P-61 $$

Saber

In the UK, Hannants have the P-61 (future release) advertised at £119.99 - at that price would be post free in the UK from them. In my experience they don't quote prices until they know what they will sell it for, so probably a firm price from them.

• 3 months later...

Ordered mine here:

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Model_Aircraft/browse.php?s=0&t=0&u=0&micr=565&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&era=0,6&ct=1&sc=32

$129.99 + $9.95 standard shipping. I would have ordered from Brandon at Freetime but we are both in GA and that would have cost me another $10 or so in sales tax same for Tim at TS Hobbies. Sorry guys!!

Dont feel bad Barry, I dont blame you at all for finding the best deals. I too want items that sometimes Freetime has in stock, but because of the taxman I usually go elsewhere. (yes, I actually do buy things for myself from other dealers)

We the modelers decide what the price we will pay for a kit. Revell has been selling twin engine bombers at a fraction of the price of a HK kit. Is a hundred or so bucks make a model that much better? Not to me. If no one likes their prices and doesn't buy the kits, they will either lower their prices or fold. I'm sure Revell makes even more money per plane than HK, because modelers are not as intimidated by the prices. If people aren't as satisfied over the details, there will always be after market companies to come to the rescue. As far as the $250 price on an old Aurora kit, it was only a couple dollars in it's day. There are a lot better ways to invest money than modeling. Prices on eBay show old models don't sell that high. A good example would be the old Revell Raiden. It was expensive to by, but since it's recent release, the price on the old one has dropped considerably. This shows that generally speaking more people are more interested in the plane and not the vintage or box number.

We the modelers decide what the price we will pay for a kit. Revell has been selling twin engine bombers at a fraction of the price of a HK kit. Is a hundred or so bucks make a model that much better? Not to me. If no one likes their prices and doesn't buy the kits, they will either lower their prices or fold. I'm sure Revell makes even more money per plane than HK, because modelers are not as intimidated by the prices. If people aren't as satisfied over the details, there will always be after market companies to come to the rescue. As far as the $250 price on an old Aurora kit, it was only a couple dollars in it's day. There are a lot better ways to invest money than modeling. Prices on eBay show old models don't sell that high. A good example would be the old Revell Raiden. It was expensive to by, but since it's recent release, the price on the old one has dropped considerably. This shows that generally speaking more people are more interested in the plane and not the vintage or box number.

Well, apparently since there are so many big scale kits coming out at $150+ price tag, and they are selling, the "modelers" HAVE spoken and will ante up for nicer kits. Revell creates models to a price point, and while nice, they frequently lack the refinement and details that the more expensive kits do have. To bring them up to the standards of many higher priced kits does require after market stuff which costs $$$. Do you HAVE to buy the after market stuff if you are happy with the kit details? No, but you can't say because you, as a modeler, are happy with what they gave you, ALL "modelers" should be happy as well and boycott anything that costs more. Based on the response to the P-61 here and other places, the price tag isn't putting too many people off from getting one if its something that interests them.Its interesting though, that I rarely hear anyone say that they are going to boycott Tamiya kits that cost in the $150+ range to get them to lower the price.

Modelers have spoken. Years ago Monogram discontinued the Phantom Mustang because modelers preferred the cheaper Mustang kit without all the bells and whistles. Tamiya got rid of their A6M5 with the sound and operating features, because it cost too much. I don't believe ZM is going to fair well. They really don't need after market anything, but their kits just have more than the average modeler wants and are too pricy. People are grabbing Revell's Heinkle Owl over ZM. As far as HK's much better quality that doesn't need after market. This simply isn't true. HK is simply not $100+ better quality than Revell to me. I feel the only reason I think HK is taking off is the releases of American bombers. I would not imagine that subject matter is as popular in Europe. We will not know for sure until the first non-American bomber is released. Remember, HK only came out with the first B-25 a few months ago. I will be having to decide on the Lancaster if it comes out, and the same for a HP Hallifax, but again that will be no one's choice but mine