Revell He-219 Upgrades

Uncarina

I've also got the Combat Models vac with resin detail set. Not sure whether to use it or sell it and build the Revell one. :(

I've got the I.D. Models one, and plan to build it. With the introduction of 2 new IM kits, there should be plenty of AM parts about to help out. I'd like to get the Revell kit at some stage too.

Kev

Be afraid! Be very afraid of the Combat kit. I built this shortly after it was initially released-since has gone the way of the DoDo. The wing chord and nacelle structure were very troublesome to get correct as I recall. The fuselage wasn't too bad. I suppose you could buy AM parts to help, but the Revell kit is a much better starting point-even with the "problems".

OWL is also putting out a set of radar antennae for the He 219. This was posted to their facebook page a few days ago. Looks to have both sets of nose radar to possible do Modrow's He 219A-0/R6 and also the tail antennae. It was noted in Facebook post that this set is available in February sometime.

555167_492095254167630_1882667664_n_zpsb

Nicholas

Edited by Nicholas R Larson

I guess after RoGs last few kits being so spot -on, I'm really surprised that the wing/nacelle/U/C bay is so seemingly .....wrong. The various ports, and wee doors being wrong is sloppy,poor QC in my book. The rest speaks of an engineerring issue, maybe a cost thing, but after seeing Nigels work to correct the base kit I'm not sure if I'd plonk down money for the kit. The He-162 thru He-111 were such stellar kits; I wonder what happened?

I wondered why did they choose this subject at this time ?
Revell has proven their ability to crank out an acceptably
accurate kit. They know about the a/c at UdHaz but apparently
chose not to invest in the time/resources to use it.
I think they chose not to go nuts on the cockpit knowing that
people who care about such things will 'always' go AM anyway.
I figure they found out it would sell and decided to pop it asap
(maybe they heard about ZM) and grab a good share of the
market. They 'can' do better but for some reason chose not to.
Not saying it's sub standard (I have one) just saying.
It looks OK to me built up.

As far as I'm aware Revell did examine the example in the US (happy to be proven wrong though). But as we all know, the wings are not attached, so there was nothing to measure or examine in that regard - especially concerning the relationship of the engine nacelles to the thrust line (and related issues). They've obviously had to rely on photographs and drawings for the non-fuselage areas, and didn't quite get there. To my eyes though, the Revell kit is acceptably accurate for a good-looking OOB build.

Kev

I guess after RoGs last few kits being so spot -on, I'm really surprised that the wing/nacelle/U/C bay is so seemingly .....wrong. The various ports, and wee doors being wrong is sloppy,poor QC in my book. The rest speaks of an engineerring issue, maybe a cost thing, but after seeing Nigels work to correct the base kit I'm not sure if I'd plonk down money for the kit. The He-162 thru He-111 were such stellar kits; I wonder what happened?

Maybe just rush the development because you've heard another manufacturer is coming out with the same kit, in the same scale, and in the same target time frame ? This would not be the first story of "Be in the market first, and cut corners if need be ..." :hmmm:

In todays' world, with chinese mold-cutting capabilities, the most time on a project is R&D, not cutting steel blocks or pushing styrene in them ...

Hubert

The mold cutting is going to be to what ever spec is laid out by the customer. WNW has the best, most precise fit on the market, and RoG wouls as well, if they were determined to. While I see the fuse at the UdHaz is just that, I wonder if there are wings? My over-riding sentiment is that the issues with the kit might have been avoided.

Are a set of resin plugs viable to correct the wing/nacelle issue?