Trumpeter JU-87 corrected and just finished in time for Telford

tigger

You don't need the Revell offering - it's nose is too small as well.

Spats from the C21st maybe, but I am not paying £30 for that old kit just for spats; will compare to plans myself when my kit arrives and probably graft on plastic myself or just leave them be...

Just to be curious: How about grafting Trumpeters cockpit and greenhouse to the 21st Cent kit?

Or to ask it the other way around: How correct is the 21st Cent kit in overall shape? Except for the sparse cockpit, odd greenhouse and lacking rear flaps at the radiator? Would the 21st Cent kit be a better starting point for a B model Stuka, with some pe/resin aftermarket and/or the Trumpeter kit as "aftermarket" parts donor?

Regards

- dutik

Guest KingK_series

Just to be curious: How about grafting Trumpeters cockpit and greenhouse to the 21st Cent kit?

Or to ask it the other way around: How correct is the 21st Cent kit in overall shape? Except for the sparse cockpit, odd greenhouse and lacking rear flaps at the radiator? Would the 21st Cent kit be a better starting point for a B model Stuka, with some pe/resin aftermarket and/or the Trumpeter kit as "aftermarket" parts donor?

Regards

- dutik

The Trumpeter kit is by far the best, and a very very good starting point - the inaccuracies as far as they go are no worse than most any out of the box kit, and I absolutely include the 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire IXc and VIII in that regard, such innacuracies in the Trumpeter or the Tamiya are just a spur to do the research,modification and refinement which is the best part by far in modeling, anything out of the box would be just plan dull in my view.

The Trumpeter like the Tamiya is a very good kit, a good starting point for anyone who enjoys modeling and will make a fine an accurate LSP with no more effort than any other kit in my view.

As I have said the most obvious correction that needs to be made is to the air duct behind the engine cowls where they are "set off" from the fusilage duct pressing behind, the spats are easily corrected with milliput to increase their depth, no need to hack them about or pinch bits from other kits unless you really want them to be 16 guage throughout.

- have confidence in the Trumpeter

The Trumpeter kit is by far the best, and a very very good starting point - the inaccuracies as far as they go are no worse than most any out of the box kit, and I absolutely include the 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire IXc and VIII in that regard, such innacuracies in the Trumpeter or the Tamiya are just a spur to do the research,modification and refinement which is the best part by far in modeling, anything out of the box would be just plan dull in my view.

The Trumpeter like the Tamiya is a very good kit, a good starting point for anyone who enjoys modeling and will make a fine an accurate LSP with no more effort than any other kit in my view.

As I have said the most obvious correction that needs to be made is to the air duct behind the engine cowls where they are "set off" from the fusilage duct pressing behind, the spats are easily corrected with milliput to increase their depth, no need to hack them about or pinch bits from other kits unless you really want them to be 16 guage throughout.

- have confidence in the Trumpeter

Really? You think the worst thing about the Trumpeter kit is a missing "gap" behind the engine cowls? Not the fact that the entire nose assembly is undersized by 2mm to 3mm (actual), the spinner is undersized and misshapen, the prop blades are 6.1mm too short, the canopies have interior framing molded on the outside and of course, the spats that are not shaped properly in any direction (deepening with milliput will not fix it)?

And you think the aforementioned errors are comparable to some supposed errors with the Tamiya Spifire series?

Doug

Regards

- dutik

The 21C kit has the same undersized nose as the Trumpeter kit. While the nose and spats are messed up, the rest of the Trumpeter kit is quite good. The Revell kit is undersized overall, which is why the small nose looks better on it.

Can't comment on accuracy or quality of the set, just wanted to let you know about this product

Great info! I'm going to have to order that prop! Looks like they are using accurate measurements based on the instructions - you can see that the base plate sticks out from the kit part in the last photo, which shows some of the nose size issues I've mentioned with the kit.

Doug

Well...

...I still have a 21st C '87 here. The story of how I got into possession of that kit is a good laugh, but I want to make the best of it one day...

...as the aftermarket nose seems reasonably priced, I might try to graft it on that kit...? :blink:

The 21C kit has the same undersized nose as the Trumpeter kit. While the nose and spats are messed up, the rest of the Trumpeter kit is quite good. The Revell kit is undersized overall, which is why the small nose looks better on it.

Doug

So what should be corrected at the nose size of Trumpys and 21Cent kits? Just add some styrene between the fuselage halves, or has it to made higher too? Lenght of the engine compartment should be ok, if I understand it right?

I have some 21Cent B's at the stash, so this would make a cheaper starting point than a Trumpeter kit to add some aftermarket parts. BTW, what references would you recommend? Mushroom book? Aero Detail? Squadron in-action? I have the japanese "Famous airplanes of the world", but this has just in-action photos and a sideview drawing of the Berta.

Thanks in advance!

- dutik

Guest KingK_series

Really? You think the worst thing about the Trumpeter kit is a missing "gap" behind the engine cowls? Not the fact that the entire nose assembly is undersized by 2mm to 3mm (actual), the spinner is undersized and misshapen, the prop blades are 6.1mm too short, the canopies have interior framing molded on the outside and of course, the spats that are not shaped properly in any direction (deepening with milliput will not fix it)?

And you think the aforementioned errors are comparable to some supposed errors with the Tamiya Spifire series?

Doug

Well on the subject of the Tamiya - I spent most of yesterday pouring over a 1942 spitfire and c wing. The Tamiya wheel well is very wrong, as are the radiator ducts, the Tamiya fusilage has a very exaggerated shape in the fusilage 'waisting' behind the fixed rear canopy and the rear canopy itself.

As for drawings - I learn't to be very cautious about them when making a bf 109.

Edited by KingK_series