Craftworks Mitsubishi A5M4 "Claude"

This build was done as part of the "Fallen Comrades" Group Build, in honor of Dave Thompson, who mastered this kit. It's mostly resin, with some parts in white metal and various other media. The main parts are cast in solid resin. Therefore, this is one HEAVY model. The build thread can be found here, but here's a short list of some of the things I did to the kit:

*Riveted entire airframe, one at a time, with a jeweler's punch.

*Added various wires/hoses to cockpit.

*Added pushrods, ignition wires and wire clips to engine.

*Hollowed out exhaust pipes.

*Gun blast tubes from brass tubing.

*Scratchbuilt windscreen.

*Scratchbuilt telescopic gun sight, as the original was too large for scale.

*Wing lights made from clear sprue. Tail cone light made by contouring CA glue over a small bit of wire.

I had a great time building this kit. It may not be the perfect kit, or the perfect build of said kit, but it was more rewarding than any other kit I've ever built, being a tribute to a man that had such a passion for the hobby. It also gave me an even greater appreciation for what Dave brought us and, considering that this is basically a "garage kit" in every sense of the word, I was amazed at the level of thought and detail that went into it. I only hope that my execution of it would meet Dave's approval and that, through my build, others can appreciate the legacy that he left us. We miss you, Dave!

Sincerely,

John

A5M4Claude073.jpg

A5M4Claude075.jpg

A5M4Claude076.jpg

A5M4Claude078.jpg

A5M4Claude080.jpg

A5M4Claude083.jpg

A5M4Claude085.jpg

A5M4Claude087.jpg

A5M4Claude089.jpg

A5M4Claude091.jpg