Trumpeter 1/32 Messerschmitt Me262

ajaycad

Thanks Nick, I wasn't aware Roy Sutherland had produced a set of wheel for the 262. I might replace the Mastercaster wheels I have already used with the Barracuda items. Just had a look at them on Roy's website - I like the way he has moulded the brake pipes separate. The Mastercaster wheels are a vast improvement on the kit wheels though.

Edited by ajaycad

I have made good progress on the 262 since my last post. The port engine is completed and the major fuselage construction is complete. This stage is my favourite, applying the colour scheme. I have pre-shaded the fuselage and have managed to apply the RLM 76 under surfaces. As usual I have used Gunze paint, as the finish in my opinion, is about the best I have come
across.

IMG_2253_zps9e828c03.jpg

I'm not the neatest when it comes to pre-shading as you can see, and to be honest I don't normally pre-shade. However I thought I would on this build. I generally post-shade as I find that works best for me

IMG_2254_zpse7d7d560.jpg

IMG_2255_zps52f93253.jpg

I'm anticipating a fit issue with the front windscreen to the upper fuselage, as the windscreen component seems slightly narrower that the upper fuselage profile. I don't really fancy doing any major surgery in this area, but I may have no choice.

All the ancilliary details are mostly complete, and I feel this colour scheme is going to challenge my freehand airbrush skills (or lack of to be more accurate!!) with regards to the multi coloured mottle effect around the empennage and stabs.

Until next time.........

Beautiful work !

Did you remember to put in nose weight - didn't see it in your posts ?

Doh!!

No Thomas, clean forgot :doh: I'm hoping that the extra weight of the resin will suffice. If not I'll work something out.

Edited by ajaycad

Have once again made good progress. The paintwork is all but done and 90% of the sub assemblies are finished. It took me a full day to complete the colour scheme, using Blu Tak strips for the fuselage demarcation and Tamiya tape for the hard edges wing pattern. Once the two greens had been applied to the wings and fuselage, I blended the two tones in with my Harder and Steenbeck airbrush to soften the edges of the colours.

The soft edge at the lower fuselage, between the green and light blue were airbrushed freehand, and I'm quite happy with the result.

The tail mottling was pretty straight forward. I usually apply a coat of gloss varnish or Future floor polish at this stage, to give a good base for the decals, but to be honest, I find the Gunze finish so good, that I didn't bother on this build - hopefully I wont regret that decision !

IMG_2256_zpse622957f.jpg

IMG_2258_zpsf0e92735.jpg

Now I can get on with decaling.

A few days off work has given me the chance to get a lot done. The decaling is now complete, but it wasn't without its frustrations. I found some of the Eagle decals a bit of a mixed bag in how they settled onto the model. Most settled onto the model with no problems, no silvering at all aided with MicroSol. However the black underwing crosses split apart and creased very easily. A few applications of Set/Sol managed to repair them as best I could and the result is acceptable.

However the red and black tail band is completely wrong. On one side the red and black chequered pattern is correct, but when I applied the other (stbd) decal, the red and blacks are the wrong way around resulting in a large black rectangle across the top of the fuselage spine. At first I though I had got it wrong, but no matter what combination I used it was still wrong.

The end result was that the decals broke up and were totally trashed. I had no choice but to spray the alternate red and black chequered design. I am now very pleased with the result.

I was going to use Red RLM 23 (Gunze) however when I opened the jar, it was a dark pink, something like a dark salmon pink. It was definitely not red ! Maybe I had a rogue jar. Looking at online colour chips for RLM 23, it is definitely not pink !! Maybe the true RLM 23 does indeed have a pink shade to it, however it didn't look right to the eye.

I also added a bit more mottling to the tail fin as photos of the real aircraft showed that the light blue was mostly covered by the mottling

jv44_zps11bdcdd9.jpg

I therefore resulted to Tamiya red, slightly toned down to remove the brightness. This matched the decal colours much better.

Interestingly, there is a story behind this particular aircraft. At the end of the war Wk Nr 501232 was flown (with its undercarriage stuck down) from its parent station and handed to the Allies. Photos show that the red and black tail band was incomplete on the starboard side - the black squares had been painted, but not all the red squares. ( I have depicted this aircraft as if the tail band was finished)

This aircraft was then shipped over to the USA, test flown, then eventually left to the elements. It was then restored and is now on display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force, Wright Paterson AFB Ohio - albeit in the wrong colour scheme !!.

Once the decals had dried, a coat of Future was sprayed over the entire model.

And that's where I am. I'm hoping to finish the oil wash and post shade today, I will be quite restrained in weathering the model, this particular aircraft probably had very few flying hours on it, so not much wear and tear.

Then its just attach all the sub assemblies and she's finished.

IMG_2260_zps0a360f36.jpg

IMG_2261_zps59741447.jpgIMG_2262_zps85ea3e3e.jpg

Edited by ajaycad