting looks great. I like the weathering over the lozenge as well. You keep up this pace and you'll be knocking out two a month!

Cheers,

Jerry

Very nice work Matt. It seems to me that your painting is improving pretty much with every model. I can't offer you anything more constructive than that I'm afraid!

Kev

Thank you very much Kevin. That is nice of you to say. The exterior painting and lozenge work is where the challenge will really lie though, so we'll have to wait and see if my skills have improved. But I have been using Mr. Color lacquer lately, and I'm really liking the paint for detail painting work.

Thank you for reading in

Matt

Some incredible progress on your Fokker and I totally agree the fuel tank and a lot of the interior work will be hidden forever. I went just the opposite, did a Alclad finish, on the tank, worried about fingerprints and in the end, just the fuel caps can be seen. Nice work on the interior and the weathering all blends together so well.

Looking real good. Keep 'em coming

:popcorn:

I figured that it would be invisible, but I figured it would be a fun exercise to try and paint it up and weather it. I wish it could be seen though, but taking the top panel off would require a lot more detail added to the build. I'm glad you like the interior though. I think it came out well, but sadly you can't see much of it at all once it's all done and installed.

Thanks for reading in buddy. I've been following your build, and hopefully you're doing okay with the snow coming down. At least it's better than the tornado that went through one of my friend's schools in Mississippi.

Matt.. She's coming along beautifully! I can only echo what Kevin has said.. You're painting looks great. I like the weathering over the lozenge as well. You keep up this pace and you'll be knocking out two a month!

Cheers,

Jerry

Thank you Jerry. Two a month sounds like quite the challenge actually, but it's possible. My Me-262 is almost done, and this one is moving pretty quickly. So maybe I could finish both of them? I'm glad you like the painting, I'm going to try most of those weathering techniques on the outside lozenge as well, since that will be the most visible part. And I'm enjoying your build as well, looks like it will turn out great.

Thanks for reading in Jerry.