Vacform IL-76VKP/82 - Update page 5.

Radders

Radders,

If it isn't too late, pop the milliput out from inside the fuselage, and sand it down to give the plastic a rough surface texture- The plastic looks to be rather shiny, and every time I've used milliput, or apoxie (my personal favorite) on glossy plastic, it has popped off, perhaps because the plastic doesn't have enough "bite". HTH,

Hi Lee, I've left the plastic 'shiney' just until the Milliput sets (didn't want to sand them first just incase it made it harder to take the Milliput off - I used this to get a shape for some smaller bulk sections in the sponsers), then I popped it off, sand surfaces and glued it on :) Cheers though!

Hi mate,

This looks great and you're making cracking progress. The internal bulkhead idea looks to be working well and will no doubt provide much needed strength.

One tip if I may... you've inserted the small tabs where the fuselage halves will join, but in my experience you may need more as being more flexible than an injection kit, they are prone to splitting along the joins if they are not reinforced enough, especially when it comes to scribing etc.

Also, what are the main spars like? Any provided with the kit? I'd strongly suggest getting a spar sorted before joining the fuselage halves as this could be more tricky once joined.

It's great to see another man converted to the dark side; I'll be watching with great interest!

Tom

Cheers Tom, regarding the tabs, I can add more so will do tomorrow/Tuesday :) The wing spar though, none supplied with kit!.. but I got an idea, hopefully it'll work! ;) Done some drawing and looked at what materials I have and I think it's doable!

Definate convert too, there shall be more vacs coming from me in the future!

Cheers all,

Edited by Radders

I've just been pondering and mulling over your earlier picture of the nose. I have to ask - how on Earth are you going to tackle the transparencies on this beauty?

Are there any provided in the kit? I have it somewhere but can't remember if it comes with clear parts or not... I'm watching with considerable interest as I'd like to have a go at it myself one day :hmmm:

Looking forward to the next installment...

Tom

Good question Tom, this is the reason why I've chose to do the VKP version -

Very little glass on the front of it, I'm going to go down the route you went with the B-29 (luckily only 5/6 pieces depending how I do it.). Once the fuselage is together I'm cutting the nose off in sections to do this. The lower section of glass i'm going to re-shape/scribe as it's not right, looking at the bottom pic out the two below it's quite flat on one surface (round on the model). So I've got my work cut out tbh! :D

038948.jpg

079253.jpg

Oh, and there are clear parts provided but they look no good tbh (to round, will get a photo).. It says to sand away the bulges and add the clear from behind, but I can't see how that would work and look good!

Nice video Lee,

Regarding the wheel bays, I've cut them out along the kit lines, but looking at more photos now realise they are to high, luckily the Milliput is still OK to be drilled up into when I cut out the door again. Note for next time, check, check then cut! If I was to leave this I think it wouldn't lok right at all.

Little bit more lads,

I've added the starboard undercarriage section, (although none of the panel lines align) not that it matters as the whole aircraft will be smooth before I touch it with a scriber.

8292576108_afaa100dfe_c.jpg

MB9T3277 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

Also cut a slot, ready to extend the sponsers (like the A-50), which will..

8292575234_4ca7f424ab_c.jpg

MB9T3279 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

house this, ready to build up around with milliput and sand to shape. Having never used milliput before I had to redo the inserts for the undercarriage as one of them hadn't set properly, my own fault for mixing it in a room not well lit! This has delayed fitting the other keel, but will do that tomorrow now.

8292575648_1e04953e93_c.jpg

MB9T3278 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

thanks guys!

Bit more then off to bed, only two days left of work so I'm up a bit later than usual!

Milliputted the areas that will need work, shall wait 24hrs before I start sanding,cutting etc... I love how you can wet your finger and rub into shape with Milliput, genius!! Had to dab with some tissue though to get rid of the excess hence 'fluff' on milliput in pics.

8291904643_afa41f8862_c.jpg

MB9T3280 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

8291904385_ae535d1ee7_c.jpg

MB9T3282 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

nice work, someday I may tackle a vac kit

Thanks Shawn,

You should do too, this is my third and the other two are still WIP's! Locheed Hudson can be seen in the WIP on here (link in signature) and my Seawolf is on Britmodeller somewhere.. Need to update that as it's about 70% done.