Tamiya Spitfire Mk. IXc UPDATE 4/20/13 Complete and in the books.

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Matt.

You sure it it right on the head. Papa Tamiya makes it a pleasure to build a kit OOB; add a bit of weathering a detail here and there and and you're good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

My bench time is starting to show the effects of the pool season kicking into gear. Progress has been slow but the fuselage has been primed, basic cammo work completed and four coats of Future applied. I thought I would try using Future rather then Glosscote for all the obvious health reasons, not to mention the odor with all the windows buttoned up. It's getting glossy but not where I would be with Glosscote at this point. Looking for a finish with some weathering but wanting the look of a well maintained aircraft, I started to break up the solid colors slightly, working towards that goal. This is the first time I've attempted a cammo finish since my nearly 30 year vacation from the hobby and looking at the photos, there are a few areas that will need a bit of touch work

So far, so good, as the Tamiya acrylics laid down nicely. I still need to air brush on the yellow leading edges and then I should be ready to start the decaling process.

The Merlin is just about done and needs a bit of semi gloss and that should be that as well. The gear is just screwed in place for painting and still needs to be worked on.

PCW_4100_zps48faf916.jpg

PCW_4101_zpsf00d46cb.jpg

The prop was painted NATO black to ease off the stark black color and cowl panels are primed and ready for their cammo skins.

PCW_4102_zpsef2ba1ad.jpg

Thanks for looking in and following the build.

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Totally agree, as the ocean gray/dark green cammo has a look and feel all of it's own

Thanks Buddy, much appreciated.

Guest Peterpools

Franks

Much appreciated. Thought I lean towards a scale color effect and see how it looks. So far, seems to be headed in the right direction.

Do you spray your Klear? I find that brush painting gives a much shinier coat much faster than spray. The brush tends to put down a slightly thicker coat but since its self levelling, this tends not to be a problem, in fact its an advantage! When I built my Tamiya Spit a couple of years ago I brush painted the Klear and it went down great. Just use a large soft brush

Edited by KallistiUK