[finished] Carganico's letzte Maus - Bf109G-5/U2 - Hasegawa

Kyrre

[Constructive criticism is very much appreciated]

The San Antonio contest is but 6 days away so there was a bit of urgency in getting the paint on my Bf109 in order to get the decals on (I'm not really a competitive kind of guy, but the contests are what's needed for me to actually finish my kits. I have a philosophy that I am not allowed to criticise the models on the tables unless I participate myself. :) ).

Anyway, I got some Xtracrylic RLM76 sprayed on. It went on rather smoothly it seemed, but where you get a bit of turbulence - wherever there are corners - the pebbles did show up. No worries, some careful sanding will smooth things out.
I've worked a bit on the supercharger-intake, creating that ridge which, to me, seems to vary from aircraft to aircraft. Perhaps this has to do with what factory the plane came from?

I might redo the spinner stripe. I'm not sure what was common, but it seems that the backplate usually did not receive any white stripe paint. Of course I could just remove the stripe bit on the backplate. But I'm not entirely satisfied with the decal I did use.

DSCN1037.jpg
DSCN1038.jpg
DSCN1039.jpg
DSCN1041.jpg
Edited by Kyrre

That decal on the spinner looks pretty good mate! Certainly better than my last attempt in 1/32 (they always seem to go better in 1/48 for me). I generally paint them now in 1/32, but I certainly admire your decal work. Should be perfectly fine after some clear coats.

Kev

Thanks, Kevin.

I might leave the spinner stripe as it is, since there's quite a bit of work involved when trying to get them snuggled down properly. The stripe was cut many times followed by a several generous helpings of Micro Sol in order for all the creases to go away.

'Constructive criticism is very much appreciated'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/atckyrre/modelstuff/My%20models/DSCN1039.jpg

In this picture, you've sanded the horizontal 'panel line' between the cowling top and the cowling side. I don't know the condition on a G-5AS, but if it is similar to a G-10/K-4, then that panel line needs to remain. That missing panel line will tie into the two gun trough panel lines and the line between the super charger and second intake. I don't recall if it ties into the bulge panel line or is atop.

I like your flap deflections. Very cool.

'I'm not entirely satisfied with the decal I did use.'

Sand down the decal retaining its outline, tape over the black, and paint over it. No sense keeping something you don't like. You'll find yourself making excuses for it.

Inner turbo charger, no weld ridge on the inside, just a mating seam. Otherwise paint it RLM02 and don't worry about it.

Nice work.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark!

Thanks for the input, and especially thanks for the heads up on the panel line. I was putting it off because I couldn't find any good pictures showing where the line went and then I forgot it. Prompted by your response I went through my books again and on page 70 in Mushroom's book on the -G I found a picture of the G-10 showing this rather faint line. Actually, the same picture showed the supercharger intake to advantage as well. I need to do some more sanding.

Anybody have any thoughts on red undercarriage on this aircraft? It's an early -AS, it was using C3 and it was using MW50. The I./JG5 had a good number of these "Höhenmaschine", but they also flew regular Bf109G-6's.

If you are using the Mushroom book Bf109 Late Versions, check their G-5AS illustrations on pages 10 & 11 and line drawing on page 12 for panel line configuration. It is unique and different from the G-10/K-4.

Mushroom book illustrates G-5AS as using an exterior GM-1 (MW50?) system.

C3 = Red struts.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I've found some of the drawings in the Mushroom book to be a bit dubious, so I haven't been checking them too closely. I'll take another look at the G-5/AS-drawing, though.

As for the GM-1 system installation it was often converted to MW50 fairly quickly - often in the rebuild-facility. Can't recall where I read it, though.

Kyrre

Hey Kyrre,

A really interesting project here. The picture of Carganico's G-5AS is really interesting. I have loads of Luftwaffe material but I have never seen this particular picture before. Thanks again for sharing it with us. .

As Mark already kindly mentioned The G5AS is a unique breed all it's own. The diagonal panel lines are really paquluar to this version. They come off the upper noce cowl MG troughs and converge diagonally back towards the wind screen. If you happen to have any relevent pictures of major Gunther Specht's G-5 AS, you can just make out these unique diagonal upper nose cowling panel lines. Send me a PM if interested. I'll forward some pictures for you to see what Mark and I are talking about. (If interested)

The build is looking fantastic by the way.

Troy

Hey Troy, thanks for the response!

Thanks for letting me know about those panel lines. Unfortunately they don't show in the Mushroom drawings, so I would be very pleased if you could help me with this. PM inbound

Kyrre

Okay, thanks to troy I have been informed about this rather prominent panel line, which of course I now have to attempt to replicate. Unfortunately I have the early edition of the Mushroom Bf109G-book, which means the drawing of the Bf109G-5/AS isn't correct. I was hoping to get this done tonight so I can get some more paint on. Troy hasn't got access to his book until tomorrow. Does anybody else have a clear drawing showing where that diagonal line ends - and is it a straight one (Like a great circle) or is it curving around the bulbous cowling? Kind of difficult to tell from this gif:

http://www.luftwaffe39-45.historia.nom.br/aero/model_bf109g5as.gif

and this picture of Specht's aircraft, from Falkeeins' blog:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AE69Qnn-Q18/TrwfQwa2kPI/AAAAAAAADsY/-rFuic64weQ/s1600/specht5.jpg

On my first look through Prien/Rodeike's Bf109G bible I couldn't find anything, but on a second glance this line drawing showed up - unfortunately only showing the starboard side.
This makes me guess that the panel line goes all the way, in a straight line, to the centre cowling hinge.

Bf109G6ASrodeike.jpg

Thanks for the info, Mark!

Well, this G-5/U-2 was a little bit different, because the line ended a little bit short of the cowling end :innocent:

I scribed the lines yesterday and was pleased enough with the result. When looking at the picture of Specht's bird it does not seem possible for the lines to end at the cowling end, but I guess the fuselage is deeper than perceived in that picture.
Here's the result:

DSCN1043.jpg
DSCN1044.jpg
I guess to most my pictures just show a primed aircraft ready for camouflage - and it will remain so! I started the decal process last night and while the stencils are fine the crosses needed large amounts of Micro Sol for them to start getting the proper prune appearance (Evident in the pictures below). As I write this it's morning and I still haven't checked how the application went in regards to snuggling down in panellines etc. (This is my way of keeping the days exciting, while until summer I am a third year expat homemaker/student.)
Anyways, the challenge with making a factory painted machine is that you have to do all the stencilling. Who'da thought building a Bf109 was just like building a Phantom? :thumbsup:
As always, I appreciate any feedback. I post this so I can get better and get my models right, even though that makes for more work.
DSCN1045.jpg
DSCN1046.jpg
Edited by Kyrre

Hey Kyrre,

I just sent you all the relavent information regarding the G5-AS panel lines. The diagonal lines should conclude at the rear aft upper cowling. All the way back to the end of the center hinge line. ( A little bit furhter aft than you currently have them now depicted) . Check out the scanned copies I just sent you.

Kind regards,

Troy

Yeah, thanks for the drawings.
As we discussed, I have decided to leave the panel lines as they are now. There are a few discrepancies in the upper nose area anyway, so I think that the most important thing is that the diagonal lines are there - not necessarily that they're entirely accurate.

I'm really happy you guys are helping out here, I've learned a lot about Bf-109G-5/U2's lately. In fact I think I will make a resume for my wife, so I can do a little presentation for her tonight. Or maybe not. :D

Kyrre