WNW Fokker D.VII is out!!

seiran01

I've ordered one too, plus a E.III - my first foray into the misty dark world of WW1 aircraft modelling - since childhood, when I used to glue my fingers together trying to align wing struts on 1/72 Nieuport 17's, etc! Hope I have more success now.

Peter, the 3 version represent the 3 major manufacturers, and are an "early" "mid", and "late version. The upgrades to the engine and related cowlings are the most obvious indicators. The early version has very few louvers in the cowl, which occassionaly caused enough heat to build up to detonate the ammo belts; sort of bad especially when one cannot just pull over to check what's going on.

Herr Clunk, you are very close on the albie vs. DVII issue, but I'll take the DVII.

I must have spent 1.5 hours today going back and forth at the WNW website, trying to figure out which DVII and decal sheet to get.

I still can't decide!

I'm curious: all you guys who have ordered the DVII--which specific aircraft are you planning to build first or which is your favoriet?

I think the stock Fokker built model has the strongest offering of versions from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

Edited by ringleheim

I ordered the OAW version and decals for my dad, and he ordered the Albatros version for me. He's planning the "Seven Swabians" version, and I'm planning either the white nose or blue nose version off of the Albatros kit sheet!

Can't wait to get my D.VII.

Matt :party0023:

For me, there is only one (for the moment anyway); the Albatros built version, so that I can perhaps finally finish my all time favorite Jasta 21 machine. Below is the aborted third attempt, the Roden 1:48 kit.

072812013.jpg

Guest Dekenba

For me, there is only one (for the moment anyway); the Albatros built version, so that I can perhaps finally finish my all time favorite Jasta 21 machine. Below is the aborted third attempt, the Roden 1:48 kit.

072812013.jpg

That is one lovely looking model aeroplane.

I must have spent 1.5 2.0 hours today going back and forth at the WNW website, trying to figure out which DVII and decal sheet to get.

lol, me too. I work overnight, and we were really slow for a change last night, and Ill bet I took 2 hrs or more going over, and over each version and its schemes to see which I wanted to do -

I'm curious: all you guys who have ordered the DVII--which specific aircraft are you planning to build first or which is your favorite?

Im in with one of two (ALB) versions -

Either Uffz Harbers, Jasta 73 -

fokker-dvii-alb-js73.jpg

OR one of my all time favs with 30 victories,

Carl Degelow's stag machine from Jasta 40 -

Fokker-DVII-Jasta40-Degelow-600px.png

Guest Dekenba

I think WNW have single handedly created quite a significant niche from what was quite a small market. From nothing at all, in a couple of years - it will enter MBA textbooks in years to come.

What is a little strange is that I know a couple of modellers who buy their kits in huge quantities but have never built a WW1 subject and are not really planning to!

The marketing, the artwork, the quality, the instructions, the markings, the paint-schemes - it all just come together to make an offering that is very attractive.

The "Sold Out" signs on WNW are an absolute genius piece of sales & marketing, turning the kits into collectables in their own right. I mean, what other manufacturer, with moulds sat in the corner and a marginal cost of production falling with every extra pressing, would not rush and produce as many kits as they could possibly sell?

Is it marketing genius, or just Peter Jackson & Co being too keen to make new kits and not that bothered about making money?

Not sure, but it's adding to the mystique and must-have of WNW in bucketfuls!

Then they hit us with a Salmson 2, their first foray outside German & British subjects, hinting at a move into SPADS and suchlike in years to come.

I'm like a kid in a sweetshop with 5p and jars of goodies abound!

I must have spent 1.5 hours today going back and forth at the WNW website, trying to figure out which DVII and decal sheet to get.

I still can't decide!

I'm curious: all you guys who have ordered the DVII--which specific aircraft are you planning to build first or which is your favoriet?

I think the stock Fokker built model has the strongest offering of versions from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

1) OAW kit - Jasta 19, Yellow nose, blue fuselage, white dragon on fuselage

2) Albatros kit - Jasta 40, Black fuselage, white tail, white stag on fuselage

3) Fokker kit - Jasta 18, Red front fuselage and wingtops, white tail

4) Fokker kit - undecided - Jasta 15, Red nose, blue fuselage, white skull and crossbones, or Jasta 10 yellow nose and Fokker green streaked camo (also flown by Lothar Von Richthofen)

Peter, the 3 version represent the 3 major manufacturers, and are an "early" "mid", and "late version. The upgrades to the engine and related cowlings are the most obvious indicators. The early version has very few louvers in the cowl, which occassionaly caused enough heat to build up to detonate the ammo belts; sort of bad especially when one cannot just pull over to check what's going on.

Herr Clunk, you are very close on the albie vs. DVII issue, but I'll take the DVII.

Well, considering how many Albatros kits I have by various kit companies, including the Austrian versions and the vacuforms (1/32 and 1/24), I think I'll start accumulating some D.VII kits now. As soon as I get some money that is.

But I am just not all that enthused about the D.VII as an aeroplane. Yes, I have to have at least one. But I prefer the Albatross because it is a beautiful aircraft whereas the D.VII is a box. I do not care for rectangular shapes in general.

Besides, I prefer the 2 seat observation-recon-photo-light bomber aeroplanes.

Stephen

I still can't decide!

For the Albatross-built version I'd like to do one from the Polish Air Force that fought in 1920/21 against the Bolsheviks. There is some discussion that it may actually have been armed with Vickers machine guns instead:

(from the WWIAviation.com website, under fair use)

Fokker_DVII-15-Eskadra_Mysliwska-sn-502-18-Polish_Airforce-1918-600px.png

The OAW version I'd like to finish as the "Seven Swabians" from the WNW Fokker D.VII sheet #4, unless something more interesting gets released in the meantime.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka