The impossible camo: F/A-18 in digital scheme

locuaz

Ok...I want the stuff u are on :):):)

No kidding this is the most awsome Hornet i have ever seen.How much time did it take You to paint this crazy scheme....

Once again just :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

Dejan

locuaz... aptly named after seeing this! Beautifully done! and not just the digital camo.. everything from the cockpit to the wheel wells is wonderfully executed. a couple of questions.. did you use any aftermarket, and if so, what? and most importantly, did you have masks cut for the digital camo, or did you do it old school with pieces of tape? My bet is that you taped it off.. :wicked: This is one of the nicest paint jobs i've seen in a very long time. Do you have a build log or WIP of this? I'd love to see more. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Jerry

Hey folks!

Thank you all for the comments. I'm glad you liked it!!!

The making of the model dates back some 5 years ago when I first got the idea. After doing all the investigation and producing the drawings I did a first try with a Fujimi 1/72 (yes, I know you guys don't like 72s...) prior to going for the Behemoth. After that I had to take some vacations, modelistically speaking, as everything I saw was "pixelated"....

Here's a picture of Big Brother-Little Brother:

DSCF40842_zps35d2ff43.jpg

Cheers!

Alfonso

a.k.a. "Locuaz" (the craziest)

locuaz... aptly named after seeing this! Beautifully done! and not just the digital camo.. everything from the cockpit to the wheel wells is wonderfully executed. a couple of questions.. did you use any aftermarket, and if so, what? and most importantly, did you have masks cut for the digital camo, or did you do it old school with pieces of tape? My bet is that you taped it off.. This is one of the nicest paint jobs i've seen in a very long time. Do you have a build log or WIP of this? I'd love to see more. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

Trying to answer your questions, I used a resin cabin which actually was from Black Box, not Aires as I previously mentioned, and a set of photo etched details from Eduard. I added some bits of detail here and there, mainly knobs in the cockpit and brake lines for the landing gear, but no more than that.

As for the painting of the camo, oh yes....those were painfully hand-made with tape masks out of my original drawings, one layer of color at a time. I have some pictures of the process though not as good quality as the finished model but didn't have the dedication enough to upload them...sorry for that..., here's some:

The tube ready for it's new home!

DSCF0838_zps2c1a0a59.jpg

Fuselage after second (or third...don't recall) layer of masking tape:

DSCF2622_zpsf954714d.jpg

Removing the mess of masking tape layers, lots of fun indeed!! It took me like a whole day...

DSCF2704_zps476d07dc.jpg

First impression of the Behemoth!!

The result was too contrasting so I had to blend and tone down a bit...

DSCF2718_zps12e1efb2.jpg

Home-made decals with my ink-jet printer, had to apply two of each as they were too transparent...the others were for a side project (don't ask, he he):

DSCF2768_zpsb82e45ed.jpg

I like combat jets to look like they had indeed seen some action!!! Here I'm whethering the paint job:

DSCF2797_zps3f8a3b8b.jpg

Landing gears here, not much really, only lots of dirt, later on I'd add some brake lines:

DSCF2879_zps4465f692.jpg

Weapons....lots of weapons....

The thermal protection was made with some sand from Cancun Beach (though you can give it a try also with your local beach sand!!!):

DSCF2895_zpsc64762e9.jpg

DSCF2901_zpse879d5f9.jpg

DSCF2914_zpscaad8056.jpg

Overall that was pretty much the process...Next time I'll be more pro-active and upload the whole WIP!!!

Alfonso

Ditto (God I forget that many peeps just don't know what a ditto is these days....kinda dates ya if you do know). They'd have to put me in the Looney Bin for awhile if I attempted a paint scheme like that...Hat's off to you on a fantastic paint job on an equally fantastic model!