Vacform IL-76VKP/82 - Update page 5.

Radders

Hi people, another update.

Was sat at work today sanding like you wouldn't believe, got home to find this which I was very happy with! Just a bit more filler needed on the left hand of the photo then I can start to ream out the centre and work on the final shape.

8350676505_e644e9a3b4_c.jpg

Vacform IL-76 - IL-82 conversion by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

Kit part on the left, my modded part on the right. Massive improvement in my eyes, hopefully look alot better once the centre is out.

8350676043_a6732b56e1_c.jpg

8350675459_5c7246127d_c.jpg

Engine hollowed out now, just put on some more FEW filler to correct the circular shape and it's nearly there. (photos are coming out better now with the backing and natural light, Just a shame I take most of my photos at night time with the wrong light!)

8352980203_5fd0196191_z.jpg

Can finally move onto the next stage of the engine! All the front shaping is done and i'm 110% happy with the result. Some tiny pin holes but they can be sorted very last thing.

The black lines you see are completley wrong, I've highlighted them for that reason to show before / after

8354585118_6f9b0aa118_z.jpg

8353522591_50495a7a5f_z.jpg

Good luck with your resin casting mate! I've had a go at it, but started with a part that was too complicated for a beginning piece and ended up not having much luck (though I learned a lot!). There are plenty of guys on here who can offer you advice though, so don't be afraid to ask!

Kev

• 5 months later...

Just posting some better photos, although I haven't done much for a while, i'm getting back on this and the Hudson while I can! :)

Birds eye view of the top. You can see the amount of car body filler I have had to use. I am using Bonds FEW for this build as I happened to have a big tub of it laying around, which was lucky. It's going to take some work to get it to how I want.. especially with the external detail, vents etc!

2088746_orig.jpg

Underside view, you can see the difference in sponsors here. The one on the left (starboard side) is nearly done, but the port side is just a large piece of Milliput, I built this up in sections then sanded it back down to profile. The same goes for the rear end of the sponsor, although in this photo I only have the port side attached, awaiting work.

1036342_orig.jpg

Car body filler mishap, for some reason and no matter how much prep, this section of the fuselage won't take the FEW, so I will have to get off all the old FEW and try one more time. A number of things could of caused this, dust, greasy surface, filler not mixed properly etc..and as I will never know, I will try again.

8275086_orig.jpg

Front sponsor close up, showing you the template I made. I cut a slot into the fuselage, then slid in the template fixing it in with EMA plastic weld. This gave me the basic shape I was after, I then put Milliput on either side in two large lumps, roughly shaping it with a wet finger. Once cured I set about rubbing down the Milliput with 80 grit paper, slowly my template showed through which then made me start the shaping process. I think it's turned out quite well. I then smoothed in the Milliput in with some FEW.

7858001_orig.jpg

Undercarriage section, these two were put on with copious amounts of glue as they were bowed slightly, pegged in place and left for a good few hours, I took the pegs off and they stayed in place. Still work to be done in the photo to the left, I need to pay attention to the join areas, as one part is to round, which is wrong on the real thing.

2070148_orig.jpg

Port side view showing the whole fuselage.

9131488_orig.jpg

Starboard side view showing the whole fuselage.

8637966_orig.jpg