WNW Albatros D. V

ladder4boy

Started cutting parts off the sprue last night just after midnight cuz I couldn't wait any longer! Will be done as the box art.. Fritz Rumey's mount from Jasta 5, 1917. May get the Barracuda cast intake manifold for it as the engine is highly visible.. But other than that, and some Gaspack turnbuckles, and Bob's buckles tubing and eyelets.. And some scratch building on the engine, it'll be strictly OOB! May try some of the Uschi van der Rosten wood grain decals on the inside as well. I'm planning on building the FE 2b early and the DH2 as well, and will probably be wood-graining all those interior parts at the same time. Pics to follow soon.. Probably tomorrow

Cheers,

Jerry

obligatory box top pic.. along with the others i hope to get done during this GB.. Ordered the Uschi decal stuff from Grant this morning.. gonna try it out on the interior wood stuff and see how it comes out.

SAM_0575_zps8994c784.jpg

and interior parts.. bunch of small fiddly stuff, ready for clean up and painting..

SAM_0579_zps75b8199a.jpg

gonna tape up the fuselage and cut the struts and wings out next to test fit everything and see if i can work around this dreaded dihedral problem everyone speaks of.

real progress pics later after i gets me some paintin' done.

cheers,

Jerry

Brian.. Thanks for watching! I'll make sure I show everything I do.. But from what I understand, it's not much of a problem if your aware of it going in and watch out for it.

Ron..stellar build there! I perused It a couple days ago before starting. My M.O. Is usually to search on here before I start a kit and see what everyone else has done beforehand to avoid the pitfalls and get inspired. That, and blatantly steal fixes and ideas.. and find some inspiration! What's that old saying about imitation and flattery?

Guy.. Thanks for the pep talk! The hardest part form me is to get of my lazy butt and get the paintbrush out. I usually go gangbusters on pre-assembly building, then get into a funk when it comes time to paint the interior cuz I'm afraid to mess stuff up... Then I get through it and get the fuse closed up and sanded, then back into a scaredy-cat phase of messing up the paint job. At least this way I'll have the interiors painted on 3 of them before I reach the exterior paint job phase! Not really planning on having all 3 finished by the end of this, but I'm hoping to at least get the Albi and one other done. We'll see how much time I have.

Cheers guys!

Jerry

Edited by ladder4boy

Guest Clunkmeister

Started cutting parts off the sprue last night just after midnight cuz I couldn't wait any longer! Will be done as the box art.. Fritz Rumey's mount from Jasta 5, 1917. May get the Barracuda cast intake manifold for it as the engine is highly visible.. But other than that, and some Gaspack turnbuckles, and Bob's buckles tubing and eyelets.. And some scratch building on the engine, it'll be strictly OOB! May try some of the Uschi van der Rosten wood grain decals on the inside as well. I'm planning on building the FE 2b early and the DH2 as well, and will probably be wood-graining all those interior parts at the same time. Pics to follow soon.. Probably tomorrow

Cheers,

Jerry

Jerry,

Are you doing Rumey's devil head Albie, or the candy striper as on the boxtop?

I was thinking of doing the devil head myself, but will cease and desist if you already are...

Edited by Clunkmeister

Guest Clunkmeister

The dihedral issue is really a non event if you're ready for it. I've built a few of these and they go together awesome.

Just understand that the lower wing needs dihedral and bend the wing up a bit to meet the struts.

Also, make sure the cabane holes in the upper wing are clear and the struts fit FLUSH when pushed into their holes.

This kit is precise, so be very, very careful when fitting the fuselage interior parts or the halves won't close completely!

Clunk.. I'm doing the candy striper, so please do the devil head cuz I'd love to see it! I was made painfully aware of wingnuts tight tolerances working on the Gotha, so I'm ready for it. Plan on taping off all the glue joins in the fuse and all the cabane connections on the wing will get some blue tack in them. I find it funny how for years we bitched about having loose joints that needed filler.. Now we complain about perfect joints that need masking! What I do love, especially on WW1 planes that need to be painted before assembly, is that you can paint everything and not have to worry about having to putty the joint after completion and re-paint! Just a touch of pin wash and it looks lovely! Glueing parts and filling seams now.. Painting and progress pics tomorrow..

Cheers guys!

Jerry

Guest Clunkmeister

Jerry,

I've done a few WnW Albies over the last year, and am gonna do several more...

I was so used to stupid clearances on models, that honestly, I never thought twice about the dihedralissue.

Then, with all the hooplah about it, I mocked one up in the gray. It fit perfectly! So, all I can say is that somewhere, someplace, we are all messing up with clearances.

I just LOVE that kit more than all the others, including Harry Tate and the D.Vll!

HI all, I think the wing issues some are having stem from a molding problem with the top, not bottom wing. The recent windsock issue on building the WNW Albatros outlines the problem. The top wing should have no dihedral. However, many (not all) of the WNW kits do. Supposedly this results from premature removal of the spruce from the mold. I will be clamping my top wings flat to a sturdy wooden kitchen cutting board and then slowly pouring boiling water across the center section of the wing. This should slightly soften the styrene- then a dose of cold water and all should be good. Might take a few attempts to completely straighten the wing, but with care this should fix some of the problems we are having.

Mammoth.. Thanks for the idea. I taped everything up this weekend and temp'ed it in place and It seems to fit fine.. My top wing has very little dihedral to it.. Maybe it's more of an issue in some kits than others like academy's f-18 wing warpage? Anyhow, seems to be a non-issue for me as long as I keep the join paint-free. Didn't manage any painting, but all parts are clipped from their sprue and cleaned up. Started on the spandaiu's and immediately managed to screw up the PE.. I had no problems tempering the cooling jackets on the Gotha parabellums, but these almost immediately melted as soon as I put it over the candle. Oh well, good excuse to order some of Master's beautiful barrels! I'm thinking about ordering the engine stuff from Taurus as well.. Just wondering if it's worth it over the kit parts. That means I'll probably order it tonight when I get home.

My main focus on this kit will be making sure the stuff I look at in a model is done well... No visible seam lines, cockpit (what's visible at least) is up to snuff, engine looks cool, guns look like they're 'sposed to, paint job well done, and rigging looks right. Hope to start painting tonight.

Peter.. Thanks for looking in! Waiting for you to tackle that dihedral fix on yours so you can finish her up.. She's coming along beautifully!

Cheers guys,

Jerry

Jerry, I've done a few WnW Albies over the last year, and am gonna do several more... I was so used to stupid clearances on models, that honestly, I never thought twice about the dihedralissue. Then, with all the hooplah about it, I mocked one up in the gray. It fit perfectly! So, all I can say is that somewhere, someplace, we are all messing up with clearances. I just LOVE that kit more than all the others, including Harry Tate and the D.Vll!

Still waiting to see some pics... ;-)