Fokker D.VII (Alb)

scvrobeson

Hey everybody. I figured I would jump into this GB with my WNW Fokker D.VII. I'm going to add in some Taurus Model AM to detail the engine up a bit, and then see what else I can add as I go along. I'm going to be swamped with school for the next couple of weeks, so I won't be able to get much of a start, but I'll try and see if I can find some time to work on her.

Matt :party0023:

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Welcome to the Great War. Looking forward to to the start of your build.

Hopefully, seeing you get going, will push me to finish mine and then join the GB

Looking forward to you first build photos.

Glad you're joining in Matt! Sounds like a good project.

Kev

Thanks Kevin! I was very excited to get started for this group build, and I'm glad that Wingnuts finally got around to releasing the D.VII kit.

I'm going to try and add some HGW seatbelts, and get ahold of the Kagero book if anyone ever gets it in stock.

Matt, I am so looking forward to this build of yours. I do love Fokkers so I can't wait ..good luck ... : thumbsup: { by pure chance the postie brought MY book today, a PFALZ D.IIIA by P.M.GROSZ, which was a prize I won from ROLL MODELS.. It would have been just great had it been a book on what you are building.....}

That's great that you won a book from them. You should get the Wingnuts Pfalz D.IIIA kit, I'm sure that it will be great as well. All of their kits are really top notch. I can't wait to build the Fokker. The few builds I've seen of it so far have looked really great.

Matt

Welcome to the Great War. Looking forward to to the start of your build.

Hopefully, seeing you get going, will push me to finish mine and then join the GB

Looking forward to you first build photos.

Thanks Peter. Hopefully you can join up into the GB as well. It looks like this will a great group build, with lots of quality builds. I've been following your Fokker build, and looking for tips to help with mine.

I think if I can finish this one quickly, then I might try and do a Sopwith Snipe as well, it looks like an amazing kit too.

Hi Matt, I'm eager to see how the engine mods turn out.

Thanks Guy. Hopefully they will come out well, and I'm going to add and detail the engine as well. There is some small stuff that Wingnuts missed on the engine, and a little bit of detail that needs to be changed or drilled out, so that will hopefully make it look great.

I'm really loving your F-15C build. I really want to do that Tamiya kit someday, and I will be sure to use your build as a guide someday.

Hello Matt, Just welcomed your Father ... And with you both building Fokkers I am doubly excited.. :popcorn:

Thank you very much. I'm happy that my dad has joined up with the website, and will be building in here. We both got each other D.VII kits so we could do this, and I can't wait to build mine.

I have actually started getting some small jobs out of the way with this kit, so I should show you all what I've been doing.

FokkerDVIIAlb001_zpsb097662c.jpg

Starting off of course with the great box art, really amazing stuff. I had thought about doing the Stag scheme, but it seems pretty popular, so I'll do something different.

FokkerDVIIAlb002_zps2480b87f.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb003_zpsaf308707.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb018_zps6203f4ae.jpg

This is the scheme I will be doing. It looks really cool, and I like the big bright markings on the side. And the face on the cowling is really fun.

FokkerDVIIAlb017_zps1a892531.jpg

Here is the only AM so far. It's the Taurus Model engine upgrades, but I think I might also add in some HGW seatbelts as well, since they look a bit nicer than the photo-etch included in the kit, as nice as that is.

FokkerDVIIAlb004_zpsedf295fe.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb005_zps494ae376.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb008_zpsaf367f81.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb009_zps431684ab.jpg

I've been doing all of the small jobs needed to make the kit ready for the decal option I'm doing. That means drilling out the vent holes in the cowling, removing a louvre from the side panel, and removing part of the axle wing for decal option D. It was all a relatively simple job, using drill bits, my Micro-chisel, and a JLC razor saw. After removing the louvre on the engine panel, I flipped the part over, and filled in the space behind it. I figured that if they took the louvre off, it wouldn't have been stamped through from behind, so there would be no depression as well.

FokkerDVIIAlb010_zpse8af9794.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb011_zps9088e705.jpg

Also did a bit of of internal painting. I used Mr. Color C60 RLM 02 for the interior grey, and then Mr. Color C33 for the Flat Black.

FokkerDVIIAlb012_zpsfcae602e.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb013_zpsc1c01168.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb016_zps37c356dc.jpg

Also did the woodgraining in the interior. I sprayed down Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow, and then streaked on some Raw Umber oil paint with a stiff brush. I then worked and streaked the paint on until I had a good looking woodgrain. I also stippled the paint a little bit to give some other shapes and knots to the wood panels.

FokkerDVIIAlb014_zpscb718887.jpg

FokkerDVIIAlb015_zpsf7822716.jpg

That's all for the progress right now. I hope that you all enjoy it. I'm going to work on this one in conjunction with finishing up the Me-262, so I'll be working on both of them. Thanks to everyone for reading in and checking on this build.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Very impressed with the delicate wood grain. Glad to see you took care of all the little details and clean up so they aren't missed later on.

Keep 'em coming

Matt

Very impressed with the delicate wood grain. Glad to see you took care of all the little details and clean up so they aren't missed later on.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks Peter! That's exactly why I'm doing all of the mundane little details first, so I don't forget about them later. My last couple of builds have always had nagging problems with them because I didn't take care of something small, and it came back as a big issue later on. So I'm making sure I take care of anything first that could get in the way later on, so once I really get into the build, it's smooth sailing.

Thanks for stopping in. I'm glad you like how the woodgrain came out. All of the pictures I found showed it pretty subtle, so I wanted to make it look right. Hopefully it will look good sealed inside the fuselage.

Nice work so far Matt. If you like painting you'll love building the cockpit section of this model. I'm almost done that part now on my OAW build and the airbrush and detail brushes have really had quite a work out. One thing to watch for that I picked up on while dry fitting is to enlarge the openings at the top of the forward gun mounts. As moulded, the pins on the guns that fit on to those mounts don't fit in to the apertures very well and that'll make fitting the MGs later a little interesting, especially lining them up with the ammunition feed chutes.

I'll be following with interest.

Cheers,

Wolf