Bucking the trend,......not a WNW build

geedubelyer

Ooh my the only thing I can say you are starting to get my mojo fired up for an eagle stop it ! :mental: :fight:

Lovely work of which I can only hope to replicate half of it, just a quick Q though if I may sir. What did you use to thin down the edge of the plastic there it looks very clean and even hats off!

Cheers Fred

Ooh my the only thing I can say you are starting to get my mojo fired up for an eagle stop it !

{~snip~}....a quick Q though if I may sir. What did you use to thin down the edge of the plastic there it looks very clean and even hats off!

Cheers Fred

Hi Fred, great to see you buddy. You tease! I'd love to see you build an Eagle. Let me lmow when you start so I can follow along.

I'm guessing you mean around the engine feathers? All I did was slice away the plastic roughly with a flat chisel (a wood carving tool that I boutgh a while ago) then scraped the groove with the edge of my modelling knife before finishing off with a small file. (It's really not that neat close-up but thank you for the compiment..... :innocent: )

Cheers Guy, I understand. Unless you want to scratch build the FOD covers, PWMP makes a really nice set which comes with AOA covers as well.

Plastic World Model Products

:lol:

Hi Frank, great minds think alike! I wish I'd seen your post earlier in the day....could have saved myself a little effort. (See below :doh: )

Thanks for the link my friend, much appreciated. Before I saw your post I had decided on FOD guards to hide the mayhem likely to result from my intake remedies so I resolved to try to scratch-build some.

I cut out a template from plasticard and mounted some rectangular extrusion on the rear face to act as a handle. Then I mixed some Citadel green stuff and divided it into two balls.

5117f98065060.jpg

I used a length of tube to roll the ball out then placed the template on top and pressed it down. I cut off the excess with a blade and used sculpting tools to add the creases and folds. I'd saved a couple of reference photos from the web so copied them. One has a central band and is somewhat creased, the other was plain and smoother looking.

5117fa520c43d.jpg

I have seen photos of either style in use with the 493rd and wanted to keep my options open. A quick blast with some Chaos black primer suggests how they are destined to look eventually.

5117facf13ae6.jpg

I also had a closer look at the area where the nodding intake mouths attach to the trunking, particularly the upper edge of the fuselage. This side view shows that there is a gentle taper just aft of the intake.

5117fbd86621c.jpg

The kit part differs slightly. The edge of the fuselage continues almost all the way to the edge of the intake then angles down abruptly. In addition, the depth of the plastic means the gap is too deep between the upper edge of the intake and the upper edge of the fuselage.

5117fc668ed43.jpg

My fix involved adding some plastic stock before removing it again.....

Edited by geedubelyer

Guy- Brilliant work on the covers, like the fact that each is a bit different. In fact, I think yours look smashing- even better as they are home made. I know you are up to the task of making the AOA covers (the ones on your 1/32 F-16 are sublime) so that should give you no troubles either.

You are a MACHINE!!!

Guy- Brilliant work on the covers, like the fact that each is a bit different. In fact, I think yours look smashing- even better as they are home made. I know you are up to the task of making the AOA covers (the ones on your 1/32 F-16 are sublime) so that should give you no troubles either.

You are a MACHINE!!!

You're too kind my friend but thanks Frank. ^_^

In truth, I may leave the pitots and AOAs uncovered. Lots of photos on the web show them uncovered but the intake plugs in place.

The one FOD cover that always seems to be fitted is the one over the large exhaust grille behind the canopy. I actually have plans for that grille so I'm undecided as to whether or not to add that cover. If I can make it removable and still look convincing I'll do it that way.

Getting back to these FOD guards, do you think it would look better if I make two more to make two matching pairs? I'm wondering about approaching an aftermarket resin guy to see if they would like to cast some for re-sale..... :hmmm:

Anyhoo, back to today's mods. The plastic extrusion that I glued to the top of the fuselage behind the intake was sanded smooth.

51180571127c2.jpg

511805951d9c1.jpg

Hopefully I can get closer to how the real deal looks using this technique.

To finish off today's update, I filled the six exhausts and two panels on the top of the engine trunking and also opened out the grille over the barrels of the gun....

5118060774243.jpg

511806123c317.jpg

5118062b3b886.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and having a look.

Cheers for now. :piliot:

Here's a peek at what was waiting for me when I got in from work.

511d54a00bd6a.jpg

I was delighted to see that Mr Parkins has modified this set a little. The petal now include the detail at their tip. Something that will save me some work later. :)

Ah, now things become really interesting. I'm eyeballing this set, too, as it seems to be the only option for F-15 burner cans ATM, but they look very intimidating. I'm very interested in you experience with these. :)

Ooohhh... YEAH BABY! Can't wait to see more of these.

Ah, now things become really interesting. I'm eyeballing this set, too, as it seems to be the only option for F-15 burner cans ATM, but they look very intimidating. I'm very interested in you experience with these. :)

Two Mikes has a set of corrected exhausts, not sure how goo they are as I do not have the funds at the moment to get some. I will someday though!

Ooohhh... YEAH BABY! Can't wait to see more of these.

Two Mikes has a set of corrected exhausts, not sure how goo they are as I do not have the funds at the moment to get some. I will someday though!

Isn't the Two Mikes set for the Tamiya kit? I ask, because I'm using the Revell D/E kit (building a DJ).

Hi Peter, hi Frank, thanks for stopping by. I have plenty of time to plan how to tackle these bad boys as I don't expect to start assembling them yet. I'll keep you up to speed when I begin.

Ah, now things become really interesting. I'm eyeballing this set, too, as it seems to be the only option for F-15 burner cans ATM, but they look very intimidating. I'm very interested in you experience with these.

Hi KOTR, yes, I agree that they can look somewhat intimidating initially but have no fear, as soon as you begin assembly it all becomes clear.

This will be the third time that I have constructed this Flightpath set. The first time was completely out of the box:

http://www.arcair.com/Fea1/901-1000/Fea976_F-15_Wilson/02.jpg I was happy with the complex appearance but it is difficult to convey three dimensions with two dimensional parts. Consequently, for the second version I mixed in some plastic.

http://www.arcair.com/Gal8/7601-7700/gal7626-F-15E-Wilson/09.jpg

This time around it will be more of the same but possibly with additional help from Eduard :hmmm:

Isn't the Two Mikes set for the Tamiya kit? I ask, because I'm using the Revell D/E kit (building a DJ).

Yes, I think it is a direct copy of the Tamiya plastic just shortened. The Flightpath parts are also designed to fit the Tamiya kit but can be used with the Revell F-15. Mr. Parkins suggests that the fit on the Tamiya kit is tight whereas it is looser on the Revell model.

HTH

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi MARU, glad you're enjoying the thread so far and thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

Another piece of the jigsaw arrived this morning:

511fd17c77729.jpg

511fd195deb4f.jpg

These are from DACO productions and feature enough serials to build the jet I would like. The only thing that I'll need to replace is the Reapers squadron emblem since this decal sheet features an older style than the one on "my" jet.

Anyone know where I might find some quality waterslide decal paper..... :hmmm:

Cheers.

:piliot:

Edited by geedubelyer

You're making me want to REALLY do another large scale tamiya f-15, this time with the mod eagle scheme...which makes me think, I've got a great mr color mix for the 36251, but does anyone have a mr color mix for the 36176 (the darker grey with the bluish tint)? I know lifecolor makes an almost dead-on match, however, the mr color sprays so well and its also really durable.

Here's a peek at what was waiting for me when I got in from work.

I was delighted to see that Mr Parkins has modified this set a little. The petal now include the detail at their tip. Something that will save me some work later. :)

Where did you buy the flight path set from?