Revell's (not so) new 1:32 He 219 "UHU"

Iain

Jerry,

You were no hold up at all buddy - choice of a day wandering around the countryside with good company, or a day at the office - easy win!

As promised - here's the route we took:

578988_10151161737538123_439742960_n.jpg

Thought you coped with my daft car exceptionally well! :)

OK - to everyone else - I'll be back on the UHU later today - pondering on thoughts that Matt and I had last weekend and subsequent study of photo's...

Iain

Guest Nigelr32

Iain, you took an American guy out in a Lotus, with the roof down, in the winter, on Cotswolds roads... Are you the torturer???

Poor Jerry probably now has a bad back, flu and chill burns on his head??

My soft top went away last month, and wont reapperar until at least March??

Edited by Nigelr32

'F' is under 'H' - Burford - we did it twice - second time for lunch and a pint of Hobgoblin :)

Main_Street_in_BurfordOxfordshire%2C_UK.jpeg

http://www.burfordcotswolds.co.uk/

Hobgoblin is one of our local brews - and it appears it's what our Prime Minister (who lives around the corner from where I type this) gave to the US President a while back - so there's a precedent!

HobgoblinAle.JPG

wychwood_hobgoblin.jpg

http://www.wychwood.co.uk

This has been a public service announcement courtesy of the 32SIG - now - back to models ;)

Iain

Having at this point in my life, a lot of padding,I am pretty much inured to the cold and the wool cap on me head was the ticket as well. The top down let me enjoy the breathtaking views even better so it was all good.

Matt and I had the privilage of drinking some pints in the Black Bear Pub in Tewkesbury of a local home brew. Only 4 barrels were brewed so I can safely say I am the only one from North America to ever drink it. Tasty Tasty.

On the topic at hand,Matt tells me that the top of the rear fuselage on this new kit is slightly misshapen and is a little too flat? Requires some sanding to get a more rounded shape to run back into the vert. tail? What are your views here?

J

UHU is out again tonight for first time since Telford - been going through a bunch of emails Matt has sent me (with some great images) and I think were getting somewhere - yes - there are some cross sectional areas towards the rear of the fuselage that need sorting (more curves) - so going to attack this area next.

We've also got other areas we think need tweaking - but more research needed before we post.

Matt - please chip in to share your thoughts!

Pix at the weekend...

Iain

I will chip in cautiously. I don't for a moment want to denigrate Revell's offering. Its a fantastic kit and the levels of detail at the price point are frankly to be envied by most other manufacturers (keep 'em coming Revell). I have bought another two for myself, so I'm pretty committed to the kit.

Iain has mentioned the rear fuselage top profile - too 'flat topped' too far back - easy peasy to fix, sanding.... There's also what looks (to my eyes) a CAD artefact on the rear sides of the fuselage, some changes of contour that catch the light where there should be smooth surfaces - no biggy (more sanding), less obvious when there's paint on the thing.

Engine nacelles look good to me. They certainly change from circular at face to 'squarer' at the firewall. They also matched up well with ZMs parts. Maybe a little flat on top - not sure as I haven't stared at enough photos for long enough yet.....

I shall start a build here soon and explain some of what I'm doing. I may also convert it back to an A-0 or early A-2 as I like the combination of FuG 202 and FuG 220 radar aerials....

Anyway, back to Iain.....

Matt

Edited by mattlow

Very informative build,so far, Iain. Are you going to be using the kit decals?

Matt looking forwad to seeing you back date the kit. I am toying with the idea of doing the V1 in all black so it will be handy to see what needs doing. Unfortunately that also means I will have to get another kit to do in normal camo. :(

Steve

Hi Steve

The V1 was quite a different beast to Revell's offering. Shorter fuselage (940mm), shorter nacelle rears, steps for proposed barbettes upper and lower fuselage, diff canopy rear (to accommodate rear firing MG - though doubtfully fitted), four bladed props, smaller vertical stabs, no heater units (and tus no intakes/outlets), no flame dampers and no radar (from memory those are the major external diffs). Was later revised to be somewhat closer to Revell kit config.

I had initially thought (due to the amount of misidentification of photos and erroneous data in both books and on the net) that the late and early aircraft had big differences between them. This isn't the case. After first few prototypes, major diffs were rear canopy (though this became standardised as per Revell kit quite early), supercharger intake shape (again standard as per Revell quite early) and whether rear nacelle had a fuel tank or not (easy to change - fill and sand filler detail).

So to make an earlier machine in theory I can get away with change of supercharger intake shape and the radar fit.

Matt

Steve - yes - plan to use kit decals.

Trying to get motivated again at present - need to attack the rear fuselage with some coarse wet and dry - but still studying photos.

Iain

If you can wait a little longer - Matt and I have been comparing with *lots* of photos - but, in essence needs rounding off in cross section.

We also have a number of other areas we're comparing notes on.

But before everyone goes off half-cocked with comments about 'fatal flaws' all over the interweb we want to be really sure of our findings/tweaks. Stuff spreads like topsy and gets embellished - I'll re-state it's a superb kit - and excellent value - but there may be a few tweaks the absolutely fastidious may want to do.

When Matt and I are happy we'll post pix/thoughts here.

Iain

Edited by 32SIG