1:32 Revell He111P, 2./KG54

Ralph Riese

Nige: some pics of the rivet business...

12AS.jpg

Outboard underwing part almost done. Simple tools include a steel straight-edge ruler for the ling lines; a small piece of flexible carpenter's steel retractable measureing tape for the gently curving lines; pin vice with beading tool; old disecting needle; and a scale ruler. Missing from the pic is a small set of dividers that are used to mark the start and end points of the span-wise lines; and some small pieces of styrofoam that are used as supports to help reduce the flexing when the rivet wheel iis rolled firmly over the plastic. If the plasti cflexes while marking a line, the line can "curve" away from an adjacent panel line.

13AS.jpg

The 0.75mm wheel has now been used for five 32nd scale projects and the teeth are starting to lose their sharpness.

14AS.jpg

The Kagero plans are for an H-6, and the kit P-1 engraving is not consistent with the plans. As such, the extra detail is by no means accurate. Apologies to those who love the He111.

15AS.jpg

The grey shadows show where some of the kit engraving was filled with Mr Surfacer 500 before other detail was added.

The flexibility of the plastic will make adding detail to the fuselage halves fun. Cheers, Ralph.

Guest Nigelr32

Ralph, I don't get it, i have the Kagero book, but none of the plans show rivet detail??

Which book are you using? I have Vol1. Kagero No 03.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year all - hope you survived the fireworks and have some fun modelling in store for 2013. A bit of colour on some interior bits...

1AS-7.jpg

2AS-8.jpg

Selected bits from Eduard's "He111P-1 interior S.A." (item 33 092), and "He111 seatbelts" (item 32 708) sets added to the cockpit .

3AS-7.jpg

4AS-6.jpg

"RLM66" interior was painted using Tamiya's XF-24 Dark Grey and post-shaded with XF-54 Dark Sea Grey. Selected surfaces were repainted with Vallejo's 70995 German Grey, and edges highlighted with 70990 Light Grey.

5AS-5.jpg

Eduard's PE. What a way to start 2013. Four hours later... "Patience Grasshopper..." I gave in early so the 8 small levers on the port-side consol didn't make it. Wasn't sure about the shoulder harnesses for the (?) co-pilot, so left them off too.

6AS-5.jpg

A light misting of Testors Dullcote lacquer took care of the sheen on the Eduard parts.

7AS-3.jpg

Bogus rivets added to the kit undercarriage bays and doors.

8AS-2.jpg

"RLM02" interior was painted using a 50:50 mix of XF-22 RLM Grey and Gunze Sangyo H70 RLM02, and post-shaded with a 50:50 mix of H70 and XF-2 Flat White. Raised detail was painted with a 50:50 mix of Vallejo 70886 Green Grey and 70918 Ivory. A white spirit-based wash of MIG Abt015 Shadow Brown appled to add some contrast.

Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

Wonderful work Ralph, just love your artist's eye when it comes to interpreting colour application and execution.

New Year is still a few hours away here in this part of the world but I wish you all the best for 2013!

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Peterpools

Ralph

What a stellar start on the 111. What a treat to ride along as the AM details go on to so greatly enhance the model. Thanks for the RB Rivet tool 'how to'. I've had mine for so long and never used it. Time to start looking at where it is needed and put that bad boy to work.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thanks for your time and interest Gentlemen - much appreciated. This is proving to be a rather slow build. I'm finding that a lot of time is required to clean up parts - just to get them to fit neatly. I'm also finding a number of perplexing "moments" - so much so that I'm beginning to wonder whether the fellow I'm building this for somehow got a dodgy kit. Afew quick examples that I've not seen mentioned in any of the build articles I've seen to date...

1AS-8.jpg

Instructions show the bulkhead location, but hey - no sign of it on the part...

2AS-9.jpg

Kit undercarriage parts - one has the requisite locating sections for installation - the other has - stumps???

3AS-8.jpg

Perhaps this shows it better...

4AS-7.jpg

At the other end, the locating section mating surfaces are 180 degrees out - not the best pic as I'm at the limit of my camera resolution...

No doubt there willl be more surprises to come! Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

Guest Peterpools

Ralph

Revell parts sometime are a bit challenging, as miss-molding seem to creep in. I've heard the same with some parts on the Hawk kit. Very interested in how you plan on tackling the gear part in question.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Ralph, I have loved your work since I first came across it on Hyperscale, both construction and painting. In fact, the Bf110 I am working on right now is totally because of your outstanding effort of a couple years ago. I,ve been referencing your build log quite a bit while working on mine. Really looking forward to see what you do with this one. Thanks for sharing your very inspiring work.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a resounding "that just goes to show that you can't build models for sh#!" call my local door gunner modelling friends, here's the evidence that proves them right...

2S-52_zps14269800.jpg

3S-52_zpsaaf37b7a.jpg

4S-53_zps77f161cc.jpg

5S-52_zpsf468d84d.jpg

6S-47_zpse63a7d86.jpg

7S-34_zps96f534a7.jpg

As I've not seen anything but "great fit... no filler needed... pure modelling joy... " reports, I take all responsibility for the mess I've managed to make - and accept the door gunners' call. I hear the basket weavers calling...