3D vinyl models?

Radders

Hi all,

I've seen somewhere on here, but for the life of me can't find it again.. someone making a model from a machine that was done using some form of equipment and a block of vinyl(?) I think it was laser cut.

Can anyone help?

i'm intrigued as to how it works and weather it's an expensive process?

Thanks all,

Radders ;)

Thats the one! I couldn't remember what it was.

I was thinking if someone could make something for me, then turn that into a master so it could be vacformed.

I'm trying to get out of carving up a load of balsa wood!

The part was built up layer by layer, with a computer controlled heated nozzle extruding a bead of molten plastic (probably ABS). There is a revolution happening in the rapid prototyping industry, and it is rapidly heading THIS way!...

http://website.denford.ltd.uk/news-menu/75-up-printer-news

This is just one of DOZENS of devices that will become available, or are already available for the hobbyist, rather than industrial users.

Watch this space.

Tim

Thats the one! I couldn't remember what it was.

I was thinking if someone could make something for me, then turn that into a master so it could be vacformed.

I'm trying to get out of carving up a load of balsa wood!

Hi Radders,

Carving Balsa can be a rather therapeutic hobby in and of itself- If you'd like some practice at it, go to solidmodelmemories.net and print out an old plan, with "snap gauges", and try your hand at it..... not difficult, and once you get the hang of it, you'll be making masters of lots of things. And the load of balsa you could buy, for the price of having something printed in 3D, would likely be sizable. Dr Frank Mitchell had a scratchbuilding tutorial over on Hyperscale a while back, but I'm not sure if it is still there. If not, maybe he could send you a copy- He's helpful with things like that, and he can be found here on LSP (fmitche). HTH!

I really should get cracking on that project again, as there was a lot of interest in it when I produced that V-1 as my first 3d printed project.

Eric.

Do you still plan to proceed with the V-1 Eric, or just consign it to a one-off test project?

Kev

Hi Radders,

Carving Balsa can be a rather therapeutic hobby in and of itself- If you'd like some practice at it, go to solidmodelmemories.net and print out an old plan, with "snap gauges", and try your hand at it..... not difficult, and once you get the hang of it, you'll be making masters of lots of things. And the load of balsa you could buy, for the price of having something printed in 3D, would likely be sizable. Dr Frank Mitchell had a scratchbuilding tutorial over on Hyperscale a while back, but I'm not sure if it is still there. If not, maybe he could send you a copy- He's helpful with things like that, and he can be found here on LSP (fmitche). HTH!

Cheers Lee, have been on that site but can't find where to download?

I think I would like a Learjet 35, but if there is a large list then I will have a scout through as i'm open to all sort of aircraft, especially Russian.

Eric, would be great to see the V1 progress :)