Vacform IL-76VKP/82 - Update page 5.

Radders

Hi guys,

I thought I would get this started. I've only got photos at the moment of the actual kit as I haven't taken any recently of what I've done, It's the Sanger IL-78 Midas vacform kit in 1/72nd.

I'm not to sure on what it's going to look like when done, the fuselage looks 'OK' but the tail plane is going to need some work as to me it don't look right. I'm not one for rivet counting but I would like it to resemble a IL-76/78 at least. I'm actually building this as a IL-82 / IL-76VKP (See here for those that don't know!)

I've cut out and sanded all the fuselage, made most of the bulkheads so the fuselage isn't far off going together. I'll try get an update tomorrow, although not to much to see atm! Once the fuselage is together I plan on cutting the front off to do all the interior of the cockit etc!

Here's the kit for the time being. (photos taken on a set of scales that are 4ft square to give a rough size)

7419269320_2e15c7e4e8_c.jpg
Sanger - IL-78 'Midas' - 1/72nd scale vacform kit. by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

7419269020_a0cd6d397c_c.jpg

7419269774_a4c5f0780c_c.jpg

Edited by Radders

Cheers guys,

WOW, lots of wheels. This could get interesting !..............Harv :popcorn:

I plan on making one good one and casting loads :)

Kev, I had that kit but sold it although I wish I kept it now. Lots of filling to do on this kit by the looks of it from a dry-fit.

'small' update, just to show how bad the fuselage is, not sure if this is because the plastic is to thin? Making a keel for the centre to push the bottom out, then either end will be bulkheads. I've bought a palm sander which is helping loads! I'll have a better update soon :)

8270220125_66df6a6cf2_z.jpg

IL76vac by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

I've made the keel, brought my modelling stuff into work as we've been quiet over the last few days etc, so i'm sat sanding it to shape as it wasn't perfect but with a test fit, it brings the fuselage back into shape! Few minor corrections and it can be fitted.

Photos tonight! :)

Managed to get a bit more done today :)

Keels for both fuselages, I've cut the teeth like pattern out on the top and bottom so little strips can be put in to help align the fuselage halfs. Both parts were seriously warped but with a dry fit tonight the fit is near perfect so I'm happy with the result. Will need some filler though as the mould isn't great and the plastic is quite thin/lumpy in spots.

8278872444_0b426a2652_z.jpg

MB9T3267 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

For the rear wheels/landing gear I've put 4 lumps of Milliput, then superglued into place once it was set. This I plan on drilling up into so that the struts can be placed.

8277815559_5f72fbfc3a_z.jpg

MB9T3263 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

from the outside you can see where the undercarriage will come through, on IL-76's it's all geardoors which are closed bar the little square. (Will be cleaned up and made good later on)

8277815361_52d57c5d08_z.jpg

MB9T3264 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

and lastly, the keel in place with the tabs. I've got two small bulkheads to fit which I've cut/shaped today but was hungry so stopped and started dinner....

8277814921_128233841c_z.jpg

MB9T3271 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

Cheers all, more tomorrow hopefully! ;)

Managed to get a bit more done today :)

For the rear wheels/landing gear I've put 4 lumps of Milliput, then superglued into place once it was set.

8277815559_5f72fbfc3a_z.jpg

MB9T3263 by Rainbow 1984, on Flickr

Radders,

If it isn't too late, pop the milliput out from inside the fuselage, and sand it down to give the plastic a rough surface texture- The plastic looks to be rather shiny, and every time I've used milliput, or apoxie (my personal favorite) on glossy plastic, it has popped off, perhaps because the plastic doesn't have enough "bite". HTH,

Hi mate,

This looks great and you're making cracking progress. The internal bulkhead idea looks to be working well and will no doubt provide much needed strength.

One tip if I may... you've inserted the small tabs where the fuselage halves will join, but in my experience you may need more as being more flexible than an injection kit, they are prone to splitting along the joins if they are not reinforced enough, especially when it comes to scribing etc.

Also, what are the main spars like? Any provided with the kit? I'd strongly suggest getting a spar sorted before joining the fuselage halves as this could be more tricky once joined.

It's great to see another man converted to the dark side; I'll be watching with great interest!

Tom