Kit Prices

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

I just noticed the new WNW kit Hannover CI.II is now available and the price is: $99.99. Prices have risen from $59 to $79 and now $99. Tamiya has joined NASA in shooting for the Moon! As the prices continue to climb, my rushing out and purchasing new kits as they are released, is OVER AND DONE! I've gone back to setting a budget and am now going to stick to it.

Last purchase this year if it is released is the P-6E Hawk or PT-22 and that's it, no matter what. Kit prices are just getting out of hand.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Prices are getting out of hand. That's why I look for really good deals. My local Hobbytown USA is having a sale from now to the end of the year and it is buy 2 get one FREE, that is 33% off.

I too am going back to a budget.

Mike

I've found not buying stuff right when it comes out is the trick. If its not limited production and is just going into the stash to age with the rest of them why not wait. You can usually pick them up a few months or a year down the road for a lot less. If your not building it right now what's the difference?

Guest Peterpools

The only problem is WNW kits only come direct from WNW and when they are gone , they're history. I'm trying to reserve my budget for strictly limited production kits and buys the others when prices come down and the budget allows.

Peter

How many people spend fortunes on kits only to have them in the 'stash'? I can understand the hobby, totally. I just don't get hoarding literally hundreds of kits.

I'll buy a kit at any price even if it takes a while to save, but only doing so knowing that i'm going to build it. But back to the OP, I agree, some kit prices are silly!

To all the WNW lovers, you can keep your "little Fokkers".....My Revell He 219 just arrive, door to door for $52 USD free shipping. Huge kit.

Bi-planes are for kids.........Bring on the schrage musik !

Troy

<<deleted

I was going to make a retort to that in defense of us "kids" who like biplanes but figured what is the point. I am glad you like your HE219.

Whilst I still baulk at the cost of some kits that hit our shelves. I think we should consider what we are getting for our money.

Hasegawa, Dragon and Tamiya seem to have become a lot more expensive over the last few years (I think Hasegawa the most startlingly so). Not sure why (exchange rates etc)???? Also many of us aren't feeling so well off (some of us really aren't so well off) so we re-assess how much kits are.

But in many cases what appears to be driving up prices is the outstanding quality or previously unimagined scale/size of the subject matter. Wingnuts are the top of the IM game, immaculately researched, flawlessly produced and in a package that really needs no aftermarket, ZM are also top flight, especially in their in depth of research, that really shows. Silver Wings resin is also near the top of the league and you pay for it.

Sorry, I hope that didn't come over as a rant. I just think that we are actually getting some very good value with some of the high end high price kits. I did wonder if the WNW CL II was $99 to help with the free postage.... maybe?

Matt

I don't get why "biplanes are for kids"?

I think it is a joke....

Especially when, in fact, the absolute opposite is generally the case - i.e. biplanes are usually what we tend to 'mature' into - due to the somewhat more demanding nature of their construction (both the real thing and the kits) and the consummately higher levels of patience required to complete one...

Matt

I can't speak for the WNW increase in prices, but I still think they are worth it. I mean shoot, look at the DVIIs; five and a half 8"x11" decal sheets in one kit? From an aftermarket company five sheets like that would be $50+ in total or more would they not? A lot of WW1 kits dont even come with the lozenge decals at all or the colors are so wrong it is almost silly.

A fair number of option parts and extras in the kits as well - different props, engine bits, multiple radiators, cowls, etc. The Hannover more expensive, but it is a two seater with a bigger wingspan etc. but it also comes with extras, bombs, flare racks, grenades, cameras for the observer, etc.

It might be that the rising cost of the raw materials used to make these kits along with the rising cost of transport may explain some of the increase. At least WNW has kept the prices fixed for each kit.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom

True but the cost of the kits have risen from $59 to now $99. That's a pretty hefty increase.

Peter

The original two seaters released three years ago were $79. Those released last year went to $89, now $99. The single seaters have progressed similarly with some variance - the Sop Tripe is $69, but there are fewer decals in that one for instance....

I guess what it comes down to for everyone if the prices are unexceptable or unreasonable to you then speak with your wallet and look elsewhere or buy HE219s :)