F-4EJ JASDF Experts

Smokey

I have several questions and hope there is some F-4 experts in here. A couple days ago I was able to get my hands on a Zotz Decal set 32023 which has some colorful decals for JASDF pre 50th. anniversary KAI markings with the three resin pieces. My next step was to track down a 1/32 Tamiya #60314 kit and would like to thank fellow LSP Barry for it.

My question is what does a person use for a cockpit for this aircraft? Do you go with Aires F-4J/S or with Avionix/Blackbox E or J cockpit along with the Wolfpack conversion set. I also remember reading some where that the seats in some of them were not correct ones. Is there a correct seat for a JASDF F-4?

I was also thinking of maybe picking up Wolfpack Design sets

32040 conversion set

32042 LAU-3/A AAM Launcher set

32041 AAM-3 missle set

32024 Hard wing flap down set

I know by doing some research on the internet that they aquired them in 1971 and they had no leading edge slats on the wings and in 1984 they went thru a improvement program KIA which the Wolfpack design set would allow me to do upgraded aircraft.

Is there any problems or anything else I would need to know in order to do a correct F-4EJ bird? I was thinking of maybe needing some Eduard sets, maybe a flight path tail pipe set along with getting a set of exhaust cans which I think I need the long ones from the person on ebay that does the correct diameter ones. Thanks for any help. Dan

The -EJs were just -Es license built in Japan. Originally they were configured for air to air only, but later were given some air to ground capability. Unlike US F-4Es, they were never fitted with slats. You'll need an -E cockpit. According to the Wolfpack site, the 32040 set already includes AAM-3s, so unless you want extras, you won't need 32041. HTH.

The EJ has two versions the base EJ and the later modified Kai.

If your doing the Zotz aircraft it's a Kai and several things changed other than the tail pods and wing tips.

Cockpit was changed away from the E with a new coaming lightning conductors on the radome plus lots of others.

Highly recommend the Modelart profile book with stacks of information and best single source for JASDF Phantoms.

Wolfpack I think still do a 32nd Kai conversion.

Grab it as it has everything and combined with a Black box set modified by WP bits you are set.

Thanks Dave on the info. If the wolfpack conversion set comes with missles already won't need extra's laying around. Darren thanks for the help. I have not seen the Modelart profile book. Is it still available or is it out of print? Didn't see it when I was looking around the internet over the weekend at hobby stores. Dan

Agree both of those books are superb.

Defenders of Nippon has hundreds of side profiles with hundreds of very cool schemes.

The Modelart book simply superb best F-4EJ book ever..

Most western profile books omit the numerous small changes in JASDF aircraft but these Model art books focus only on Japanese subtypes.

If you like JASDF's hundreds of great paint schemes get the lot they are indispensable and have all you will need for a world of awesomely painted modern aircraft!