ID Avro Lancaster BI/III damn you LSP'ers

Lancman

Hi guys after taking a break from modelling I have been lured back to the dark side by all the great builds and the big bombers on show, with Rich and the B-17, Tom the B29, Cees re-starting the Halibag and the Stirling over on Britmodeller I had to join in and not forgetting Ironmans Defiant. So I dug out the old girl and wasn't happy so I managed to get a cheap pair of fuselage sides and decided to start again, this time I have aquired more bits to help along the build. It will be a mixed bag build of plastic, balsa, resin and metal and here are a few goodies to show you.

The fuselage parts, the only downside is that one half is smaller than the other in width so will need a shim. .

fuselage.jpg

A fellow LSP'er gave me a set of engines, wheels, tail feathers and other bits and bobs all made out of resin. The engines are stunning as are the other parts. I will let him own up as a can't remember if I was to blabb or not :evil_laugh:

lancbits.jpg

engine1.jpg

engine.jpg

then I am going to see if I can use some of the parts from the Hachette wooden Lancaster that I managed to buy (not the whole kit) but the props are the needle version and look sweet here is the wooden cabin and the prop tack'd on to the resin engine and a nice fit too.

frames.jpg

engine2.jpg

So now just pulling everything out and seeing what can be used but hopefully a taster to what is to come.

Graham

aha! Will be following this with great interest as my dad has built the hachette kit recently. In fact it is lurking in the garage about 10% from completion as three times the nose transparencies were broken in the post.

If you need to know anything about his build to help yours please let me know

Meanwhile this should prove to be very interesting indeed!

PS I am assuming you've seen that amazing 1/48 build on the Hellenic Modellers website?

http://www.helmo.gr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=684&Itemid=1

Cut both halves off the backing sheet and noticed there is a ridge running around the fuselage which I have not seen on previous mouldings, so I have marked roughly where it runs so it looks like there is quite a lot of plastic to be sanded away.

fuselagecut.jpg

Graham

Mate I will watch this build with interest, particularly the combination of plastic and the Magazine kit. I have the whole kit from the magazines, and to be honest I am really surprised at the level of detail, so if you need copies of anything let me know and we can work something out. The only real issue is the clear parts are very very thick, and the turrets lack detail. If you know where I can get vac formed canopies and turret housings let me know (H2S too?)

Anyway if you need anything, particularly IP, engineer panel or radios let me know and I can provide what I can

Cheers

Andy

This is going to be an interesting one to watch. The ID Lancaster was pretty good in my opinion and went together well. Having the magazine parts will certainly help with the turrets and landing gear - I had to crash mold my own turrets and completely scratch the gear.

Here was my effort from a couple of years ago:

P1000593-1.jpg

P1000596.jpg

P1000595.jpg

P1000594.jpg

I'll be checking in regularly!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the offers guys I think you will be getting hounded, not much to show but as I said i'm taking a different approach with this one. My old and late friend Larry H said the best way he went about his big bomber builds was to cut them up into smaller sub assy's, so taking a leaf out of Larry's book I have cut the Lanc into 3 sections. His idea is as they are smaller you can work either on one or all and hopefully not get yourself into a rut plus the access is a lot easier rather than trying to man handle the entire thing, so here's hoping. Tom if I get my Lanc looking anything like yours i'll be a happy man.

Lanccutup.jpg

Graham

Hmm interesting.

I hit the lamp hanging high over the kitchen tabel several times yesterday evening while working on the Halifax. Had thought about cutting off the cockpit section too. Haven't made up my mind yet as getting them back together can be tricky.

How are you going to fit them toghether again without any distortion?

Cees