Revell He-219 Uhu Corrections thread

Guest Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

Hello all,

I thought I'd start a new thread to try and cover my way of correcting the errors with the Revell He 219 kit..... Iain has a great thread running on the same kit which has become a great reference on the real aircraft and comparisons between the ZM and Revell kits. Things have become a little heated on there at times, I hope that doesn't happen here.... the thread will be removed. I want to take the time and swallow the cost of doing this without it becoming the basis of argumentative and aggressive discussion. Debate away, but please no aggressive talk.

This thread will not compare the ZM and Revell kits, or praise or degrade either manufacturer. I would like modellers to identify errors they've spotted with the kit, and suggest ways of correcting said errors. perhaps someone could list the known errors, then I'll know what to look at. I'm prepared to experiment with the two kits I have, within reason and would obviously like to cut up only one and use the other for comparative purposes in the following photo's.

I will use references from the internet, including drawings and photographs and the great reference book, "The Heinkel He 219 Uhu" by Richard A Franks. It's Airframe Album title no 1. I also have the Tamiya kit, unbuilt. I am of the opinion that the Tamiya Uhu "looks" right, with a few small errors.

So here we go....

The first issue I noticed was the position and orientation of the Oil and Fuel fillers in the top of the nacelles. They are moulded the wrong way round and in the wrong position. imagine the Uhu flying along happily with a loose cover, it would blow open the way it's been portrayed here!!!

WingErrors_zpsc8b43b7c.jpg

Iain pointed out the position of the fuel filler in his thread... well spotted Iain.

Here's what I've done to correct this...

I've cut out a rectangular section of the panel around the filler caps. the before and after can be seen here.

WingMods_zps32450ed8.jpg

Then, after making up some shims and spacers the covers can be relocated in their correct orientation and position.

WingMods2_zps9e4a7e99.jpg

I won't glue these panels in place as yet because the top surface of the nacelle needs to be more curved. The panels can be fitted once the nacelles have been corrected, then the complcated filler cap form will not need to be scribed.

Next, we will look at how I'm going to make a start on the nacelle corrections.

Edited by Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

So, what about these pesky nacelles.... they really bother me as there are so many opinions on what is actually wrong with them. All I know for sure is the trailing edge of the wing is too far up the nacelle.

This picture was posted in Iains thread, which shows the rear of the nacelle with the pointy end removed. It's actually the starboard wing so I've had to flip it to use it as a pattern for the port wing.

wow0001295_zps645c339a.jpg

Following some resizing of the picture, I managed to make it proportionally correct with the kit and make a template. Here we can see the template resting on top of the nacelle, using the upper wing surface as a reference point.

Papertemplateonnacelle_zps2887887e.jpg

We can clearly see the wing on the kit is too high.

I've glued the nacelle together and fitted it to the wing, gluing only the rear sections. Then I've cut off the pointy end to match the photo.

Nacellemods2_zps557dae5e.jpg

It's very difficult to photograph, but I'll try and show you all just what I'm getting at here.....

Nacellemods1_zps2e4c7ba1.jpg

Nacellemods_zpsbff26c2e.jpg

We can see the top is too flat on the kit and the wing is too high. Cutting the pointy end off will make the correction so much easier I believe??

Watch this space for more updates, they may be slow as I'm stuck into my Ta 152 build.

Guest Nigelr32

I'm hooked! Thanks for your initiative and creativity in doing this. I have the Revell kit and will be paying close attention.

Cheers,

Tom

I'm glad you feel that way Tom, thankyou for your support.

Just a little note... remember the paper template on the Revell wing? here it is in 1/48 scale on the Tamiya wing... :hmmm:

TamiyaNacelle_zpse430e5ce.jpg

I know, I know, you're thinking, so what, it's a different kit from a different manufacturer in a different scale. As I said earlier, it "looks" right!!

Back to the Revell kit... I made this bulkhead and superglued it in place so it's easy to snap off at a later date. I figure it's required as the nacelle will become very floppy when I cut it up?

Nacellemods3_zpsdf883ff0.jpg

Now, here's an interesting fact... remember in Iains thread I thought the undercarriage bay was probably wrong as the roof of the bay would more than likely be the wing skin? well, look at this...

IMG_7836_zpsbe5d607d.jpg

The average difference between the two surfaces is 3mm, which is just how much the difference is in the height of the trailing edge according to my templates, so the bay is correct, to the bottom of the nacelle and U/C doors, but because they got the nacelle wrong, there is a "false" roof in the bay, just as I suspected. looking at the pictures in my book, it does look like heinkel added a covering panel toward the rear wing section, but it's nothing like the one shown here!!

When I move the wing down 3mm in the nacelle, the roof will become the wings bottom face.

Another error....

tamiyaRevellwingcomparison_zpsb3a10ef2.jpg

Notice the fairings on the Tamiya kit covering the corner of the flaps, It's missed on the Revell kit, but is apparent in every picture of this area, Funnily enough, it doesn't appear in some drawings.... :deadhorse:

Edited by Nigelr32

This is one of the most clear, concise and well thought out explanations of a correction that I have ever seen. I would love to know your training as I see evidence of solid geometry,engineering and comm. art displayed here. Not to mention bravery for plowing right in and making substancial cuts in a very expensive kit. You are my kind of modeler dude!

J

Guest Nigelr32

This is one of the most clear, concise and well thought out explanations of a correction that I have ever seen. I would love to know your training as I see evidence of solid geometry,engineering and comm. art displayed here. Not to mention bravery for plowing right in and making substancial cuts in a very expensive kit. You are my kind of modeler dude!

J

Wow, thankyou Jerry, coming from you, that is a compliment I will accept!! Pont one, I am a time served engineer, ex rolls Royce Areospace. I don't know where the comms bit came from? Points two and three, I am a fool with too much money I guess???

I love cutting kits up Jerry

So, moving on, this is all happening in real time... I need opinions already......

We all know that the whole nacelle needs to be lifted around the wing, and probably pivoted to get the correct thrust line. So, the cuts need to be made with this in mind....

Nacellemods4_zpsb319cf60.jpg

I'm imagining the location peg of the nacelle is my pivot point, this will keep the angle of attack correct at the trailing edge. Remember, if we lift the nacelle around the wing, their relative angles will increase.

Just for the newbies... I use Dymo tape as a guide when scribing or cutting. It gives a good solid edge to work against and stops damge from a stray blade or pin.

We can see I'm going to remove 3mm of material, according to the drafted lines added earlier, and drop the trailing edge down.

Nacellemods5_zpse2efa0f9.jpg

Here it is offered up to the wing and fuselage.. what do you think? i think i may have gone a little too far??

Nacellemods7_zps8997e1d8.jpg

I've tried to capture a similar angle to Iain's pics earlier on in his thread in this picture.

Nacellemods6_zps228dfa63.jpg

Following this picture taking session, I've noticed the pointy end is drooping!! Sorry!!

Guest Nigelr32

I think the flaps trailing edge should be just above the middle of the nacelle. This looks good to me, if you mount it not drooping :)

Thanks for your re-assurance. I decided to add a slither of 0.010" plastic card just to satisfy my opinion that I went too mad with the cutting.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.....

I had to make a 1mm thick packing piece to go on the top of the nacelle to make it taller..

Nacellemods8_zps81542885.jpg

Then this needed to be radiused to make the curvature over the top more rounded...

Nacellemods9_zps2afcf1bb.jpg

You'll also notice the wing trailing edges have been added.

Now, this is starting to look a lot better....

Nacellemods10_zps529b448f.jpg

I think so anyway??? here's a different angle...

Nacellemods11_zps0d443644.jpg

Now, how am I going to keep the wing in shape while I rip it to pieces around the nacelle??

Edited by Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

Thanks Peter and Kev, yes I've started another one!!!! I've held off since October when I bought the kit, so I've done OK I think??

I've corrected the lower nacelle now, so here's how I did it. I needed to remove the same amount of material from the rear of this part to line up with the pointy end piece.

Once again, marked out with draughted lines to see where I'll cut.

Nacellemods12_zpse0f4fbdb.jpg

Following the slicing operation, this is what I'm left with...

Nacellemods13_zps85ed64a9.jpg

Then glued back together.... careful with the alignment here....

Nacellemods14_zps572577d3.jpg

Just the top to do now, which will be the hardest part I think??

Now where's Iain.... he was the one who spotted the sloping thrust line in relation to the fuselage, well, here you are Iain....

Nacellemods15_zps050dbe6d.jpg

Time for a beer I think??

Edited by Nigelr32

Good grief ! Are you sure it wasn't micro engineering at Roll Royce Aerospace??

I have to say, your explanations coupled with the annotated pictures are making this whole topic so much clearer for me. I'm now intrigued as to how much difference there will be in the end from Revell's kit as released - lots I should imagine.

Am looking forward to more Nigel - cracking stuff.

Grant