Aurora Marauder ...not quite LSP

RacerDave

I call this my "Build like you used to challenge" Take out all of the research, complexity, scratch building, body filler, everything that has slowed down and killed projects in the past. Build this model like I did when I was a kid, put it together, paint it up nice, and hang it from the ceiling where its hard to see the defects! I felt this kit would be perfect for such a build. Yesterday morning I realized that I had three days straight to work on models so I dug this out and got started, by bedtime I had half the painting done and the airframe glued and drying. Today I finished the painting, added the details and clear bits. The decals were junk so everything is hand painted. Luckily Aurora had the forethought to mold in the markings! It took a total of 8hrs to build this model! Tomorrow morning I'll add the navigator's astrodome and it will be 100% finished. It looks great hanging from the ceiling, I really wish I did more models like this one, and so I shall! Hobbies are supposed to be fun right? I had a blast building this model and I fully intend to do several more like this!

100_2340_zps90be44e7.jpg

100_2345_zpsa9bc9b73.jpg

100_2343_zpse1952b1e.jpg

100_2344_zps6cdd95c0.jpg

Turning to intercept that suspicious looking connie!

100_2348_zps39a4340f.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Dave

Terrific idea and the Marauder looks great. A blast form the past.

But why just look to make them ceiling queens?

I personally feel we need more straight or nearly straight from the box builds and proudly display them along with all our other creations. Why do we feel, every kit has to be cut up, researched to the last rivet and turned into a mega project. How about just building any kit, new or old, straight from the box; maybe with some new decals and just enjoy the build? Sure sounds good to me. Maybe that's part of the WNW appeal .... New, different but basically we're just following the instructions and having a ball.

Peter

Nice to see one of these old kits built. I'm a firm believer in the idea that every kit should be built (or die in the attempt). Great job!

Kev

Agreed. I once bought a "rare" Aurora XB-70, with the red sky box art- The guy behind the counter almost fainted when I brought it in, finished, about 2 weeks later.... Apparently you're not suppose to build them at some point!!!

Edited by Lee White

Peter, this one was chosen to be a ceiling queen mostly on its own merits ...the landing gear doors were already closed! (how often do you get that anymore?) I have the landing gear finished and ready to install but while talking to a friend he pointed out that the doors are already closed and it would look great on the ceiling, so thats what I did! Dont worry, I have PLENTY more kits to be done OOB with gear down and sitting proudly on my shelf. To be honest, I think most of my builds from now on will be OOB. They always seem much more fun. I have missed the fun in modelling the last few years and I desperately want it back!

Kev, I certainly tried! Luckily not much dying took place ...its actually a really nice kit! Some mega-scratch-builder could go nuts on this model ...if they wanted to! lol

Dave,

EXCELLENT build..

WOW!! You did a fantastic job on a beautifully classic Warbird.

Here just for your enjoyment..

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/B-26.html

If you click on the link under the video , MORE NEAT B-26 stuff, You will get to see cockpit pics etcetc..

Awesome! I want one!! Who wants to go flying?

Thanks for the link, now I want to build another one! lol