Tamiya Spitfire Mk. IXc UPDATE 4/20/13 Complete and in the books.

Guest Peterpools

You mentioned in your first post that you used a oil pin wash. Do you mix that yourself? Can you give me the recipe? I have been a model builder for a long time (20 years) but I have always been an out of the box builder. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

Guest Peterpools

Kallisti

Thanks for the suggestion on brushing on the Kleer/Future.Now that the Spit has dried, the Future seems to have smoothed out a bit more but still not what I'm use to. Will surely try brushing it on next time around to see how smooth I can get it. :rolleyes:

Guest Peterpools

Thomas

Thanks so much. Always a bit nervous breaking new ground and so far, so good. I have my fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

Guest Peterpools

Aircrav

I'm with you and until recently, have struggled with pin washes. Once I watched enough videos and worked out a repeatable procedure, things just started to get better and better.

I use good quality oil paints. I mix a nice brush full into a small jar of Artist Odorless Paint Thinner. Use a good quality thinner, as cheaper ones aren't as strong or pure. I use Mona Lisa Thinner purchased at Michael's.

I make the pin wash very thin but still strong enough to be seen.

Prior to do the pin wash - gloss the model.

Now apply the pin wash. Don't be concerned if it spreads out a bit, just apply if for the best coverage you can.

After you are happy with the color, let it dry - don't touch it.

When dry, use the odorless paint thinner and carefully clean up any unwanted oils, they will come right off. I do this with a fine brush. In a few minutes, the pin wash will be exactly where and how you want it.

Now let it dry and then overcoat with clear flat. If you apply the pin wash to a mat surface, it with feather out into the paint and is nearly impossible to clean up. Sometimes, this might be the effect you want but not often.

I pretty much follow the procedure as outlined by MIG and it works well and is easy to do.

Hope this helps.

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Sinuhe

Much appreciated. Working as much as time allows these days but progress is being made. Decaling for a few hours tonight.

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Wolf Much appreciated

I started the decaling last night and with just a few in place, she indeed is looking to look a bit more lovable.

Guest Peterpools

After working through the Future/Gloss problems it was time to start decaling. For the very first time, I had major issues with Tamiya decals: cracking and completely breaking apart, to the point they were mostly unusable. I am guessing that the kit was stored by the vendor I bought it from for years in a hot warehouse and that most likely was the cause of the problem. I planned on using the Eagle Cals EC 114 for KH-B markings anyway, so after cleaning up the mess, I switched gears and went to work. I had on heck of a time getting the RAF roundels to sit down over the bulges on the top and bottoms of the wings but with lots of Micro Set and a full day effort, they finally settled in. For the most part, the decals are done except for a few more data stencils to go on the fuselage and all those destined for the cowl and gear door.

Once completed, the Spit needs a wash down to remove the lint and dust that has settled in, then another nice coat of Future. The yellow leading edges will be added, followed up with some light and mild weathering. At least the the plan for the next week or so.

Thanks for checking in and stopping by. Enjoy.

PCW_4111_zpsb380222b.jpg

PCW_4109_zps83e677ea.jpg

PCW_4108_zps3c54cc0c.jpg

PCW_4105_zpsc773a560.jpg

PCW_4103_zps5b34bcba.jpg

The pre shading came through nicely and hopefully will be a nice start to the underside weathering.

PCW_4113_zps120874b2.jpg

Egads! What a disaster.

PCW_4119_zpsa79929a9.jpg

Edited by Peterpools