Revell's (not so) new 1:32 He 219 "UHU"

Iain

I got to compare the shapes of the Revell and ZM kits earlier today - I'll post thoughts later in week (just got home - need bath and bed.

Fundamentally the nacelles look fine and the two kits match each other very well. There appears to be a difference in nose/windshield contours and the nature of some of the curves on the fuselage.

As said - I'll post more detailed thoughts later in week - but still very pleased with the Revel kit :)

Edit - and thanks to Radu I have a set of his cowl flaps - so will be using those in the build.

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

I got to compare the shapes of the Revell and ZM kits earlier today - I'll post thoughts later in week (just got home - need bath and bed.

Fundamentally the nacelles look fine and the two kits match each other very well. There appears to be a difference in nose/windshield contours and the nature of some of the curves on the fuselage.

As said - I'll post more detailed thoughts later in week - but still very pleased with the Revel kit :)

Edit - and thanks to Radu I have a set of his cowl flaps - so will be using those in the build.

Iain

Cool, thanks Iain, appreciate that. Im definitely going to get one.............hell maybe even both, not sure yet. BUT, if I do just get one, Id like to make sure its the more accurate of the two, and dont want to pre-judge or take anyone's word on it without proof.

Guest Nigelr32

Hey Brian, I don't think absolute accuracy will make your mind up on which one to get.

As I see it, the facts are thus:- Revells kit is an absolute bargain, my only complaint is the fact that it hasn't got full rivet coverage, which I realise some will like?? and it looks really good in the flesh. The ZM kit is a whole different ballgame. ZM had modules of the aircraft on display. All I can tell you is that the engines and cockpit looked as good as resin. Typical of ZM all the structure is included, even down to the control cables running down the fuselage. Yes, I know, you won't see it on the finished model, but you'll know it's there and love every minute of building it.

As far as I'm concerned, it was the most impressive new kit at the show, however, and this is a big however......

It's going to be at least three times the price of the Revell kit...... before the importers get their grubby mits on it!!

I've just read this thread from start to finish and wow, am I impressed!! love what you've done with this, the first o.o.b. I've seen so far. Great stuff.

Grant

PS: Looked for you at Telford but each time I passed the table I couldn't see you. Really enjoyed seeing the goodies on the table though.

Guest Nigelr32

Didn't stop you ordering one though eh Nige! :whistle:

Hey Dave, I only put my name down for a pre-order.. after all ZM need all the help they can get....

Nigel, how much was the pre-order price???

When Iain and I took his part build over to the ZM stand to compare we did notice a couple of differences. Obviously, comparing one kit to another kit doesn't tell you if one is more correct than the other. That requires comparison to photographs (and I don't mean comparing a side view of kit to a side view of actual a/c) and reliable drawings.

I'll start the Revell UHU soon and do a bit more correction/detail than Iain, so I'll show what I've found as I go along. To put what I've found in context, I shall certainly buy another Revell kit, there's nothing 'fatal' in my view. Revell's build up looked very impressive and every inch a Heinkel 219. Props do let it down a little, though injection moulded props rarely seem to get it totally right.

The ZM kit is a beauty in its own way. The engine, cockpit and undercarriage looked (as said above) as good as any aftemarket you're likely to see and some of the surface detail is exquisitely done - down to lapped panels on the wing surfaces. One of the chaps on the ZM stand said they'd spent 10 days studying the real deal and I think this shows in the detail and the price.

I think both companies have produced what their share of the market expects - Revell outstanding VFM, excellent base kit, fine OOB and a great canvas for hyper detail; ZM a sort of Fabergé egg of a kit, highly refined, many hidden intricacies and a price tag to match.

Matt

Iain, I was so self-involved finishing up my Skyraider, I failed to notice your WIP... I am now enjoying watching a master at work... good job so far, and production being done at ramming speed... boom, boom... boom, boom... I plan to stay tuned...

BTW, regarding ZM... I picked up my Skyraider and my completed 1/32 Tamiya P51D and was astonished at how insubstantial the Mustang was compared to the Raider... ZM packs a lot of plastic into a small space! I am looking forward to the arrival of the Raiden... Mitch :goodjob:

Guest Nigelr32

Matt, the pre order price was, if I remember correctly, 130,000yen or something along those lines? From memory it was about £120?

Lets just say I'll be collecting it about a year from now from an address in Telford!!

Gimme a break you lot! :fight:

;)

I've *still* got a living room full of packing boxes from the Telford show (transporting 27 1:32 models aint easy) - and was out all day with Jerry yesterday - so it's prolly not going to be until the weekend I get going again...

Matt - got your emails - just pondering on those images (brilliantly useful!) :)

Iain

Sorry to hold you up but I had a brilliant time and a massive amount of fun. Cotswolds,Blenhem Palace,Oxford,blimey! Imagine my euphoria as I found meself in a Cotswold valley village riding in a Lotus sportscar sans roof as a beautiful lady rode by on a horse with her dog on a leash. If I had imagined it,the scene couldn't have been much better.

Iain,you may be soon in an arms race with Matt,as he has started his own Heinkel project.

J