1/32 Tamiya Spitfire IX

DonH

Hello again and thanks for the positive comments. It's nice that people appreciate my work.

Onward to the main landing gear. All white bits are the extras to the kit parts. They are mostly bolt heads but the triangular shaped piece is part of the locking mechanism. The gap in the middle of the triangle has been filled with white glue to simulate a web in the casting. I trust it will look OK when painted! Some copper wire also for some detail. Note the two rows of bolt heads about halfway up the leg. These actually sit in some splines in the the moving part of the Oleo to prevent the leg from twisting. The bolt heads are wire-locked together in the 1:1 version and I have replicated this with a piece of hair (not mine, I don't have enough to spare). Hope you can spot it despite the poor picture quality. I filed some channels in the end of the fixed leg to simulate the castellated nut on the real part.

IMG_9977.jpg

IMG_9978.jpg

IMG_9975.jpg

Legs001.jpg

Legs002.jpg

Legs004.jpg

Next time I will post images of the painted legs and the wheels from Barracudacast which, as usual, are things of beauty!

Cheers

Don

Well here I am again with a couple of shots of the painted landing gear. The wheels are from Barracudacast and I can thoroughly recommend them.

IMG_4453_zpsaa00b896.jpg

IMG_4454_zpsced1a7c4.jpg

The shiny moving bit of the leg is done with metal foil.

Next time, I will move on to the engine, but here is a teaser shot...

IMG_0085.jpg

The pale yellow blob is a resin part from Barracudacast. Any guesses as to what it represents and also what it was originally? No prizes for correct guesses!

Cheers

Don

Moving on to the Merlin....

I couldn't just put the kit parts together, my engineering brain was saying "super-detail" and my resistance crumbled. So, armed with drawings and manuals I set about adding bits of wire, piping and other miscellaneous bits.

To be clear, the kit engine is a Merlin 66 fitted to LF MkIX aircraft. You can tell by looking at the carburettor. I will leave you to decide if that really matters or not.

Last time, I left you with this....

IMG_0085.jpg

I have added the first of the oil pipes and the yellow blob of resin represents the supercharger gear change mechanism which is completely missing from the kit. I used the hydraulic pump supplied in the Barracudacast engine upgrade set. More on that later.

More pictures of the early build, with basic piping added:

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

You will notice the rocker covers with the Rolls Royce plates on them. As you probably know, the kit parts do not have the R-R logos and so I bought a new set of rocker covers from Barracudacast. These are absolutely beautiful and very well made but I just couldn't get them to fit. So, I cut off the R-R name plates, sanded them to thickness and stuck them on the kit rocker covers. Believe me, that took a lot longer than it took my to type this, even with two finger typing!!!

Ignition cables need to be scratched. Drilling small holes in small diameter plastic tube can lead to some innovative language!

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

These are not to the same standard as I have seen from Wolff and others but I told myself they would not be seen much once they were in place.

Copper wire was used to create the piping for the manifold drain and priming pipes.

IMG_0077.jpg

Starting to look busy!

IMG_0285.jpg

That's all for this update. Much more piping, linkages and control rods to come!!

Cheers

Don