FW 190A-8. Finished. Done. Yay!

KOTR

...to slap some paint on. Yay! :frantic: fw19002.jpg Just took me three years or so to get her primered and such. It started out once as a test mule for the 'stressed skin'-effect, didn't came out anything I expected or liked, and thus it went back to the box in frustration. The box went to the stash and was forgotten, until I ran across it, looking for some other parts. Was a bit surprised that I had a FW 190 in my at all, checked and found, another surprise, all parts in one box (I have the nasty habbit of spreading parts in several boxes all over my appartment). So, half a tube of putty and a quarter jar of Mr Surfacer 500 later, I ended up with this: fw19001.jpg You might have noticed that the power egg came undone in the meantime, the usual drama I have to endure, but on second look, that wasn't the worst thing to happen, as I allowed me to conveniently sand the the area between wingroot and cowling smooth (which took quite some Apoxie Sculpt to get rid of the gap). Next update will show some colours. I'll try to depict this plane, W.Nr. 171189, Black '<< + -' (forget about the profile on the page). I'll use Montex Masks for the first time. So, off to the town to get some paint. Dozens of jars in the house, but no RLM 74, 75 and 76... Enjoy! :) Ah, for those interested, an Eduard Big Ed set went into this.

Edited by KOTR

Well, I plan on finishing this one within the next three months (knowing my pace, I don't dare to say 3 weeks ;) )

Back from the hobby shop, dang, it got cold in Terra Teutonica, gotta warm myself up before I'm going to mix some paint. And I got some material to move on with the Ki-27 'Nate', too :)

Wings and elevators done. Yay!

fw19004.jpg

Usually, you work from the lightest to the darkest colour, but I decided to do the wings first and then mask off the wing and wing root. My hope us that this approach is easier than masking the whole fuselage sides and do the wings afterwards.

fw19003.jpg

A few small repairs tomorrow, but otherwise the result of 3 hours of spraying looks fine to me. Colours look a bit off here, due to lighting, and the photography doesn't even closely represent the subtle shadings I was trying to achieve. Home mixed Tamiya paints for RLM74 and 75 used here.

Enjoy :)

Thanks Kevin. I usually really enjoy the painting, even more so with my new compressor. The part I really hate is the preparation thingy. Fill, sand, engrave, prime, start over again. Lenghty, boring, no joy at all...

Anyways, base colours done:

fw19005.jpg

fw19006.jpg

fw19007.jpg

fw19008.jpg

Cool beans, eh? ;) Did the flaps while at it, but missed the black panels behind the exhaust. Dang! Will be done tomorrow, when I start with the markings.

Any tutorials, leads, recommendations, warnings regarding the use of Montex masks I should be aware of, before I hurl myself into it? Thanks in advance! :)

Time to move over to the bed. Good night, everyone! :)

Man I would say that's a bit more then a "good save" after being in a box 3 years! I love the paint, and I think your paint mix's are great looking! I wish you the best of luck with the Montex mask's, I'm sure they will work out great for you, I for one cant wait to see your progress!

All the best,

Paul

Man I would say that's a bit more then a "good save" after being in a box 3 years! I love the paint, and I think your paint mix's are great looking! I wish you the best of luck with the Montex mask's, I'm sure they will work out great for you, I for one cant wait to see your progress!

All the best,

Paul

Thank you, Paul. I'll have a first stab after lunch. :)

Very cool. The starboard rear fuselage looks to have the 'stressed skin' look to me.

Brad

Yeah, there are still some remains of my failed attempt visible, I didn't take into account that putty has the tendency to shrink quite a bit. Ah well, now its the right amount, one could say... ;)

Did a quick trial and sprayed the Werknummern before I have to put my attention towards the dinner, and all I can say is wow! I mean... wow! I'm really impressed impressed with the result:

fw19009.jpg

Very sharp and precise. I love it. A bit of an ordeal to separate the cut out numbers from the actual mask, but that should be easier with the larger masks. That looks like a lot of fun. Oh dear, I can't wait for dinner to be ready... :frantic:

Keep 'em coming

Here ya go: :)

fw19010.jpg

...and the other side: :)

fw19011.jpg

I'm very pleased with the results. So far, I like working with these masks. Just aligning them properly is a bit cumbersome.

Enough for today. Tomorrow, I'll go after the tactical markings and wing insignias.

Enjoy! :)